Talk

Advanced search

To be pissed off with work

(14 Posts)
Wateroffaduck Tue 28-Feb-17 18:58:00

Not really an aibu, but I need perspective. Name changer also. I work for a large firm but work in the legal department doing debt recovery. I get sworn at and threatened on a daily basis. Water off a ducks back, comes with the territory etc. Today I took a call and after asking the man to send proof of payment he went nuclear.

Full on screaming down the phone at me, calling me a stupid fucking slag, he wanted the address of the office to come over and kick my fucking head in, couldn't really get a word in due to the screaming and calling me every word under the sun. I asked if he would speak to his mother like that, more screaming, I thought he had hung so I hung up.

He rang back, my colleague answers and he was put through to a senior manager, he then said I had threatened his mother and again stated that he was coming over to cave my head in, manager told him that all calls are recorded and we would report him to the police. He repeated the threat.

All this doesn't bother me except just after his threat again my manager gave him my surname. I live in the small town where the office is based, I am on the electoral register etc and I have an unusual surname.

Dp is livid as we have small children at home and manager didn't need to provide my surname.

This man lives about 30 miles away and whilst I am pretty sure it will come to nothing I am so angry about it.

The man told my manager he wants an apology from me - for what I am not sure as I never swore or raised my voice whilst he threatened me and called me all the cunts/slags/whores under the sun. Him and work can kiss my ass if they think I will apologise.

I don't know where to go with this as I think work have breached data protection and possibly put me in danger.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 28-Feb-17 19:01:00

Your manager is a total arsehole and I would be finding out policy about this.

However, having worked in a call centre and been threatened with death and maiming, let me reassure you, I am still here. None of the idiots who were going to come down and beat me up ever did.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Tue 28-Feb-17 19:01:13

I'm no expert but I think I might make a written complaint against your manager and also inform the police. Sounds awful flowers

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Tue 28-Feb-17 19:03:28

Also I recommend you remove your name from the optional published part of the electoral register next time it comes up (can't remember what that bit is called)

Softkitty2 Tue 28-Feb-17 19:08:19

Did your manager say why he gave out your surname? If not you should ask him why. Tell him straight never to do it again.

Wateroffaduck Tue 28-Feb-17 19:14:07

I am used to being sworn at but when asked to repeat the threat and told calls are recorded and we will report to police normally it makes them back track or denying making the threat. But he did it again.

I didn't get chance to ask my manager as he rushed off to a meeting. I think manager feels that he has been doing this job for 20 years and nothing has ever happened to him but with it being only 30 miles away it has unnerved me.

I am as locked down as I can be, not on the optional part of the electoral register only on Facebook etc.

I used to do similar work- debt collection- and we were required to start every call with "you're speaking to forename, forename surname". Which was fun when they got twattish

Wateroffaduck Tue 28-Feb-17 19:20:43

That's bad Statistically, it is down to us if we give out our surname, which I rarely do.

Hassled Tue 28-Feb-17 19:24:41

What is the general protocol re giving names? Do you answer the phone with "Good morning, CrapCompany Debt Recovery" or do you say something like "This is Sally - can I help you?". Do surnames ever get given out to customers or does it just not come up?

I do think you should pursue this - your boss has potentially put you in a vulnerable position. I'm sure it is all bluster from the customer, but you can't assume that.

Hassled Tue 28-Feb-17 19:24:58

x post

Wateroffaduck Tue 28-Feb-17 19:42:46

Hassled we just say "good morning you're through to duck how can I help" I only give my surname once I have spoken to them a couple of times and established that they are not psychos.

Hassled Tue 28-Feb-17 20:52:53

Which is absolutely fair enough - it should be your prerogative in that sort of a job. You must escalate this - I quite see why you're hacked off. I bet this guy is just talk but your employers have a duty of care towards you, and they have left you vulnerable.

My old workplace brought in some really expensive consultancy company to work on call handling skills; they developed a whole approach we were meant to follow and this was one of their huge things. Drove us nuts!

TalkingofMichaelAngel0 Tue 28-Feb-17 21:20:13

Contact HR.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now