Talk

Advanced search

To think these socks are absolutely fine for school???

(103 Posts)
owlah Wed 01-Mar-17 11:34:38

DS is in year 7 and needs grey socks for school. Boys have to wear trousers.

The bit of these that you can see are grey, only the toes and heel and very top are purple... The only reason it was spotted is because he hurt his foot on the stairs and took his shoe off when seeing school medical person, she ticked his uniform card for having incorrect uniform...

AIBU for thinking it's ridiculous?

barcelo Wed 01-Mar-17 11:40:27

YANBU. That is a ridiculous rule.

The part that shows when DS has shoes and trousers on is grey.

InTheDessert Wed 01-Mar-17 11:49:22

Bonkers. How else are you supposed to seperate the 3 kinds of black socks other than by me having pink trim, one child having "boy colour" trim, and one poor child having plain black?????

owlah Wed 01-Mar-17 11:51:09

I feel like I should phone... As his uniform card isn't clean, he won't be able to go on the trip if his school house wins confusedhmm

LindyHemming Wed 01-Mar-17 11:52:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 01-Mar-17 11:54:27

Ffs.its a sock.

Isn't some kid being bullied somewhere that actually needs addressing rather than wasting time ticking boxes over fucking socks...

mythbustinggov Wed 01-Mar-17 11:55:05

Does the uniform instruction say 'plain grey socks' or 'grey socks' - if the first, you probably won't have any success, if the second complain and tell them you need to be able to tell different socks apart.

But phone and complain, they are grey, it's not as if they are candystripe.

Noodoodle Wed 01-Mar-17 11:55:12

YANBU. Perfectly acceptable socks, we do the same thing! If they can't be seen IN uniform that's what counts. We had a similar fiasco with a head telling us dd was not allowed to wear short leggings under her skirt as leggings are not uniform even if they're not visible. DD continued to wear them. It's ridiculous. Are you going to complain? It's only a small thing at the end of the day but they're being stupid about it. I would complain.

Noodoodle Wed 01-Mar-17 11:56:30

Oh regarding the trip, yes definitely complain then. Definitely. You haven't bought new socks have you? Those are perfectly fine.

dementedpixie Wed 01-Mar-17 11:57:30

Ridiculous, you can't even see the purple bits when the shoes and trousers are on. So glad our school doesn't have stupid uniform policies. Ds has black days of the week socks so the sole has the day of the week and the rim, toes and heels have a different colour for each day too. Today's have orange as the contrasting colour

Patriciathestripper1 Wed 01-Mar-17 11:58:28

That's fucking ridiculous. You can hardly even see the purple. That's so stupid.
If he hurt his arse would they tick his card for having purple undies or vest?
As long as the part you may see is gray what's the problem?
I'd ask to see the head and go into school and sort it out.

danTDM Wed 01-Mar-17 12:01:12

That is utterly cray cray.

They are lovely socks as well smile

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 01-Mar-17 12:01:24

Unless it's a private school where all items of uniform have to be bought from a specific source, including socks, (and this is very clearly stated on the published uniform list) then YANBU at all.

DS2 has to wear black socks. He has some plain black socks but he also has some which are pretty much the same as yours - with coloured toes & heels. It's never been an issue and I would never expect it to be. Withholding a school trip because of a purple stripe that isn't even visible in normal circumstances is ludicrous. Do they monitor pants too?

Sirzy Wed 01-Mar-17 12:01:56

That's bonkers! I am normally a stickler for uniform rules but that's OTT

owlah Wed 01-Mar-17 12:03:38

Nope, only monitor bra colour.

It's a state school.

SuperManStoleMyPants Wed 01-Mar-17 12:03:41

Seems a bit fucked up that he could possibly miss out on a trip because of a bit of purple on a sock. It's not like he buys his own.

I would phone and tell them to stop being so bloody ridiculous.

LemonBreeland Wed 01-Mar-17 12:04:15

I would phone the school. It is unfair on your DS.

DeleteOrDecay Wed 01-Mar-17 12:04:44

That's ridiculous. Next thing you know schools will be dictating what colour underwear students are supposed to wear, if they don't already.

They are socks ffs.

Notso Wed 01-Mar-17 12:06:45

They monitor bra colour!? How?

owlah Wed 01-Mar-17 12:07:42

Notso, you can see through the school shirt if it isn't a plan light colour.

NapQueen Wed 01-Mar-17 12:09:36

Oh god are you in the North East? This could well be my old school.

MycatsaPirate Wed 01-Mar-17 12:10:16

Good grief! I thought I'd had it bad this week with an issue over DD's shoes but this wins by a mile.

MrsWhiteWash Wed 01-Mar-17 12:10:52

How else are you supposed to seperate the 3 kinds of black socks other than by me having pink trim, one child having "boy colour" trim, and one poor child having plain black?????

^^ This. I would complain - see if on reflection they reconsider.

ArcheryAnnie Wed 01-Mar-17 12:11:07

That's ridiculous and the school are being U.

We get men's black business socks from M&S for DS's school uniform, and they have a coloured toe, so you can pair them up after the wash and they all get equal wear. DS's school is RIDICULOUSLY strict on uniform codes, and yet his variously-coloured toes, which are hidden by his sodding shoes unless he's changing for PE, have caused him no trouble.

Colours on the toes of business-appropriate socks are a usual thing. Tell the school this, and insist the uniform mark is removed. He's hardly gone in in Spongebob novelty socks.

MusicToMyEars800 Wed 01-Mar-17 12:11:54

Yanbu, that is utterly ridiculous, I personally think those socks are fine, the purple bits won't get seen anyway!! whatever next? telling the kids they aren't allowed to wear coloured pants or knickers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now