Talk

Advanced search

Party on Mothering Sunday

(73 Posts)
Sparklycurtainpole Tue 28-Feb-17 10:56:25

Close to us is a kids' play centre which throws great parties. You have to book almost a year in advance to get a slot though as it's so popular.
A family member who is notoriously disorganised told me the other week that she had yet to organise her DS birthday party and had no idea what to do.
Anyway, yesterday we got an invite to the party and it's on Mothering Sunday 11-1 at the play centre.
I asked family member if she had realised the date and she said she'd phoned on the off chance and the centre told her they had space that day because it was mothers' day.
AIBU to think this is a bit 'off'?
Not only will the mums of the attending kids not get family time but the timing of the party is likely to prevent quite a lot of people celebrating with or visiting their own mums.
We feel as if we have to go as it's a very close family member and my kids would be really sad not to join the birthday boy to celebrate his birthday (and DP and I obviously) . However my DP works away (often over weekends) and I was really looking forward to spending a special day with just him and our kids together and then visiting our own respective mums.
Any opinions? I know it means some mums might love their OH to take the kids instead and give them a break but what about lone parents or like me, parents whose partners are usually away?
Am i being a bit of a birthday grump or is this totally fine?
Oh, and DS birthday is not til almost five weeks after the party date!

heateallthebuns Tue 28-Feb-17 10:57:46

It wouldn't bother me, it's only a couple of hours out of the day.

lougle Tue 28-Feb-17 10:58:34

It's 2 hours. You can still have lunch together, or dinner, and you can still visit your respective mums.

Dragonglass Tue 28-Feb-17 10:59:07

It wouldn't bother me. Mother's day isn't really a big deal.

PurpleDaisies Tue 28-Feb-17 10:59:22

I can't get excited about this. It's two hours.

Sunbeam18 Tue 28-Feb-17 10:59:23

Seriously? I wouldn't consider this as issue

JaxingJump Tue 28-Feb-17 10:59:50

It's Mothering Sunday, not your wedding. If you have lunch plans either move them to after 1 or miss the party. I think it's totally fine. I'd still be glad of having somewhere for the kids to go play on that day.

elQuintoConyo Tue 28-Feb-17 11:00:22

It is two hours.

I would go.

I find mothers day like valentines day - celebrate me everyday, not just the day society tells me too.

Pick me flowers from the woods. Scribble me a card and cover it and the dog in glitter glue. Share your Smarties with me.

I'm not one for breakfast in bed and being treated like a princess for the day.

LemonBreeland Tue 28-Feb-17 11:00:35

It wouldn't bother me massively, but the timing could have been a bit better. She may end up with a lot of people saying no if they already have plans.

Chocolatecake12 Tue 28-Feb-17 11:00:53

It's 2 hours in the middle of the day. You can have a nice breakfast in the morning or plan a nice lunch or dinner.
Do you actually have to spend the whole day celebrating being a mother? Could you just not spend the day enjoying being a mother and do those things that mothers do - like put your child first.
I seriously do not see the issue. YABU

justnowords Tue 28-Feb-17 11:01:04

wouldnt bother me neither, would just make plans around the party. After all its only 2 hours.

I8toys Tue 28-Feb-17 11:01:11

Its a Hallmark celebration - doesn't really mean anything.

harderandharder2breathe Tue 28-Feb-17 11:01:19

Either go or don't go. It's your choice. Other people will make their choice which may be different to yours or the same. The party may be less well attended than it normally would but better than nothing

NutBiscuit Tue 28-Feb-17 11:02:02

My DS's party is booked for Mothers Day, 11:15 to 12:45. I did have concerns about booking it on Mothers Day but figured people would have the whole afternoon free still. Of the 50 (gulp) children invited only 7 have declined so far. 10 left to respond, so it seems as though the date has not been as off-putting to others as I thought it might have been.

I think you're being A little U but only because I personally don't make a huge deal about Mothers Day. I know to lots of people it IS a big deal, and so their responses may be different

iamapixiebutnotaniceone Tue 28-Feb-17 11:02:03

It wouldn't bother me, but then we do things a bit backwards for Mother's Day. I usually treat my children rather than them treating me. Their dad gets me something and I get a break from cooking/cleaning but I make a big fuss of them šŸ’—

namechange20050 Tue 28-Feb-17 11:02:37

Wouldn't bother me at all. It's just another day.

GraceGrape Tue 28-Feb-17 11:02:57

I get a card on Mother's Day then we carry on as usual. I would imagine it's the same for a lot of people. If it's a particularly special day within your family then don't go to the party, but I don't think it's unreasonable to hold it then

Bantanddec Tue 28-Feb-17 11:09:11

It's just another bullshit day brought to you by consumerism

SomethingBorrowed Tue 28-Feb-17 11:13:01

This would annoy me, and I wouldn't go, I would say I already have plans as it is Mother's day...

Sparklycurtainpole Tue 28-Feb-17 11:14:03

Thanks.
Thought I might be tending towards the side of 'birthday grump'.
Think it's more to do with the fact that a nice family day seeing both grannies and spending time together is now going to be a bit of a rush.
Mother's Day isn't really a massive deal for me but it is for my mum. We can change the plans we had but I think I'm more cross that out notoriously disorganised family member has meant that (once again) we've all had to alter arrangements as she's been a bit ditzy.
Thanks for the clarity folks.
šŸ‘

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 28-Feb-17 11:27:17

Fabulous - DH can take the kids off to a party while Mum gets 2 hours to herself!

If you are that keen on family meals etc you'll still be able to have a nice evening meal and its late enough for them to have made breakfast in bed!

Teasgonecoldagain Tue 28-Feb-17 11:28:23

I am glad of the replies on here saying it is not a big deal as I just booked a party on the same day at a soft play...I wondered if this was about me but the timings are different. grin
I thought that maybe mums might like to sit down and have a coffee for a couple of hours whilst the kids get fed (hot meal) and entertained!

I don't think I am notoriously disorganised though...just very busy and although I did mean to get something booked earlier, this year seems to have whizzed by so far and cannot believe it is March tomorrow!

IamFriedSpam Tue 28-Feb-17 11:30:47

It wouldn't even occur to me to be honest. I think for most people mother's day is just a card and maybe a nice lunch/dinner together. It's not like it's christmas day. Obviously if you've already got plans that day you could always politely decline birthday invite surely.

Vegansnake Tue 28-Feb-17 11:31:26

Drop and run.have 2 hours to yrself on Mother's Day.perfect

TheOnlyLivingBoyinNewCork Tue 28-Feb-17 11:32:20

I would barely even notice, tbh. And I wouldn't consider it when booking either.
If it doesn't suit your plans, don't go. Other than that it has nothing at all to do with you who booked what, where, when or why.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now