Talk

Advanced search

AUBU to think insurance company were in the wrong?

(16 Posts)
Supermagicsmile Tue 28-Feb-17 07:03:31

Rung up to book travel insurance. Phone call took over an hour. They emailed all the documents to me and there were some errors that they made (one of the family members I insured has multiple health issues.) One error was that they listed this person as taking medication for a condition but she wasn't listed as having the condition (even though I had stated she had and that's why she was on the medication). They also listed someone else in the group as having some hospital admissions when he has had none.
I rung them and they corrected all the errors (but I had to pay for it! All the errors were theirs and I don't think I should have had to.) I paid at the time as they said if I didn't I would not be insured but is there anyway to contest the payment? (I know this is a first world problem so feel free to ignore this post if you want to!) blush

wettunwindee Tue 28-Feb-17 07:08:21

I doubt you can really contest the payment. They told you you didn't have to continue but you wanted their cover so agreed to pay.

You could email customer services but it sounds like you'd be relying on their good nature.

It sounds like a strange set-up. Why couldn't you have said 'no' and then called again for a quote with the correct information?

nutbrownhare15 Tue 28-Feb-17 07:12:49

I'd email their customer services department to complain. And keep complaining /threaten to take it higher etc (insurance ombudsman?) companies often waive stuff like this asa 'goodwill' gesture to make you go away. Not sure if thus normally works with insurance but worth a shot.

What exactly do you want to contest? The extra payment made for the medical issues they missed out on the first go? If you want them covered you'll have to pay, regardless of the error. Presumably it was a genuine mistake by the person taking the details so your initoquotecwont have included them - I don't think there's anything to contest really.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Tue 28-Feb-17 07:16:22

Yes, I'd complain. If you had waited a week to raise if, then I can understand their position. If it was near instantaneous correction of their errors, then complain.

Quote won't- no idea what happened there!

reallybadidea Tue 28-Feb-17 07:26:59

We're the charges administrative fees to cover the 'cost ' of making the changes or additional premiums for the conditions that weren't listed?

If the first then that is really crap of them and they should definitely be waiving the fees as it is their error not yours. If the second then it's a bit more difficult to argue as you probably do need to pay the premiums charged to provide the level of cover. However you could argue that if they quoted you incorrectly then it prevented you from making an accurate comparison with other insurance companies and so should potentially allow you to cancel without a fee so you can take out cheaper coverage elsewhere.

Definitely complain.

Birdsgottaf1y Tue 28-Feb-17 07:27:19

Did you pay because the Premium had gone up, or for the change in documents?

If it's the documents then you shouldn't have had to pay.

Any quote can be immediately Emailed over, for you to check, so it sounds as though you've been pressured.

If your not happy with the new price, then you have 14 days to cancel and can get immediate cover from elsewhere.

Creampastry Tue 28-Feb-17 07:52:20

Do they say they record phone calls? If so get a copy of the conversation.

ThePants999 Tue 28-Feb-17 09:23:39

I once had an insurer make a mistake like this. When I called to correct them, they retrieved and listened to the recording of the original call, found that I gave the correct information and it was their mistake, and waived the extra premium.

amammabear Tue 28-Feb-17 09:26:31

I've worked in insurance- if it's their error, you shouldn't pay. Make an official complaint and specifically ask them to listen to the original call- managers have to do that all the time.

unfortunateevents Tue 28-Feb-17 09:27:14

What were the errors which were corrected - administrative or errors relating to the conditions? If the latter, then you do need to pay because presumably the premium has increased.

Supermagicsmile Tue 28-Feb-17 19:50:49

They said it was an admin charge because changes were being made!

aaahhhBump Tue 28-Feb-17 19:54:33

You should complain ask for an investigation. The calls are recorded so easy to confirm where the error was made.

ThePinkOcelot Tue 28-Feb-17 20:20:23

I would complain. It wasn't changes that were being made, it was corrections- for their mistakes!!

ScarletFever Tue 28-Feb-17 20:32:57

def make a complaint - it is their error and you shouldnt have to pay - ask them for a transcript/recording of the call

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now