Talk

Advanced search

DP working away and my mind begins to wander...

(30 Posts)
halfbuffy Tue 28-Feb-17 00:04:45

Not about him, he's asleep...

But I hate being left alone at night. My brain makes me think about what would happen if someone had been hiding in the en suite all evening, or if someone can scale our building up to the third floor and the noise I think is rain is actually someone tapping on the window blush

I know IABU but my overactive imagination is running wild!

WorraLiberty Tue 28-Feb-17 00:08:33

They'd be a pretty shit burglar to scale 3 floors and then tap on the window!

Or perhaps just extremely polite grin

IvorHughJarrs Tue 28-Feb-17 00:10:55

I'm the same OP, I am easily spooked when DP is away even though I know it is stupid

halfbuffy Tue 28-Feb-17 00:11:17

That is very true I hadn't thought about that!

Still...I'm going to spend the night with arms and legs inside the bed at all times not matter if I do get too hot....because there is no way I'm opening that window with the burglar with the great manners hovering outside!

glitterazi Tue 28-Feb-17 00:12:34

Aw no, give over. Instead, enjoy the peace! Whenever DH works nights, I just think how nice it is to be able to starfish in bed and have it all to myself.
Is anyone more likely to jump out of the ensuite just because there's not a man there to protect you?! confused
No.
Enjoy doing what you like instead. Eat crisps in bed and brush the crumbs to his side then enjoy the peace. smile

MiddleClassProblem Tue 28-Feb-17 00:14:06

Have you got a cricket bat or anything you could sleep next to? I used to do that when I lived alone but I'm also a. It scared of the dark and am fairly sure there's a ghost in the corner... or a jacket

MiddleClassProblem Tue 28-Feb-17 00:15:07

glitterazi what's gender got to do with it? It's just about being alone

halfbuffy Tue 28-Feb-17 00:16:29

The other side of the bed is currently being taken up by the dog, he seems to be offended by the window tapping as well because he's growled at it a couple of times! Not too sure how good he would be in an actual crisis though, a shaggy cockapoo due for a hair cut is not menacing at all!

Your advice is good though...just nabbed one of his pillows and now I'm in a world of luxury!

chatnanny Tue 28-Feb-17 00:17:23

Hope you didn't watch Crimewatch tonight! I've made that mistake when alone and jumped at every creak! Weird how having a snorting, snoring heavily sleeping person next to you makes you feel safer!

halfbuffy Tue 28-Feb-17 00:18:19

Glitterazi I appreciate that my post may have come across like I was being a damsel in distress without his protection but it was just the being alone side of things that I was referring to. I would have written the same post had it been about my old (female) housemate.

WorraLiberty Tue 28-Feb-17 00:21:11

My DH is on nights this week and I have to say it's bliss.

Mind you, I must admit it took a year or so for me to get used to it, especially when the kids were little.

They're strapping teenagers now so I don't feel alone, which is just as well considering I share the bed with my old blind, diabetic, deaf dog who thinks it's his god given right to starfish the fuck out of it, and leave me on the very edge hmm

MiddleClassProblem Tue 28-Feb-17 00:23:11

I'm scared of the ghost jacket and I have 2 labs and a snoring DH in the room. The fact that the dogs are not reacting though tells me that maybe it is just a jacket. Dogs always get these things, right?

halfbuffy Tue 28-Feb-17 00:24:55

Middle that is sound logic, horror movie etiquette is that the dogs know everything.

Unless the jacket ghost slipped them some steaks laced with sleeping tablets...shock

WorraLiberty Tue 28-Feb-17 00:25:26

Middle I don't want to burst your bubble, but any self respecting ghost knows they can buy a dog's silence with a slice of ham.

Just sayin'

Astro55 Tue 28-Feb-17 00:28:34

I always think 'what if I wake up in the morning and there's a dead body lying somewhere in the house!'

Doors and windows locked -

Just saying - goodnight sleep tight !

MiddleClassProblem Tue 28-Feb-17 00:31:10

Now that you mention it there is a meaty incense in the air...

MiddleClassProblem Tue 28-Feb-17 00:32:37

Astro55 wtf? I think you make me sound normal. Where did the body come from? Is it a mafia thing?

halfbuffy Tue 28-Feb-17 00:33:21

Astro nooooooo!!!!

Whyyyyyyy?!

The dog has obviously sensed my fear got fed up of me waking him up to read MN to him and went for a drink only to return with a half chewed raw hide that he's now dropped next to me before walking off, flopping down and going back to sleep.

halfbuffy Tue 28-Feb-17 00:34:38

Ha. Meaty incense. The latest scent from Yankee Candle.

Astro55 Tue 28-Feb-17 00:34:41

I have no idea! Not happened yet though - maybe a subconscious movie watching late at night!

The dog barks though ....

glitterazi Tue 28-Feb-17 00:34:55

I would have written the same post had it been about my old (female) housemate

I must just be wired different as I bloody love alone time just as much as I do being with actual people. smile

FritzDonovan Tue 28-Feb-17 00:35:02

grin Op, I was considering writing the very same thing this morning. Only differences being we're on the ground floor and I share my bed this week with a cat rather than a dog!
I should be enjoying the space and no snoring, instead I'm jumping at every creak!

glitterazi Tue 28-Feb-17 00:37:00

glitterazi what's gender got to do with it? It's just about being alone

OK, fair enough, point taken - I love being around family but I also don't mind being left completely alone for a bit either! In fact I quite enjoy it as it means I can do what I want. grin

MiddleClassProblem Tue 28-Feb-17 00:38:13

Just a question but where do ghosts get drugs? For the dogs I mean. Between getting the ham (picturing them opening the pack etc) as I'm all out or steal which I'm out of too and then going to acquire the sleeping stuff I just think it's a lot of work to just come and haunt little ole me. If I'm on tomorrow posting videos just don't watch them...

halfbuffy Tue 28-Feb-17 00:39:05

Oh Fritz i couldn't cope on the ground floor! And cats can be so nonchalant as well. Just remember that as long as you are in the duvet with no extremities hanging over the edge of the bed you are completely safe!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now