Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to suspect that our media is being manipulative

(9 Posts)
auntyhiro Wed 01-Mar-17 13:55:07

This is in regards to a recent story about the Singaporean woman who was deported.

Turns out she has not lived here since the 90s

mobile.twitter.com/thomasknox/status/836907693193351169

This seems to happen more and more often, I think there is a term for when you read a topic you are familiar with and know it to be false but consider the rest true

So, AIBU to think the BBC, Guardian et al are trying to manipulate politics with fake news!

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 01-Mar-17 13:57:59

YANBU, see it all the time. Also screaming headlines that don't accurately reflect the story.

WeirdAndPissedOff Wed 01-Mar-17 13:59:57

YANBU, but this is old news.
Pretty much every single story has an "angle" or "bias".
Most stories pick and choose facts to support one agenda or another, or at the very least to make the story seem news-worthy.

user1483981877 Wed 01-Mar-17 14:43:35

Er.... yes.

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 01-Mar-17 14:46:36

Grauniad being subtle about it.

user1483981877 Wed 01-Mar-17 15:01:18

Sorry I meant to write, er yes they are, so YANBU in my opinion. There is always bias. I find that massively helpful to remember whenever I read anything.

OpalFruitsMarathonsandSpira Wed 01-Mar-17 15:47:38

YANBU

Sugarcoma Wed 01-Mar-17 16:00:29

My favourite bit is the fact that everyone's always moaning about evil Tories and Brexit etc etc but the first time she was refused permission to enter the UK and sent back from a UK airport was in 2007... when Gordon Brown was PM.

You are absolutely not being U and the media can be incredibly manipulative even in what they choose to focus on or how they present info.

E.g. straight after Trump was elected LBC was reporting on a KKK meeting in some random town in the US. I would put money on the fact that the KKK regularly have meetings in said town and have done for years but it suited the media to spotlight it post-Trump.

Meowstro Wed 01-Mar-17 16:07:31

YANBU but beware of being anti-news - which is what some leaders like Trump want, to get away with doing things without the world's knowledge.

It's a quote from someone that I've forgotten exactly but something along the lines of: 'When you're reading the newspaper/watching the news, ask yourself what they're trying to hide.' It's important to remember that the news is a form of control over a society but we have control of what we choose to question and believe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now