Advanced search

AIBU to think that employers should take better care of their employees?

(11 Posts)
justnowords Tue 28-Feb-17 20:04:26

Dp works in a semi skilled, very physical, labour demanding job. He is in a team of around 42ish. Over the years conditions have deteriorated at his work (not unlawfully but think less people to do same work, longer hours, different and more difficult specifications but no extra help etc). Anyway dp is now begining to get carpul tunnel in his wrist and has reptitive strain injury in his shoulder. Has been to gp but as work is unable to transfer him to other duties gp has said that it is only going to get worse and treatment is pointless as he will be doing said work (dp has had to take time off sick in order to rest his shoulder before going back to it and making it worse again). This is widespread throughout dp's team and there is a high sickness rate. Today, out of 43, 13 were off sick (and from what dp tells me its mostly as they are fucked from work as opposed to virus etc.). This is not unusual neither, dp says there are several people off sick every day. Plus take off 4 for holidays. To make matters worse there is no cover so dp and rest of crew have to work harder to make the quota. Can employers get away with this?(Also I have moved this over from employment for traffic).

ImNotWhoYouThinkIAmOhNo Tue 28-Feb-17 20:09:38

Whoever is responsible for Health & Safety should be carrying out, or reviewing, Risk Assessments on all the tasks, looking for ways to eliminate and avoid risks and ensuring everyone has adequate equipment and training to carry out their job safely.

Does the company have an HR department? What about access o Occupational Health or, Employee Counselling?

justnowords Tue 28-Feb-17 20:17:01

No occupational health or employee counselling. HR not concerned with employee health, more for administrative duties. There is a union rep but he is also employed by the company so dp says that he tends to go with whatever company dictates. I find it so infuriating that dp and his co workers are physically sacrificing their health to keep a job.

LegoCaltrops Tue 28-Feb-17 20:21:30

Has he contacted ACAS?

Pissedoffinsomniac Tue 28-Feb-17 20:26:17

Can your DP contact the union's regional office and ask for some additional representation when he takes the matter to HR as the current rep is not impartial? I'm in a non unionised workforce so joined one for my own protection, they will send someone to support me as required. Hopefully they can do the same for your DP.

justnowords Tue 28-Feb-17 20:27:21

no, he doesnt want to rock the boat as he needs to keep his job. Plus i dont think they are doing anything illegal per se.

Pissedoffinsomniac Tue 28-Feb-17 20:28:15

Oh and insist on an occupational health assessment, his employer should contract this out if no facility in the workplace.

Pissedoffinsomniac Tue 28-Feb-17 20:30:34

They have a duty of care to their employees and sound like they are failing in that, insist on that occ. health assessment. Yes it's unpleasant having to rock the boat but how long before someone seriously injures themselves because they are not really fit to work but need the money, and the correct policies and procedures aren't in place to manage the health and productivity of the work force?

parklives Tue 28-Feb-17 21:37:12

In answer to your question,,,,, yes employers should bloody look after their employees at work!

It does sound like they don't give two fucks about their employees..... I don't want to be doom and gloom, it would be great it things could be addressed but if that was my dp or anyone I cared about I would be strongly encouraging them to get a different job somewhere else before their health was permanently damaged.

Could your dp change place of work?

Ele13 Tue 28-Feb-17 21:45:18

All employers need an appropriate method of occ health assessment - if the work is injuring your dh, they are failng in their duties as an employer and this is not permitted.

Employers rely on people not wanting to "rock the boat" to get away with this crap - they aren't allowed to do it and people need to take a stand.

You can often present it in a "I was just wondering when you'll refer me for an occupational health assessment as my GP has noted I have an injury sustained at work, so I think I'll need an assessment to stop it happening again" and then if they say they won't be, you start very politely pointing out their legal duties with an air of confusion etc.

Bitofacow Tue 28-Feb-17 21:46:11

Contacting the union's regional official is not rocking the boat. Union reps are volunteers and will not be paid and may not be given time to complete union duties.
Go on the union's website, find the name of the regional official, it is why you pay your subs. The union have probably encountered thus situation before and will have the relevant advice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: