Talk

Advanced search

To think missing a portion of a lesson is not an appropriate sanction?

(62 Posts)
MsGameandWatch Wed 01-Mar-17 18:49:39

Even if it's a favourite lesson, it's still a lesson, it's on the NC, it's part of their education. I don't think it should be used as a sanction punishment.

mumtomaxwell Wed 01-Mar-17 18:54:27

It depends on the circumstances... I'm a teacher and I exclude students from my lesson if they are disruptive and disturbing the learning of others in the class. I simply won't tolerate that in my classroom!
But as a general sanction for something else then I agree it's not really appropriate.

Trifleorbust Wed 01-Mar-17 18:55:25

I remove students from my lesson when they are stopping me from teaching and others from learning. It isn't a punishment.

What happened in this case?

MsGameandWatch Wed 01-Mar-17 18:56:37

It was an incident that happened elsewhere. Not disruptive, a minor disagreement between two class members where one refused to apologise as she didn't believe she was in the wrong. She was told she'd miss a portion of her favourite lesson later in the afternoon.

Euphemia Wed 01-Mar-17 18:56:50

Is it PE?

HighwayDragon1 Wed 01-Mar-17 18:57:03

Disruptive kids are removed from our lessons. Even low level disruption negatively impacts the kids around them!

Trifleorbust Wed 01-Mar-17 18:58:26

Miss it because it is her favourite, or miss it as part of an isolation/withdrawal, which just happened to be during that lesson?

MsGameandWatch Wed 01-Mar-17 18:58:48

No disruption in lessons. A playground disagreement earlier in the day.

Blueemeraldagain Wed 01-Mar-17 19:03:35

That would only happen at my school if statements were being taken or we thought there was a real risk of a serious incident (if the two were the class together). Otherwise it totally undermines any conversation about bunking lessons.

EllaHen Wed 01-Mar-17 19:04:42

Did they use the time to mediate a resolution between the pupils?

You are being deliberately vague.

MsGameandWatch Wed 01-Mar-17 19:05:56

No nothing like that. Two girls had a disagreement, tears but no violence, KS2. Teacher was approached. She told both to apologise, one wouldn't. That child was told she'd miss a portion of her lesson in the afternoon.

MsGameandWatch Wed 01-Mar-17 19:06:33

Of course I am being vague! It's recognisable. What I have said is exactly what happened.

MsGameandWatch Wed 01-Mar-17 19:07:41

No mediation. As the lesson started the child who wouldn't apologise was told to leave the room for the period of time specified earlier in the day.

Trifleorbust Wed 01-Mar-17 19:08:07

But not BECAUSE it was her favourite lesson? This is just a temporary exclusion from lessons for defiance. At secondary it will be an everyday occurrence (although hopefully not for your child!).

MsGameandWatch Wed 01-Mar-17 19:10:14

Yes BECAUSE it was her favourite lesson. Why didn't she exclude her from Maths or English then?

TheFallenMadonna Wed 01-Mar-17 19:12:32

I was going to ask whether it was something like Maths, or non-core, like PE or Art.

MsGameandWatch Wed 01-Mar-17 19:13:00

Non core.

Trifleorbust Wed 01-Mar-17 19:14:02

I don't know why. Perhaps that lesson was most convenient because it happened following the incident. Or because staff were available to supervise. How would I know?

Trifleorbust Wed 01-Mar-17 19:14:17

And who is 'she'?

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 01-Mar-17 19:15:23

Hopefully she has learned not to be defiant and that to be so has consequences - usually ones she won't like?

Have you addressed that issue at all?

cauliwobbles Wed 01-Mar-17 19:16:29

Cutting off her hands is an inappropriate punishment or punching her in the face. Missing a small part of a lesson isn't really that harsh is it.

I am so glad I'm not a teacher having to educate all these poor hard done by kids today.

fairweathercyclist Wed 01-Mar-17 19:16:31

It happens a lot in my son's school - it's a bit like an internal exclusion/isolation. They have to go and work in the pastoral section - even if the incident had nothing to do with class. I can understand it if say two kids have been having a fight at breaktime and they need them both to calm down away from each other - but if it's something else that isn't related to lessons, it seems a bit of a silly punishment to me.

If it's to do with disruption in class, I think they have to stand outside the class first (and will be picked up by a member of the senior management team doing a patrol) and an isolation only follows later or for repeated disruption.

MsGameandWatch Wed 01-Mar-17 19:17:09

trifle I recognise you from other threads with issues with teachers. You stand out because of your complete unwillingness to ever admit that a teacher may have got it wrong. That lack of critical thinking makes me not take anything you post on these kind of matters seriously so if you don't mind I won't answer any more of your posts.

EllaHen Wed 01-Mar-17 19:17:55

My point about the vagueness was - how the feckity feck are we meant to judge based on such limited information? So many variables unknown.

With what you have posted though - YABU.

TheFallenMadonna Wed 01-Mar-17 19:18:31

Hmm. I wouldn't be upset with part of an Art lesson (my DD's favourite) being missed. Unless it was year 10/11...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now