Talk

Advanced search

This is too much?

(2 Posts)
FleeBee Wed 01-Mar-17 23:15:26

DM was widowed last year after 40+ years with my amazing dad.
She isn't coping well, things are improving - BUT - I'm worried as she's drinking a bottle of wine (sometimes more or less) every night.
She's 62 & is also a smoker. I don't know how to tackle the drinking. She's very defensive about the alcohol, says she will stop, she's not dependent, needs a drink to relax & sleep. Refuses point blank to give up the fags as they bring her comfort & pleasure. I'm not a smoker so it's all grim to me!

I know it can't be healthy constant wine & cigarettes but don't know where to go from here. I live 2 hours away, I've no siblings, DM no siblings either. Scared & apprehensive for her.

PuddleJumper01 Thu 02-Mar-17 00:05:16

what is it you're worried about? My DM is widowed too, and was only a couple of years older than your mum when it happened. But it was 5 years ago now.

I get that she's drinking too much, but what's the worst that can happen in that scenario? And how did you envisage her coping with her loss? Especially as you're not easily around to step in and be there for her. Does she have anyone locally to support her?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now