Talk

Advanced search

urgent froggy question

(12 Posts)
Nousernameforme Tue 28-Feb-17 09:32:35

sorry cut and paste here for traffic
On the way home from nursery i found what i think is some frogspawn on the pavement.
I'm thinking i ought to go and collect it but what do i put it in?
I have a bucket and spade will have to rinse them out . I'm fairly sure it wasnt there 20 mins ago when i walked up that way
but how would it have got there what if its not and i look like a moron it was all clearish wobbly jelly with black dots not defined egg blobs if that makes sense does that mean its dead. What if its someones leftover tapioca or something I'm flapping a bit torn between possible animal welfare and being an idiot. If i get them do i put water in the bucket?

Allfednonedead Tue 28-Feb-17 09:36:09

Water in a bucket. Educational opportunity for little ones.
You're no longer supposed to collect frogspawn, but if it's on the pavement, I think an exception could be made!

BreatheDeep Tue 28-Feb-17 09:37:58

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. I know some might think that's bad but it's just eggs, not even tadpoles. I'd imagine it's unlikely to survive anyway. And frogs lay shit loads of spawn because a lot dies either at spawn or tadpole stage. Don't stress about it.

Nousernameforme Tue 28-Feb-17 09:47:52

Well i've gone and got it eek wtf do i do with it now I don't know if it's viable
I'll stick a picture up

Nousernameforme Tue 28-Feb-17 09:49:57

Here it is

elQuintoConyo Tue 28-Feb-17 09:51:34

Take it to a pond.

Welease all the little Wodericks grin

(Sorry, Life of Brian reference).

WickedLazy Tue 28-Feb-17 09:55:54

Could you buy one of these cheap round plastic fish bowls (think they're about £8), dip it in pond to fill, and put it in there?

WickedLazy Tue 28-Feb-17 09:56:24

those*

Nousernameforme Tue 28-Feb-17 10:00:15

We have a viv left over from when we had stick insects a couple of years ago its not massive but should do im going to pop it in there is regular tap water ok do you think?

stealtheatingtunnocks Tue 28-Feb-17 10:05:26

Not tap water, the chlorine will not do it any good.

If you can leave the tap water to stand for a day the chlorine will evaporate. Chuck in some pond water too, you'll need the food chain of wee bits of algae and tiny creatures for feeding the tadpoles.

They can eat fish flakes and lettuce. Tadpoles are incredibly dirty, so, you'll need to do water changes (with de-chlorinated water). And, once they grow legs they need live food or they'll starve - best to put them in a pond at that stage. They also need to be able to get out the water then, so you'll need to reduce the amount of water and provide a couple of sticks and a brick or similar so they can sit out.

If you have a fish shop nearby you can buy elodea plants which will add oxygen. If you're really lucky your pond will have some.

Enjoy!

Nousernameforme Tue 28-Feb-17 10:20:07

I've given them to the school they have a pond and they will have a better chance of survival in a proper pond plus i imagine if they do survive they will be happier free range froggies and all that

WombattingFree Tue 28-Feb-17 10:46:19

Well done OP. This is exactly the sort of batshit crazy I'd be getting up to. Free range froggies!! Bravo!👏🏼

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now