Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Guides

(9 Posts)
IAmNew1234 Mon 27-Feb-17 22:10:37

To expect to know what my DD is doing at Guides? I dropped her off and when I collected her I found out that they had walked to a local park (a bit of a dodgy one iyswim) for a litter pick. Now don't get me wrong, I think it is great that they are doing their bit for the community but aren't they supposed to ask our permission for these kinds of things?!?! It is quite well known that the area they went to is sometimes used for drugs, etc. so not exactly what I would think is the safest place for 11 year olds to be picking up litter without the grabber things. I want to talk to the Guide Leader but I don't know if I'm being unreasonable and would just be 'that mum'. I think that the fact all the leaders volunteer their time is absolutely fantastic but I'm just not happy with not knowing about these kinds of activities.

nmg85 Mon 27-Feb-17 22:15:59

As a rainbow leader I would assume the rules are the same and you need permission to take the girls out of the meeting place. Have you signed any permission slips this term as sometimes I do one each term to cover all trips for convenience.

Imfinehowareyou Mon 27-Feb-17 22:16:21

I run a rainbow group, so younger, but we are allowed on local excursions as long as we begin and end at the meeting place. I do let my parents know but I don't have to.

harderandharder2breathe Mon 27-Feb-17 22:18:33

They only need specific permission if they're starting or ending at a different time or in a different place from normal.

Some units give out a termly plan but others don't, sometimes because Guides start thinking they can pick and choose the fun bits only (trips usually!)

Going to the park for a litter pick is a great idea. Were the girls told what was safe to pick up and what wasn't? (No broken glass, needles etc)? I would expect that they were or certainly should have been. If so then I think you're overreacting. If not then I would be concerned and suggest speaking to the leader.

Imfinehowareyou Mon 27-Feb-17 22:19:01

Ooh, cross post.nmg85 I have always been told that you don't need permission if you are at the meeting place ready for pick up. I always inform the parents and my DC as I feel I have covered my back but so long as you have the correct ratio of adults to girls, first aid kit etc then its okay.

nmg85 Mon 27-Feb-17 22:23:08

To be honest I have only been doing for 6 months and would rather cover myself with permissions etc as some parents are 'difficult'. But I would always let them know where we are going etc regardless as I would want to know where my child was.

WannabeMathematician Mon 27-Feb-17 22:23:26

I'm a guide leader and if the guides started and ended in the meeting place within the normal meeting hours the leaders don't need permission. There are rules on what they can and can't do in that time (no watersports I think, stuff like that) and they must be accompanied but a suitable number of adults but there is no requirement to get permission for the trip.

Ask the leaders if your uncomfortable but be warned they may take it as you volunteering to come along!

WannabeMathematician Mon 27-Feb-17 22:24:00

Xpost sorry!

Permanentlyexhausted Mon 27-Feb-17 22:27:32

Imfine and harder are right - specific permission wouldn't have been required by Girlguiding. However, I'm well aware that parents like to know what's going on, so I send out a programme and sometimes do consent forms even if they are not actually required. But mine are Brownies, so younger. Perhaps the girls were told at the last meeting and your DD forgot/missed it/wasn't listening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now