Talk

Advanced search

is a photo book a rubbish present for a man

(53 Posts)
loulouxx Tue 28-Feb-17 12:06:55

husband is 30 this year,was thinking of making him a photobook,putting in baby photos,embarrasing school photos,then photos of us and children,what do you think?my friend thinks its something a woman would like to receive but not a man

Nocabbageinmyeye Tue 28-Feb-17 12:10:46

Well its a bit of a generalisation but my dh wouldn't appreciate it, especially not if it was his only present

loulouxx Tue 28-Feb-17 12:12:22

Wouldn't be his only present,I just wanted to do something he could keep as its his 30th,dont think he would appreciate anything with 30 on

Dillite2 Tue 28-Feb-17 12:21:52

It depends on the man. I have a friend who is a massive Harry Potter fan. When the Warner Brothers studios opened he came to the UK specifically to visit the studios which we went to together. I then used the photos that I had taken there to make a photobook for his Christmas present. He absolutely loved it and said that it was the best present ever.

JonesyAndTheSalad Tue 28-Feb-17 12:24:06

My DH wouldn;t appreciate it and neither would I! I've always felt that it's an odd thing to give...as though someone's not capable of looking at photos they choose to look at in an order they want to!

NavyandWhite Tue 28-Feb-17 12:24:37

I think it's a nice idea to go with his other main present(s) smile

NavyandWhite Tue 28-Feb-17 12:25:57

DH is fairly sentimental and I think this would show him that I'd given some thought into his big birthday!

SaucyJack Tue 28-Feb-17 12:26:06

I don't think the affective crappiness of it is gender specific.

Does he like photos?

EndoplasmicReticulum Tue 28-Feb-17 12:27:44

I did one for my dad for his 70th. Found a box of old slides in the roof, worked out how to get photos from them and made a photobook - lots of pictures of him and my mum as young people, and my brother and I as babies. He loved it.

I don't think you can generalise that if someone is male they won't want a photobook. Surely some men would like one, some women would, and others wouldn't be so bothered?

namechange20050 Tue 28-Feb-17 12:30:08

I did this for my husbands last birthday. I used just photos of him & our son. The photos are from my phone so a lot of them he hadn't seen before. He loved it. Made him cry!

Mumski45 Tue 28-Feb-17 12:32:08

My DH would love it. In fact I have done this before and as his only present. You know your husband best and if you think he would like it then go for it.

loulouxx Tue 28-Feb-17 12:32:18

He hasn't got any photos from his childhood,so I would have to get them off his mum,so its not like he can just flick through the photos whenever he wants to,I just thought its something he can keep forever,what else do you get a man for his 30th?I have already got him tickets for something he will enjoy,not sure what else to get?

NavyandWhite Tue 28-Feb-17 12:34:15

How much more did you want to spend OP? A watch might be nice or a weekend away for you both?

loulouxx Tue 28-Feb-17 12:40:21

He doesn't wear watches or any jewellery,having a weekend away when we go to the show I have already got tickets for,just wanted to get a couple of actual presents to unwrap

caffeinequick Tue 28-Feb-17 12:47:55

My husband is very manly but the night before our wedding I gave him a photo book with pictures of our time together so far and he cried! I was totally gobsmacked smile x

SaucyJack Tue 28-Feb-17 12:48:40

What does he actually like?

DP was 40 a few weeks ago. I got him an orange hi-viz jacket for work- cos that's what he wanted. THe muppet loves it.

It doesn't have to be something gimmicky because it's a birthday with a 0 in.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Tue 28-Feb-17 12:48:45

I'm a woman and I would hate it! Pictures of you and the children are okay. I always find it odd when people think that baby photos and 'embarrassing school photos' are such a hilarious thing to put up - I find it actually humiliating. Do people actually look through their own baby photos?

JonesyAndTheSalad Tue 28-Feb-17 12:48:52

I got mine a Swiss Army knife! He loved it.

littlepooch Tue 28-Feb-17 12:50:29

My DH wouldn't appreciate it. It would be more of a present for myself if I'm honest! But you know your DH and whether he would like it.

NavyandWhite Tue 28-Feb-17 12:50:59

Camera
Shaver
Clothes
Aftershave
Books

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Tue 28-Feb-17 12:51:07

Mil did something similar for bil and he loved it. I planned to do one for dh but he beat me to it!
I know you haven't asked, but if you're after a physical gift that he can use for years and is less "sentimental" you might like to consider some high end tools if he offs into diy at all. I bought dh some for a significant birthday a number of years ago and he uses them constantly and truly loves them - they turned out to be a far better gift than the sentimental bits I got for him at the same time!

loulouxx Tue 28-Feb-17 12:53:59

Hes such a pain as hes not actually into anything,he takes up hobbies and then does them for a week and then gives up,He hasn't really got any stuff,if we were to move he would have about 1 box with his things in (not including clothes) He likes football and supports a team,but we have been for a tour of the stadium already and he wasn't that fussed by that,i normally just give him money but I want to make more of an effort for his 30th

SpreadYourHappiness Tue 28-Feb-17 12:56:58

My DH wouldn't like that. In fact, someone made him one a few years ago and he just found it boring.

I, on the other hand, would love one, but I'm very sentimental and emotional.

loulouxx Tue 28-Feb-17 12:58:42

Hes crap at diy,so cant get tools,now I'm thinking he might not like the photobook,have got him all them things before navy and white,thanks though

mychildrenarebarmy Tue 28-Feb-17 12:58:46

I did one for my husband of our time together. I deliberately didn't fill it though and left the page after the final photo I put in saying "To be continued..." Every few years I sneak it away, add more photos to update it, wrap it and give it to him for Christmas/birthday/anniversary. He has received it as a gift 3 times over the course of 18 years and loves it. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now