Talk

Advanced search

To be seemingly unable to deal with any kind of footwear?

(25 Posts)
JonesyAndTheSalad Thu 02-Mar-17 06:30:18

I'm 44. I've always had "shoe problems" as my sister says.

I have big feet...a size 7-8 depending on what stlye I'm wearing.

I'm fine in a big, hard wearing boot...some sort of Doc Marten...but any other shoe seems to fall apart when I wear it.

I can't wear high heels or sandals as my weird shaped feet try to bust out of them....tried wide fitting and they just don't look pretty like the shoes in normal fittings look.

I destroy flip flops and good quality sandals or trainers in a matter of weeks.

I now live in Australia and I have quite a big garden and house all of a sudden...also got a few chickens and a big dog...which means I'm in and out all day.

I got crocs for the garden but they let in the dust meaning my poor feet are now cracked and black!

What am I meant to wear?? I can't be putting on boots every single time I come outside and taking them off again!

It annoys me to constantly take off and put on shoes!

MrsTarzan1 Thu 02-Mar-17 06:33:05

I'm similar, mine are a 9 and I find I wreck shoes, I think I must stomp around in them!

Not sure what to suggest, but I sympathise!

saladsmoothie Thu 02-Mar-17 06:34:31

I'm rubbish with shoes too. I think my feet are designed differently to normal people.

Anyway, have you tried a good quality hiking sandal? Teva or similar? Some of them are not too German holidaymaker.

Crumbs1 Thu 02-Mar-17 06:41:18

I'm size 7.5 - 8 and hate uncomfortable shoes. I hate shoes in general.
Heels for work I do Clarks with a hidden platform that reduce heel height without looking lower. They go up to side 8 at least and wider fit. I wear flats for travelling and change on arrival.
I have some hotter loafers in a couple of different colours that are not too hideous, in several colours and very comfortable for everyday use in summer/spring.
I have 'plodders' flattish black slip ons that are extremely comfortable for winter daily use. Also ankle boots in several colours that I'm a recent convert to.
It's hard though - I've also always been hard on shoes, roll them over sideways and hate uncomfortable feet. I'm no good in sandals either because my feet dry out and crack and become agony.

Raisinbrain Thu 02-Mar-17 06:42:39

Have you tried Birkenstocks?
Otherwise just stock up on flip flops? That's all most people seem to ever wear down under.

steff13 Thu 02-Mar-17 06:59:21

I'm a size 12. I'm in Ohio, my everyday footwear are crocs flip flops. Unless there's snow on the ground. smile Have you tried a slip on boat shoe, like Sperrys or similar? For work, I wear Tieks. They're flats, but I'm fairly tall, so that works for me. They're the most comfortable shoe I've ever owned.

sparkli Thu 02-Mar-17 16:39:25

Have you tried Merrell sandals? I love flip flops, but since my stroke, I can't wear them. My right foot rolls out slightly. I wanted something comfy for my holiday last year and decided to spend a bit more and buy decent sandals. We walked miles and my foot was never sore and they look nice too.

sparkli Thu 02-Mar-17 16:39:43

I'm also a size 8.

DrinksFewAndPeopleMany Thu 02-Mar-17 16:44:17

Men's shies. Better made and cheaper angry, go a size or half a size down.

DrinksFewAndPeopleMany Thu 02-Mar-17 16:44:33

Shoes!

Megatherium Thu 02-Mar-17 16:48:04

Would canvas shoes be OK? I find Skechers GoWalk shoes incredibly comfortable, but they need to be the sock type that are made out of canvas; their other shoes seem to be made out of some sort of synthetic material that isn't nearly as forgiving of odd foot shapes.

JonesyAndTheSalad Fri 03-Mar-17 23:45:10

Thanks all. But see...I wouldn;t mind a pretty shoe! All this talk of Birckenstocks and men's shoes. It's sad! sad

BewtySkoolDropowt Sat 04-Mar-17 07:14:07

What about looking at shoes aimed at cross-dressers and transvestites?

I know someone that has a similar issue and that has worked well for her.

SEmyarse Sat 04-Mar-17 07:18:49

I have the opposite problem. I can't bear the sensation of proper shoes at all, there's now way I could wear boots. So actually end up wearing flipflips in January for my job as a delivery driver and giving myself horrendous chilblains.

Pigglesworth Sat 04-Mar-17 07:25:02

If you are in Australia, I really recommend Bared shoes - expensive but worth it, very well-made/hardy, and accommodate all types of feet. If you don't live in Melbourne you can order them online - I find them true to size: bared.com.au/women

acquiescence Sat 04-Mar-17 07:47:26

If crocs work wear then with some socks for at home. Not v pretty but comfy.

ThePretendAmerican Sat 04-Mar-17 07:50:12

I'm the same. Big clumsy feet. I have two style of shoe depending on the weather - boots or ballerina pumps but the pumps have to be soft or they'll cut my feet to bits.

I never wear heels.

luciole15 Sat 04-Mar-17 08:16:23

Fitflops did some workwear clogs in either black or white. Might be a bit more hardwearing than Crocs? They have a leather upper.

If your feet get dry/cracked wear with socks. And at bedtime moisturise and put on cotton socks.

Iamastonished Sat 04-Mar-17 08:35:42

Crumbs If your feet roll over it sounds like you need to see a podiatrist. You could end up with hip and knee problems later if this isn't addressed now.

Basicbrown Sat 04-Mar-17 08:43:01

Thanks all. But see...I wouldn;t mind a pretty shoe! All this talk of Birckenstocks and men's shoes. It's sad!

Oh come on, woman up. I'd like to look like Kylie..... but that isn't going to happen either.

If your feet are wide then you need wide shoes, whether they look as good or not. Why not get a couple of pricey pairs for very occasional wear - Gabor come up wide for example and are quite stout and then wear Birkenstocks etc the rest of the time?

Fairylea Sat 04-Mar-17 08:43:39

I'm not sure what size they go up to but I love Toms canvas shoes in the summer. Not the most glam of shoes but so comfortable and perfect for popping in and out of the garden. You can get them from Schuh online and loads of other places.

MatildaTheCat Sat 04-Mar-17 09:09:18

FitFlop do some quite glamorous styles which I can wear for the evening on holiday ( back problems so no heels for me).

I agree there is a massive gap in the market for pretty yet comfy shoes and sandals.

t3rr3gl35 Sat 04-Mar-17 09:17:03

If you're in Oz you should be able to get hold of Rossi's, which are absolutely the best. I wear mine summer and winter for nipping in and out of the house to see to the dog and hens, to deal with the horses, walking, mucking out - just everywhere in all weathers and with or without socks. They last me around 10 years and never, ever get sweaty. My last pair were only replaced because I hadn't looked after the leather properly in our very wet 2012 and it rotted.

mumonashoestring Sat 04-Mar-17 09:33:19

See if you can get hold of Earth Spirit sandals - they're lovely. Leather, soft/cushioned soles but tough and hard wearing, some of their styles are all out practical, some are prettier (wide wedge heels with thin but strong straps) and they're easy to walk in. I wreck shoes too but always buy Earth Spirit sandals for summer now.

Katiehanwell21 Tue 14-Mar-17 19:48:10

What about this site. They have pretty wide fit shoes and ship to Australia.

www.sargassoshoes.com/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now