Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not wear a white dress for my wedding?

(132 Posts)
user1486504659 Tue 28-Feb-17 20:23:35

I'm not really a dress person and I've been looking at coloured dresses/non wedding dresses for my wedding this summer, which is not going down well with family...mainly my mum surely I'm not BU?

ThePinkOcelot Tue 28-Feb-17 20:25:29

I don't you are. I wanted to wear a black one. Found one I absolutely loved but my friend wouldn't let my buy it!
I've been to a couple of weddings with coloured dresses.

AnnaleeP Tue 28-Feb-17 20:25:58

I wore a red dress for mine. White is really not compulsory. It's your wedding, wear what you want!

notMarlene Tue 28-Feb-17 20:26:03

YANBU. White is a pretty modern tradition anyway.

TalkingofMichaelAngel0 Tue 28-Feb-17 20:27:23

The only concern i would have is a guest wearing the same
Dress!

RandomMess Tue 28-Feb-17 20:27:53

I didn't wear white/cream - wore a colour that I look much better in instead!

White dresses are actually a very modern tradition.

isseywithcats Tue 28-Feb-17 20:30:05

a white wedding dress traditionally is to show the guests and family that the bride is a virgin so nowadays a bit outdated i couldnt wear a white dress with my fair skin i would look washed out so wear whatever colour you like YANBU

onalongsabbatical Tue 28-Feb-17 20:31:10

62 year old granny here - just to establish my credentials. Absolutely wear what you like - it's YOUR wedding. I don't get mothers who are fussed over such ridiculous things.
If I got married again I'd wear green. And red.
Not happening, though.

StripeyDeckchair Tue 28-Feb-17 20:31:28

Go for it - it's your day after all.

White is not that flattering for many people and is a relatively new concept so choose an outfit you will look great and feel great in.

A friend got married in grey & pink - a skirt & top - she looked lovely.

HailMarys Tue 28-Feb-17 20:33:09

There are no rules, OP. I got married in jeans. One of my friends got married in a vintage silk nightdress, and another one got married on her lunchbreak wearing her shop uniform.

SagelyNodding Tue 28-Feb-17 20:33:29

Mine was dusty pale pink and came from a high street shop! Everybody loved it and I might possibly wear it again at some point...wear whatever makes you happy! I would have felt like a major hypocrite in white 😂

RaspberryOverloadsOnChilli Tue 28-Feb-17 20:33:46

A white wedding dress was originally to show off wealth, IE you could afford a dress you'd likely only wear once due to the trouble of earning it you had in those times.

Wear whatever colour you like. My mum wore an ice blue dress back in the 60s simply because she liked the colour.

RaspberryOverloadsOnChilli Tue 28-Feb-17 20:34:23

Earning?? That should read cleaning

MsJudgemental Tue 28-Feb-17 20:34:47

It's your wedding- wear what you like as long as you look and feel special. And not just trying to make a point, as the photos will last forever.

Mum2jenny Tue 28-Feb-17 20:36:08

I was married in pale grey silk as it was the only dress that I saw that I absolutely adored.

PollytheDolly Tue 28-Feb-17 20:36:47

This was mine grin it's actually darker than it looks in this pic.

Justmuddlingalong Tue 28-Feb-17 20:37:20

If you are old enough to get married, you are old enough to choose which colour dress to wear. And congratulations flowers.

isittheholidaysyet Tue 28-Feb-17 20:37:41

I had the full white dress. It was important to me. But that was my wedding and my relationship.

It's your and your fiancé's wedding. Do whatever the hell you like.
Even if you are having a church wedding most of the 'traditions' are completely optional and just 'what most people do'.

DuggeeHugs Tue 28-Feb-17 20:39:09

Your wedding, your dress choice! A quick canvas of four in our office team resulted in: one red, one dark green, one light green and one brown wedding dress.

I'm so glad I didn't choose white/cream/ivory as none of them suit me.

SoulLove Tue 28-Feb-17 20:39:25

Polly I LOVE your dress!

DuggeeHugs Tue 28-Feb-17 20:40:13

Polly your dress is beautiful!

TestingTestingWonTooFree Tue 28-Feb-17 20:40:18

Yanbu. Tell your mum she can wear a white dress and look bonkers

UpTownFuck Tue 28-Feb-17 20:40:34

I wore a pink 'non wedding dress' I'm pleased I did because when I look at the photos I'm still really happy with how I looked!

Wineoclockinwales Tue 28-Feb-17 20:41:51

I had a champagne gold dress. Perfect for me. Have whatever you like

Whatsername17 Tue 28-Feb-17 20:41:52

That dress is stunning polly. Wear what you want. More importantly, post pictures of your unusual dresses!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now