Talk

Advanced search

to be fed up with volunteering

(15 Posts)
lucydogz Tue 28-Feb-17 19:49:48

For the second time I've helped at our local museum with groups of visiting children. I like doing it, and the (paid) organiser is very efficient (which often isn't the case with voluntary work). But I think the organiser should send an email to say thank you, it wouldn't take her a minute and, if someone is giving you their time for free, you should show some appreciation. AIBU? This isn't a full-blown annoyance, just a niggle that, if they want people to help, they should be more polite.

gleam Tue 28-Feb-17 19:55:27

If you like doing it, isn't that the reward?

lucydogz Tue 28-Feb-17 19:57:31

yes, I know it sounds petty, but I also think it's rude not to thank someone, especially if you're going to be calling on them to help again. It only takes a minute to send an email after all.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 28-Feb-17 19:58:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

User543210 Tue 28-Feb-17 19:58:23

Does she thank you on the day for coming?

lucydogz Tue 28-Feb-17 19:58:58

Where did I say letter. And when does saying thank you become fawning over?

upwardsandonwards33 Tue 28-Feb-17 19:59:27

Yes does she think you in person verbally?

Parisbanana Tue 28-Feb-17 19:59:32

A thank you goes a long way. I volunteer at a large museum, and am always thanked at the end of my session by whichever member of paid staff I am working with, then get an email from the volunteer coordinator later on to say thanks.
It isn't a reward having someone say thank you for giving their time, it is just common courtesy.
It would bug me too lucydogz

lucydogz Tue 28-Feb-17 20:00:25

she didn't say thank you afterwards, just said goodbye.

neighbourhoodwitch Tue 28-Feb-17 20:00:44

Totally & absolutely agree with you! You should so get a thank you!

lucydogz Tue 28-Feb-17 20:01:05

thank you paris I thought I was going mad

TinselTwins Tue 28-Feb-17 20:05:01

YABVU

Volunteering isn't as altruistic as some make out. I used to regularly volunteer in a similar set up (I also helped with children doing tours) and most volunteers had selfish reasons, that's not negating the good they do, it's just a fact.

Some were wanting to apply for childcare or teaching or other related courses and wanted the experience
Some (me included) were "doing something" during a CV gap/gap in employment
For some, it was their social life etc
I bet you get something out of it already too?

The volunteer coordinators did a lot of hard work (and babysitting, for some of the harder work volunteers). I don't see why they should add to their workload by emailing a thank you after every tour hmm

Pebbles1989 Tue 28-Feb-17 20:20:56

This reminds me of when I volunteered to help a disabled lady when I was at uni. She got more and more demanding and was eventually texting most mornings to try and get me to come over (I was only supposed to visit once a week!). In the end, I lied and told her I had dropped out of uni. It was only slightly awkward the one time I bumped into her in the supermarket and told her I was visiting friends grin

isseywithcats Tue 28-Feb-17 20:23:11

i volunteer at a cat rescue centre and in their shop two days a week and always get a verbal thank you for my work but if they sent an email to every volunteer who had worked at both establishments sevemn days a week they wouldnt get any admin done at all as there are probaly 50 volunteers over that week, so you are unreasonable to expect an email but the paid staff should have had more manners and said thank you in person as she/he was saying goodbye,

Lilaclily Tue 28-Feb-17 20:24:55

Where I work we wouldn't email after every volunteer worked but we hold a party for all the volunteers at Xmas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now