Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think MIL could have been a bit happier about baby news?

(187 Posts)
LondonMum79 Wed 01-Mar-17 20:30:38

Told MIL today that baby no.3 is on the way. She made a face like thunder, and said "Oh ***. Well, it's your own business." And then she completely changed the subject.
It has left me feeling really upset but DH thinks I should just suck it up.

StealthPolarBear Wed 01-Mar-17 20:31:28

Ugh how awful. Congratulations grin

AtiaoftheJulii Wed 01-Mar-17 20:33:06

Told MIL we were expecting #4 - "oh no, you're not?"

Some people are just miserable cowbags.

AtiaoftheJulii Wed 01-Mar-17 20:33:24

And congratulations!

Lf803 Wed 01-Mar-17 20:33:26

Pretty sure MIL are sent to make our life's hellish... well mine certainly was. Don't take any notice of her. smile

Mumzypopz Wed 01-Mar-17 20:33:55

I'd have asked her what she meant by that?

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Wed 01-Mar-17 20:34:06

My parents were similar about #2! Ignore, and congratulations!

buttfacedmiscreant Wed 01-Mar-17 20:35:42

DH is being an arse and expecting you to rugsweep rude behaviour.

MIL may have been caught off guard and said something rude but unless there is a big and genuine apology then I think I would be making myself and my kids scarce.

Congratulations!

YouJumpIJumpJack Wed 01-Mar-17 20:36:03

Congratulations flowers

My own DMs reaction was similar when I told her but now he's here she's over the moon.

I hope her attitude improves, but if it doesn't just think about how happy you are as it doesn't matter what others think.

Springsummer2017 Wed 01-Mar-17 20:36:10

My inlaws the same! It was deemed 'a disaster' because shock horror i got pregnant just before our wedding day. Baby 2 was then met with complete indifference and my fil still hasn't bothered to meet her at 8 months old!

EssentialHummus Wed 01-Mar-17 20:36:39

I told mine yesterday (their first GC!) and my mum's response was to ask whether I'd like money from them for a private birth confused - er, no. Some people can't do "Congratulations, that's lovely, when are you due?"

Springsummer2017 Wed 01-Mar-17 20:37:00

Congratulations btw!

SookiesSocks Wed 01-Mar-17 20:37:06

Not everyone is happy about babies its not automatic or the law.

However she could have managed a smile even if it was fake.

Congratulations OP as long has you are happy may no attention flowers

Springsummer2017 Wed 01-Mar-17 20:37:41

Essential take the money...! God anything to stay out an NHS postnatal ward!

Laiste Wed 01-Mar-17 20:37:42

My DMs responses:

DC1 - you'll cope.
DC2 - another one?
DC3 - <sigh> really?

All planned with first husband by the way - not a string of one night stands or anything!

silkybear Wed 01-Mar-17 20:38:19

My grandmothers response to the news of baby #2 was 'oh dear' 😆

SaucyJack Wed 01-Mar-17 20:39:21

My mum asked me if I'd left it too late to get an abortion when I told her about DD3 :-/

harderandharder2breathe Wed 01-Mar-17 20:41:48

Congratulations!

I get that not everyone is excited about babies but surely you can at least manage a smile and "congrats" for your own grandchild?

DramaAlpaca Wed 01-Mar-17 20:42:20

I got similar from my DF when I announced I was expecting DC3. He assumed the pregnancy was unplanned and when I corrected him got all huffy & wouldn't speak to me for a couple of weeks. Oh, he also told me I was stupid to have another because I couldn't manage the two I'd already got. Thanks dad.

Congratulations, OP. I'm very happy for you flowers

Soubriquet Wed 01-Mar-17 20:42:39

My nan when I announced number 2

Me: hey guess what. I'm pregnant!
Her: your not!
Me: yes! About 6 weeks
Her: well you're a bloody idiot
Me: you what?!
Her: well you are. You was so ill when you had Dd. Why are you having another one
Me: you know what? It's my body and if I want another baby I will!
Her: well yeah I suppose

She loves him now hmm

But before dh had the snip she kept saying no more babies alright. If I dared to say i was thinking about it, she would go mad

Funny thing is, she has 5 kids!

chitofftheshovel Wed 01-Mar-17 20:49:18

All of my close family wrote to me to suggest aborting my first child. Yes he wasn't planned. Yes I had been with his dad a very very short amount of time but I am pro choice and it was the right choice for me. I'll never forget it (but do forgive, kind of). It's horrid.

OhMrBadger Wed 01-Mar-17 20:51:15

How many kids does your MIL have, OP? I'd bet she's feeling ousted in her role as Supreme Matriarch!

TinselTwins Wed 01-Mar-17 20:52:18

My DM:

"hmm, well! I didn't expect THAT!" confused we were married with a toddler DD1 - hardly breaking the mould with a second baby there…
When she was born we rang her and we told her her name: "hmmm. okay". No "congrats" or "that's a lovely name" etc.

Now she swears blind that she was DELIGHTED for us hmm
Her loss, we remember, and we don't go to her with our news any more.

witsender Wed 01-Mar-17 20:53:03

My parents will do similar, I know it. But it will be more about us not coping, because my mum in particular likes to believe that I don't cope and am exhausted... Because she wants to be needed. Am dreading it tbh.

Yanbu btw, very rude. The only polite thing to say is congratulations, whatever they think.

brexitschmexit Wed 01-Mar-17 21:01:55

Told DB I was pregnant with DC2: "oh surprise surprise!"

Told DM I was pregnant with DC3: "oh no, not another summer baby!" (DC1 is summer born, to be fair she did say congratulations first, but it was swiftly followed by this....)

If only I had known the wonderful MN saying "did you mean to be so rude?" back then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now