Talk

Advanced search

To be irritated by kids dressing up as Buzz Lightyear on World Book Day?

(235 Posts)
theoracleofdelphi Thu 02-Mar-17 11:07:03

It's World Book Day. Children are invited to go to school as their favourite book character. Why oh why is Facebook full of photos of little darlings dressed as Buzz Lightyear & various Disney Princesses?!
For some reason it really makes my teeth itch! gringringrin

ineedamoreadultieradult Thu 02-Mar-17 11:09:23

YABU you can get books based on tour story and Disney princesses are largely based on original fairy tales. Don't be a book snob.

Soubriquet Thu 02-Mar-17 11:14:13

Why?

The Disney films are based on books and the toy story films went on to be books

It's still a book!

Resurgam2016 Thu 02-Mar-17 11:14:38

Book Day is a special sort of pain schools inflict on parents. If the parents choose to go for an 'easy' option then good on them for not bowing to the peer pressure. Most kids who dress up have costumes inspired by the film of the book anyway. Nothing wrong with book of film.

YABU

TheOnlyLivingBoyinNewCork Thu 02-Mar-17 11:15:37

If my kid wants to dress up in a costume they already have rather than me having to make or buy another costume, then that is exactly what they will wears.

iklboo Thu 02-Mar-17 11:15:37

Most Disney princesses are based on Grimms Fairy Tales.

littlefrog3 Thu 02-Mar-17 11:17:06

I didn't think of Toy Story as a book, but if it's keeping them out of trouble, and they're having fun; where's the harm?

Hope they are reading a book though! hmm

Whiterabbitears Thu 02-Mar-17 11:18:32

I would imagine its because most kids may already have a Disney princess dress so its easier, sod buying or making a new outfit for one day!

PhilODox Thu 02-Mar-17 11:19:41

My children are only allowed to go as characters from books, but other people's children? Meh- everyone has different priorities, let it go said Elsa, not in a book, but extremely valuable advice for life.

AfroPunk Thu 02-Mar-17 11:21:40

YAB a book snob rather than particularly U.

My 8yo dd loves A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens ... and got into the book via The Muppets film. I might add that she refused to go dressed as her favourite character, Scrooge, and instead opted for a character in another book who wears similar clothes to her! So it looks like I just haven't been arsed to do anything 😂

5yo dd went in as Tinkerbell. What can I say? She loves Disney and as long as she's enthusiastic about books/books through films, who am I to judge?

ButtonBoo Thu 02-Mar-17 11:22:57

I tend to agree with you OP. Of course it's no real harm and they're having fun but it is supposed to be a day celebrating books. If it was World Character Day then that's one thing. The idea of World Book Day is to promote books and a love of reading.

Disney princesses are a pass. But Batman and Iron Man etc...confused

iklboo Thu 02-Mar-17 11:23:18

Tinkerbell is in a book though. Peter Pan by JM Barrie predates the cartoon.

AfroPunk Thu 02-Mar-17 11:24:37

Oh, yes, of course! Dd is more interested in Disney Tink atm 😊

ButtonBoo Thu 02-Mar-17 11:26:50

And you dont have to spend a load of money on new outifts. Reuse a Halloween outfit for a whole load of witchy books - Worst Witch, Meg & Mog, Winnie the Witch, or nightdress for Sophie from BFG. We had tigers from Tiger who came to Tea and pirates from Peter Pan. Most folk can find black trousers, stripy top and draw a pirates patch on one eye.

Getting into the spirit of things doesn't have to cost £. Just a little thought and effort.

PinkCrystal Thu 02-Mar-17 11:27:35

Yabu

My DC wear what we already have. Sometimes that's a superhero. They always have a book of it so what's the issue?

I haven't got time nor inclination to make or buy fancy costumes.

Mamadothehump Thu 02-Mar-17 11:27:43

Oh get over it, where's the harm??

AlmaMartyr Thu 02-Mar-17 11:27:47

Don't be such a snob. These characters are all in books, there's nothing wrong with dressing up as them. Dressing up has sod all to do with reading. If you're interested in promoting reading then visit a library. I'm a librarian and love seeing kids enjoying books, whether they're full of Disney characters or not.

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 02-Mar-17 11:28:15

Ha! I encourage all my children to read/enjoy being read to, but if I get a request from nursery/school to come up with a costume at a few days notice, they're going in costumes we already own!

Soubriquet Thu 02-Mar-17 11:29:06

Iron man and the like were originally a comic book. So they pass too

user1487194234 Thu 02-Mar-17 11:30:03

I used to care about this when my kids were in YR I got over it smile(Looks at DS dressed in football kit from Striker annual)

NerrSnerr Thu 02-Mar-17 11:31:43

Why do you care what other people's children are wearing?

2anddone Thu 02-Mar-17 11:33:33

I don't have a problem with children going in a Disney costume they already have! My problem is the parents that spend a fortune buying costumes from shops complete with all the accessories then put photos on Facebook for parents to comment 'well done' or 'they look fab'...obviously they do the parents have spent a bloody fortune!!
disclaimer my 2 went in normal clothing as famous five.

Nanny0gg Thu 02-Mar-17 11:33:40

It's amazing how many books there are with Chelsea or Man U footballers in them...

pleasecomesoonspring Thu 02-Mar-17 11:35:56

I don't know why people are so bothered about what others are wearing! Just get on with your own kids outfits and forget the rest

financialiasco Thu 02-Mar-17 11:37:08

Getting into the spirit of things doesn't have to cost £. Just a little thought and effort.

How fucking patronising. You have no idea what goes on in other people's lives and what else they may be having to contend with that means there is no scope for anything else. Also, they are entitled to make decisions and choose not to get sucked in to the whole rigmarole of it.

The vast majority of films have books/comics that came before or after anyway. And what if a small child has a tantrum because they want to wear a batman costume? Is it really worth arguing over? Will forcing the issue make them love books? Nope.

This is coming from a very tired and grumpy English teacher who loves reading and whose children also love reading, but who had OFSTED in this week and really can't be arsed with the whole thing now. My boys will be going in whatever they can find/whatever they choose tomorrow, as long as it takes zero, or nearly zero effort from me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now