Talk

Advanced search

To Ask Beavers To Complete A Badge At Home...

(15 Posts)
lakesstu Wed 01-Mar-17 12:20:41

... and not present the badge until they have finished it?

We are hoping to get through 3/4 of the Disability Awareness badge at Beavers this week. We will be learning to finger spell our names, looking at how our hall is accessible to people with physical disabilities and playing Goalball (a game adapted for blind and partially sighted people).

However, the Beavers also need to either find out about a non-visible disability (such as ASD or similar) OR find out about a Paralympian. They can present their findings in a poster or similar.

We only meet for an hour, so wont have time to do this last section in the meeting, and the following meetings are already packed with other activities. To be honest, it seems like an 'individual' requirement in any case.

AIBU to ask the Beavers to finish the last quarter of the badge at home ? It does need to be done so that the efforts of others are respected. However, we are not School, and I don't want it to be seen like 'homework'. At least not in the negative sense IYSWIM.

ThePants999 Wed 01-Mar-17 12:27:34

I don't know about Beavers specifically, but in the scouting movement generally it's totally normal to work towards badges outside meetings, is it not? It's not like they can qualify for a swimming badge in the meeting hall, unless you're particularly prone to flooding :-) I would personally assume that involving my child in scouting is a commitment a bit beyond just the weekly meetings.

mikeyssister Wed 01-Mar-17 12:29:04

It's a great idea as long as it's an optional badge. We do it all the time in cubs, there's never enough time to finish everything in the meetings,

countrygirl55 Wed 01-Mar-17 12:31:11

Long time ago but I remember doing Brownie badges at home and then presenting my work. Like learning a poem off by heart, baking things, sewing etc. When I taught dance I would expect the kids to practise at home.

rightsofwomen Wed 01-Mar-17 12:31:30

I'd do a worksheet in the form of a few questions e.g.
What is a non-visible disability?
Can you give an example and explain what it is?

OR
What is a paralympian?
Can you name one and what their sport is?

My kids bringing home the vague 'make a poster' fills me with utter despair.

Thank you for giving up your time to run Beavers.

Chocolatecake12 Wed 01-Mar-17 12:33:12

Not a problem. Give them a couple of weeks to complete it.
For the younger ones you could always do a printed page asking questions they need to answer.
Who's the paraolympian?
What sport do they compete in?
Have they got any medals?'
Why did you choose them?
Etc

harderandharder2breathe Wed 01-Mar-17 12:34:40

Yanbu we do it regularly for my Brownies. When they see their friends get the badge it pushes them to do the homework so they get it too

budgiegirl Wed 01-Mar-17 12:35:42

I'm a cub leader, and I often ask the cubs to do a bit of badge work at home - usually small things such as ironing a necker, or making a cup of tea. Some do it, some don't. I think it's quite important for the others to see those who make an effort getting extra badges, and not to just have it all organised for them.

However, I do try to make it just small things. I think maybe asking them to look up info and design a poster is a bit borderline as to reasonable or not. But I guess if they want the badge, they'll do it!

MrsPnut Wed 01-Mar-17 12:36:10

DD2 has regularly had things to finish off outside of beavers and Cubs. The only thing I would add is make sure that the children are told when their parents are present! It's amazing how they forget in the two minutes between the closing ceremony and getting out of the door. If the parents come in to collect then an announcement or a notice on the door telling them what the work is and when it needs to be returned by.

BouleBaker Wed 01-Mar-17 12:39:23

I'd also say to give them something to fill in, with small gaps so it's clear it's not a huge request. That will also remind them to tell their parents about it. Maybe put something at the top like "Well done on completing most of your badge. Once you've given me this sheet back we'll award the badge at the next meeting."

Iliketosmile Wed 01-Mar-17 12:43:41

Perfectly acceptable. My son is a Beaver and although they are little, I think it's good to do work outside the meeting. When I was a Brownie Guider we always expected them to do something extra.

4sausages Wed 01-Mar-17 12:44:28

I wouldn't have a problem with a little bit of research being done, though a poster may take a while. Couldn't they just make a few notes and read them out at Beavers? Or just leave it up to the parents/Beavers how it's presented. My two cubs each have to plan, prepare and cook a 2-course meal before next week which I think is pushing it a bit!
As a pp said, make sure parents actually know about it!

Walkerbean16 Wed 01-Mar-17 12:45:14

My sons cubs have just done the exact same thing, disability poster was completed at home.

Iliketosmile Wed 01-Mar-17 12:45:39

For a badge that is

lakesstu Wed 01-Mar-17 13:38:24

Many thanks everyone. Sending home a worksheet where they have to fill in the blanks seems like a great idea, rather than a poster. Done right, it supports them through the task, but at the same time gives them the ability to make their own choices.

I will certainly let parents know directly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now