Talk

Advanced search

Driver caused me to emergency stop and just drove off!

(320 Posts)
MamaMoose1 Tue 28-Feb-17 13:31:50

Hi,
I've just returned from going out with my 20 month old daughter in the car. Whilst driving along a road, a learner driver pulled out in front of me, causing me to emergency stop, the driver just carried on and swiftly drove away. Am I being unreasonable to be shocked that the driving instructor in charge didn't get out to see if we were ok, or even awknowledge what had happened. We are ok and I have his reg no.
Thanks!

Socksey Tue 28-Feb-17 13:34:21

How fast were you driving for the conditions?
Had you seen the 'learner car' before it jumped out?
Did it jump out at a junction?
Did you see any of these things as you drove and consider they might be a hazard and incorporate these into your driving plan?

Herdingcows Tue 28-Feb-17 13:35:41

Why would he get out to see of you were OK? An emergency stop doesn't usually cause injury?

TheEdgeofSeventeen Tue 28-Feb-17 13:35:49

Reg number for what? It was a learner .... she/he probably didn't mean to and if you did manage to stop why would they think you weren't okay? They don't know you have a small child in the car and i've never ( as an adult) been hurt by an E Stop. A roll down of the window and a sorry might've been nice but you're being a bit precious tbh. Id understand if it were another passed driver who you thought shouldn't be on the road but thats what a learner is .. not yet roadworthy.

AQuietMind Tue 28-Feb-17 13:36:55

It was an emergency stop not a 10 car pile up confused

ShotsFired Tue 28-Feb-17 13:37:06

What relevance is your 20 m o daughter being in the car?

Are you planning to use her as a wtness for the prosecution?

gamerchick Tue 28-Feb-17 13:37:22

How fast were you going? My instructor wouldn't let me pull out if there's a chance it was too early.

They have cameras all over their cars usually if you want it investigated.

TheNaze73 Tue 28-Feb-17 13:37:43

I think YABU. If someone had done that to me & we'd not hit each other, I wouldn't expect them to get out the car. In fact, some may see that as an act of aggression

NotStoppedAllDay Tue 28-Feb-17 13:39:20

How did you get the reg?

AQuietMind Tue 28-Feb-17 13:40:36

NotStoppedAllDay apt username grin

IamFriedSpam Tue 28-Feb-17 13:40:37

I'm surprised the instructor didn't use the dual controls to stop them or was it just a learner out with a parent/friend? Were you perhaps going too fast? Either way they should have probably waved an apology (that's what my instructor did when I made a mistake that affected someone else) but I think stopping in the middle of the road would just cause more hassle to be honest.

KoalaDownUnder Tue 28-Feb-17 13:42:10

YABU. I can't see what the point would be.

harderandharder2breathe Tue 28-Feb-17 13:42:57

Yabu

It was an emergency stop not a crash

MrsSthe3rd Tue 28-Feb-17 13:43:15

You'll be involved in lots of emergency stops in your driving career. If people stopped at each one, like you're suggesting should of happened, then there'd be much more chaos on the roads.

RayofFuckingSunshine Tue 28-Feb-17 13:47:53

I have never stopped and chatted with another party when I have done or caused an emergency stop. It's a complete non event. Are you a highly anxious person OP?

MamaMoose1 Tue 28-Feb-17 13:50:56

Wow, are you saying I'm in the wrong, that a person pulled out infront of me? I was driving about 28mph on a 30 road, there was a slight bend, as I was coming around the person who was parked at the side of the road, signalled and literally pulled straight out, clearly didn't check blind spot, or mirrors. No it didn't result in a collision, but it's still illegal to carry on, if the person carries out an emergency stop. I would never just carry on, I'd be very apologetic and make sure the person was ok. I got the reg, as I had a pen and paper in the car.

Hoppinggreen Tue 28-Feb-17 13:53:02

Not saying you were in the wrong but nothing actually happened so no need to get so worked up about a non event.
Let it goooooooooo!!

tinglyfing Tue 28-Feb-17 13:53:57

Illegal to carry on after an emergency stop?
This is news to me.

Snap8TheCat Tue 28-Feb-17 13:54:04

Is this the first time you have carried out an emergency stop? You sound inexperienced.

LadyPW Tue 28-Feb-17 13:54:46

No it didn't result in a collision, but it's still illegal to carry on, if the person carries out an emergency stop.
Is it really illegal? It's not a hit and run...
I'd apologise (with a hand signal (not a rude one) or whatever depending on whether they were behind me or to the side etc.) but I wouldn't stop & get out to check unless they'd hit something.

malxkb Tue 28-Feb-17 13:55:01

"but it's still illegal to carry on, if the person carries out an emergency stop"
That is not correct.

BarbaraofSeville Tue 28-Feb-17 13:55:08

I don't think it's illegal to not stop if there was no collision.

MaidOfStars Tue 28-Feb-17 13:55:44

but it's still illegal to carry on, if the person carries out an emergency stop
Say what? I don't think this is true, but happy to learn if it is.

What if it's an owl in the road (the most emergency of all emergency stops I've ever had to perform)?

Basicbrown Tue 28-Feb-17 13:55:49

No it didn't result in a collision, but it's still illegal to carry on, if the person carries out an emergency stop

Eh..? What on earth is an 'emergency stop' anyway..do you mean that you had to brake hard? You didn't hit him (which he should be grateful for you being such an aware driver as he had just pulled out on you) so there was no accident.

Yukbuck Tue 28-Feb-17 13:56:32

Yabu!! It didn't cause a crash. It's not always safe to get out the car..I'm sure the instructor looked back and could see all was OK. It's not as if you crashed into the car is it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now