Talk

Advanced search

To feel uneasy and not know why

(5 Posts)
Mehfruittea Tue 28-Feb-17 19:16:17

Twice now in two different chemists I have been waiting for my prescription and they have been dispensing methodone.

There is no private room, just a separate counter. They are handed a small dosing cup to take it from, then leave.

Why does it make me feel so uncomfortable, slightly shocked and searching for pearls to clutch?

I have no other ideas for when and how to dispense. So I know IABU, but why do I feel this way?? I thought I was more tolerant.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 28-Feb-17 19:19:54

Because you've been trained to distrust and feel different from people with addictions.

I work in related fields and was at a prison yesterday. Great group, very engaged and fun. But when I spoke to people at DD's school about it, people were weird and shocked about it.

Just remember people are all people and we have far more in common than we realise.

AgentProvocateur Tue 28-Feb-17 19:19:56

No idea why it makes you feel uneasy. I can't remember the last time I was at a pharmacy and there wasn't someone drinking their methadone. It makes me feel sad for the addicts, but not uneasy.

MaidOfStars Tue 28-Feb-17 19:23:33

I've never noticed this anywhere. I don't look too hard at people hanging around pharmacy counters though - their business, none of mine.

I think I'd feel inevitable pity (maybe more sympathy?). A thanks it wasn't me. A silent congratulations that they are taking methadone instead of heroin (which must be better?)

Whatsername17 Tue 28-Feb-17 19:26:15

I feel uneasy when I see anyone struggling with addiction. It's like a deep-seated worry that they are going to die. For me, it stems from watching my uncle's decent into alcohol addiction. He was so sad and loathed himself but couldn't beat it. He wanted a pill to take to make it all better. When he was drunk he was sad and rambly. It hurt to watch. He died young. I was just a kid and was unable to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now