Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dishwasher Salt in Food?

(19 Posts)
AYankinSpanx Mon 27-Feb-17 23:01:03

Someone narrows eyes forgot to buy salt and I need some. No shops around that I can get to.

I only need a bit and I can't help eyeing up the bag of dishwasher salt. It's only salt, right (according to the bag)? Or is it? It's only going to feed a pair of strong, healthy adults, no kids or babies.

Under-seasoned food or a pinch of dishwasher salt? What do you think?

Moanyoldcow Mon 27-Feb-17 23:04:28

I googled it - it's s no!

Apparently it makes nice body scrub though grin

NannyR Mon 27-Feb-17 23:04:32

I'd go for under seasoned food. I've no idea what dishwasher salt actually is but I wouldn't risk eating it.

AYankinSpanx Mon 27-Feb-17 23:06:21

I did a quick google and couldn't find a convincing pov, but didn't spend long on it I admit grin

Scrowy Mon 27-Feb-17 23:07:42

Have you not got a stock cube or something similar you could use instead?

DoveBlue Mon 27-Feb-17 23:07:59

I wouldn't. Isn't it larger grains for one also likely to not be packaged in sterile environment etc even if there is nothing else in it. As it is not intended as good labelling guidelines will not be as strict meaning something else could be in it! I would chose un-salted food!

DoveBlue Mon 27-Feb-17 23:08:38

*food labelling guideline

AYankinSpanx Mon 27-Feb-17 23:11:47

Scrowy Good idea, but it's a fish based dish, and only got meat-type stocks. Also not suitable for soy/fish sauce.

tissuesosoft Mon 27-Feb-17 23:16:45

Do you have any soy sauce? Or garlic? Chopped garlic with spring onion works well has an alternative, mixed with a little bit of boiled water

Scrowy Mon 27-Feb-17 23:25:41

Bacon or cheese? Both pretty salty and might work in a fish dish?

TheOnlyLivingBoyinNewCork Mon 27-Feb-17 23:26:20

I don't know about you, but I always have little packets of salt in my hand bag and car I don't go through the drive thru the odd time I'm childfree in the car, no sirree. Any of those?

PyongyangKipperbang Mon 27-Feb-17 23:33:21

Its salt, not oxygen. You are not going to die if you go without just this once.

ThreeFish Mon 27-Feb-17 23:36:22

Erm, no.
Can't say why exactly, but would you put salt that's meant to melt ice on your food? Same idea to me.

AdoraBell Mon 27-Feb-17 23:36:43

Nope.

Anything else, spices,herbs, black pepper, white pepper, mustard, stock cube, celery salt, Worcestershire sauce.

Practically any savoury condiment, but not cleaning products.

scottishdiem Mon 27-Feb-17 23:37:57

No - there is an anti-caking agent in it as well. Probably not designed to go with fish.

AYankinSpanx Mon 27-Feb-17 23:39:16

Thanks for the suggestions! Well, I've chucked in some chor-eeeth-o grin, a bit of lemon juice and some garlic. It'll do!

AYankinSpanx Mon 27-Feb-17 23:40:34

Adora Celery salt! rummages

Haffiana Mon 27-Feb-17 23:47:23

There is anti-caking agent in table salt, not ever in dishwasher salt. Anti-caking agent would damage the water softener column in the dishwasher.

OP, people eat salts that are pink and grey they have so many impurities in them. They are very fashionable. I had some posh grey salt from France and it was full of grit and sand. It used to leave a scum on my rice...

Dishwasher salt is usually very pure, more so than food grade salt. Personally I don't like pure salt to eat as it is too 'strong' (Maldon fan here!). But you can use it if you wish.

AYankinSpanx Mon 27-Feb-17 23:54:26

Haffiana thanks - that's interesting. I also use Maldon, for the same reason.

I think it's fixed with a touch of celery salt and the addition of some frozen prawns that had a little salt added to the glaze!

Going to eat it now, so thanks all grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now