Talk

Advanced search

To ask you what you would class as a lovely thank you present?

(30 Posts)
Butttons Wed 01-Mar-17 21:13:50

We've been staying at a friend's house rent-free (while they are on holiday - lucky things!) for the last 2 weeks while building work is completed on our own house. I would really like to get them something special to say thanks but my brain is totally blank. DH suggested some flowers but I'd like to try and get something less "off the shelf" iykwim. I thought to maybe restock their fridge and freezer with M&S or Cook meals but is that a bit bland?

Extra context: we are 4 (DH, me and 2xDC); they are 3 (him, her and 1x DC). We've known them about 4 years. Eldest DC's are in same nursery room.

haveacupoftea Wed 01-Mar-17 21:15:05

A massive box of Hotel Chocolat and bottle of Champagne would do the trick for me grin

LoupGarou Wed 01-Mar-17 21:16:12

If you know what they like to eat I think restocking their fridge and freezer would be a really lovely thoughtful gift. You could also get some nice bubble bath for the bathroom and some fresh flowers in a vase. I would be really touched if friends did that for me, what a lovely friend you are smile

SaucyJack Wed 01-Mar-17 21:17:50

You could do a welcome home shop?

Bread, milk, croissants, cheese, eggs, bacon, fruit, salad, dinner, Prosecco in the fridge.

Buy it from somewhere nicer than the Spar obv., and set it out naicely- and that be fine, Shirley?

SaucyJack Wed 01-Mar-17 21:19:24

Oh, and more importantly than a present is leaving the place spotless- but I assume you know that?

I have dreams in which I've been away, and I've come home and someone has tidied up.

bluesbaby Wed 01-Mar-17 21:19:33

You're going to get answers of wine and chocolate because we don't know them. If you know they're massively into something, then go for something related to their interests.

Otherwise I'd say just invite them round for a slap up meal, and make it a special dinner party to say thank you.

Nospringflower Wed 01-Mar-17 21:22:08

I think all the suggestions above are good and was just going to add the suggestion of a meal voucher. I love these as they force us to go out but you know your friends and that they are likely to like.

ThermoScan Wed 01-Mar-17 21:25:47

Homemade hamper with wine,biscuits,coffee etc .Personal but not off the shelf as you choose contents

TalkingofMichaelAngel0 Wed 01-Mar-17 21:26:41

Gold. Rubies. Diamonds. A kitten.

Justreadingtheforum Wed 01-Mar-17 21:27:10

Vouchers to a nice local restaurant so they can enjoy a meal out and maybe cinema vouchers too.

Butttons Wed 01-Mar-17 21:30:14

Wow thanks for the suggestions!

My favourite is a kitten with a diamond collar, gold basket and ruby-encrusted litter tray grin

Vouchers with a night's free babysitting thrown in could be fab for them! And yes, will be getting the place cleaned and ready for them when they get back

honeyroar Wed 01-Mar-17 21:30:19

I'm with SaucyJack, I'd do the welcome home shop and add fresh flowers.

ShesAStar Wed 01-Mar-17 21:32:21

I think restocking the fridge with M&S is fab, especially if there's a bottle of bubbly too!

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 01-Mar-17 22:39:12

It was fab when we got home from long haul hols and friends parents who had house sat left us a cold cooked chicken, new potatoes, salad and veggies, bacon, eggs,cheese, bread and milk as it meant we could crash and not have to go out for food. Definitely this

BigcatLittlecat Wed 01-Mar-17 22:46:12

The obvious answer is a kitten! Who would not be delighted to come home from their holidays and find a fluffy bundle of loveliness?
Or you could stock up their fridge!

EyeSaidTheFly Wed 01-Mar-17 22:56:26

Fortnum and Mason hamper. Make sure you put their titles as Hrh/bishop/ambassador etc. Gorgeous present and they can keep the basket

FoundNeverland Wed 01-Mar-17 22:57:57

What's your budget?

icy121 Wed 01-Mar-17 22:59:06

I reckon get cleaners in to do a deep clean including steaming carpets and fridge etc? I'd bloody love that.

wobblywonderwoman Wed 01-Mar-17 23:01:43

That was very kind of them.

Champagne would be a real treat. Vouchers for a local theatre or nice restaurant

5foot5 Wed 01-Mar-17 23:14:38

I reckon get cleaners in to do a deep clean including steaming carpets and fridge etc? I'd bloody love that.

The trouble with that is they might be offended and see it as some sort of implied criticism of their housekeeping.

I think just really good tidy and clean, change sheets, hamper you have put together yourself, champagne and a thank you card

FindingNormal Thu 02-Mar-17 08:23:26

Ooh i would hate to come back to a fridge stocked with ready meals!!! I'd think you bought them for you whilst you wee there and couldn't be bothered to take them back. Something in a hamper would be nice - leaving place spotless too obviously. Fresh flowers always good.

SittingAround1 Thu 02-Mar-17 08:27:45

Gift vouchers for a really nice shop/departmental store.
Bottle of good wine.

SloanyAnne Thu 02-Mar-17 08:28:36

www.godivachocolates.co.uk/godiva+iconique+hamper/90009.html?cgid=C340#cgid=C340&start=12
This would be a magnificent treat of a present but I love chocolate.
Otherwise, flowers, a spotless house and basics in the fridge would be lovely.

pinkish Thu 02-Mar-17 08:29:43

When we stayed at a friend's holiday home we left wine in the house with a thank you note and took them out to dinner.

If they are going to the house straight after you then I second allthebest

irregularegular Thu 02-Mar-17 08:30:54

More than happy with wine/chocs/flowers/small luxury foody gifts. Not sure about food in general as hard to get right. If you want to splash out more then vouchers for nice local restaurant/theatre/art gallery/garden centre - depending on interests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now