Talk

Advanced search

To think this is just not in the spirit of fair parking?

(93 Posts)
Inthesleeplessnightgarden Tue 28-Feb-17 13:08:01

Another parking one - sorry...
I live on a narrow road with residents parking. I have a residents permit and usually manage to get a parking space on the road, though usually not outside my house. This is fine, though frustrating on the occasions I have to park far away and have heavy bags.
But.... there has been a red car parked in the space right outside my house since Christmas. It has a permit so is legal but, by not moving, means the usual movement as cars come and go can't happen so it's preventing the maximum number of cars parking in the marked bay (they are not individual bays, just one long marked one that if everyone parked considerately could fit 7 cars). At least I thought it had been there since Christmas..... last night I spotted that the red car had moved, and there was a battered blue car in the space. I then later heard much banging of car doors and talking outside the house. I nosed through my curtains to see the red car back in the space, the red car's driver locking the car and getting into the blue car's passenger seat and the blue car driving round to the parking space at the rear of the house opposite me.
DH says I have parking rage unnecessarily. I think they have just committed the equivalent of putting a towel out to save a sunlounger before everyone else is up. It's just not fair play.
For completeness, the houses opposite us each have a parking space behind them. We don't, and can only park on the road. We also only have one car, not a spare one to hog a space with.
AIBU to think that saving a parking space by parking a banger there is not really on?

SloanyAnne Tue 28-Feb-17 13:08:55

Can we have a diagram please? It's a bit of a MN tradition smile

SloanyAnne Tue 28-Feb-17 13:09:58

You get extra points for detail, artistry and labelling

Note3 Tue 28-Feb-17 13:11:04

That sort of thing would wind me right up. I would be inclined to put a note on their car politely asking them to move up so the full amount of cars could get into the bay.

Other ppl will think we're too uptight and need to let it go but having been in similar situations, when you live it day in and day out it really grates.

Enko Tue 28-Feb-17 13:12:23

Tradition SloaneyAnne?? I am sure it is in the terms and conditions grin

Op it doesnt sund like you ABU but we need diagram to be suregrin

JustSpeakSense Tue 28-Feb-17 13:13:06

YANBU about parking!

However YABU to not provide obligatory diagram grin

WeAreEternal Tue 28-Feb-17 13:14:20

I would let a friendly neighbor know and see if they were up for blocking the sneaky sod in.

IamFriedSpam Tue 28-Feb-17 13:15:24

YANBU sounds like a massively twattish thing to do, I can't believe they even go to the bother either especially if they have one guaranteed space for offloading heavy bags.

JustSpeakSense Tue 28-Feb-17 13:17:30

I would make it my life's mission to get that parking space....surely at some point both red & blue car need to be out?

Once parked I would never leave, I would use public transport and walk everywhere grinjust to hang on to that space!

Joinourclub Tue 28-Feb-17 13:18:34

Annoying, but I guess if they weren't doing the change over car thingy, they'd just leave the battered blue banger outside your house 24/7 and that would be worse.

BillyButtfuck Tue 28-Feb-17 13:19:09

Without a diagram YABU, but they sound like entitled twats, I hate selfish parking when one car makes it hard for everyone else to park considerately.

FuckingSausageFingers Tue 28-Feb-17 13:19:51

Not helpful op but I can't even bring myself to read this without a diagram. Sorry.

wanderings Tue 28-Feb-17 13:24:48

"I'd rather have a diagram if it doesn't put you out!"

Apfelbunny Tue 28-Feb-17 13:25:36

I literally only came here for the diagram.

I feel like I've gone to cadbury land only to find it's a paper factory (although interesting, it would still be a disappointment)

Inthesleeplessnightgarden Tue 28-Feb-17 13:25:48

My sincere apologies for the lack of diagram! I am not technical enough to do one on my phone so have got the felt tips out. I hope it suffices.

overmydeadbody Tue 28-Feb-17 13:26:39

Joinourclub why would that be worse?

Inthesleeplessnightgarden Tue 28-Feb-17 13:27:19

Should also note that diagram is not to scale. And that the offending vehicle(s) is directly outside my house, not a bit to the right as shown.

overmydeadbody Tue 28-Feb-17 13:28:09

Awesome diagram by the way

MadMags Tue 28-Feb-17 13:31:28

Your diagram is a thing of beauty!

I think they're being knobs and I agree with PP; I would do all I could to secure that spot then never leave.

GiraffesAndButterflies Tue 28-Feb-17 13:32:43

grin at wanderings

You did a key on the diagram! Niiiiiice. <appreciative nod>
But I don't really have much to add other than yeah, they're being a bit arsey. But sadly not so arsey that you'd be justified in doing anything.

JustSpeakSense Tue 28-Feb-17 13:34:23

⭐️ for your diagram OP!

FuckingSausageFingers Tue 28-Feb-17 13:40:21

Excellent diagram. Extra points for different colour felt tips and the table.

So there are currently 5 cars taking up space that could fit 7 if they were parked more considerately? Don't get why they need to swap cars? Why can't they keep the banger in the road space and park the red car at the back of theirs? Not that it would help your situation.

Inthesleeplessnightgarden Tue 28-Feb-17 13:48:55

Thank you for diagram compliments!
I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks it's inconsiderate. I know it's not illegal but it is so annoying! I just want to push their car one way or the other so another whole car could fit in.
I don't know why they bother. The red car is much nicer than the blue one so maybe they only take it out on special occasions. But I don't see why they don't just block it in behind their house if they have to do this trick every time. I don't know the owners of the car but am keeping my eyes open ready to strike if the space comes available. And am trying to park 'upstream' of their car as it's a one way street so no quick parking moves can be made without going round the block if I park beyond it.

Olympiathequeen Tue 28-Feb-17 13:53:24

Beautiful clear diagram 👍.

That very annoying and you are right to be annoyed. That's just taking the piss.

Apfelbunny Tue 28-Feb-17 13:54:16

Love the use of felt pens..
Is there any way you can "accidentally" block them in, or park slightly too close so when you're getting anything out the boot it might rest on the other car...Like maybe a nice oily takeaway or leaky pint of milk or a shrub

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now