Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think sweating like this isn't normal?

(14 Posts)
changedmynn123 Mon 27-Feb-17 16:55:20

I'm so embarrassed. I am very often streaming with sweat, to the point it comes down my face like tears and makes my hair wet, or burns my eyes. It only seems to be my face, hairline, my neck, behind my ears. Under my breasts/down below quite bad too.

I use an anti perspirant twice daily as well as body spray. I tried using talc and cornflower , they don't make much difference. Bought a stick from boots that said it blocks pores to stop sweat and it just burnt/stung on application so gave up.

I try to keep myself cool by wearing light layers ; but even today walking to the shop in a cardi and vest I was sweating grossly down my neck. It's not that warm.. I've even worn my uniform slightly damp to work to help matters.

Shopping etc is almost out of the question as even just standing looking gets me going , it's horrible.

I carry wipes to work, spare pants, deodorants, I rub a roll on where I can, I try to work next to a fan where possible but I still end up horribly sticky and sweaty. It upsets me , I work in a care environment and can't cope with certain tasks like showering patients or standing in enclosed toilets . I have to keep sort of mopping my forehead or fanning myself. I can drink easily 3 litres in a shift to try and cool down.

I saw a duty doctor last week for unrelated issue and mentioned it as I was worried she would tell, she was a bit shocked by the extent and said the heating wasn't on , couldn't blame that. Said to make a routine appt with my usual GP which I've done.

What could be causing it and what can I do to help myself? Have googled and just seem to get sweaty hands and feet, which isn't me , my hands and feet and even underarms are bone dry!

Unicorn81 Mon 27-Feb-17 17:02:27

Hi, since my thyroid started playing up i have had a similar experience, although perhaps not as severe. It feels horrible and has brought on panic attacks for me as i feel everyone is looking at me.

I use triple dry roll on from boots, put talc on but that just helps a little (use dettol laundry on bras to stop them smelling) and i have a cool shower, full fan on me when drying my hair, dont get dressed until i am about to leave the house and also use a fan at work. I get it on my forehead, neck, hairline etc too. I have mentioned this several times to gps when discussing symptoms and thyroid and they just fob me off and dont take it seriously.

I hope you get some answers, it ends up ruling your life xx

QueenCarpetJewels Mon 27-Feb-17 17:07:20

You don't have to answer but are you on anti-depressants? Some people on anti-depressants can get a condition called Serotonin Syndrome which can be caused either by another medication reacting with the ADs or by a sort of 'overload' of serotonin in the system, that causes extreme sweating. The only way to stop it is to stop taking the ADs (there are older types that don't contain serotonin that can be taken instead). It's probably not this as it's quite rare, but as I have personal experience I thought I'd mention it.

Whatever it is you have my massive sympathies because I know how awful and embarrassing it is flowers

changedmynn123 Mon 27-Feb-17 17:07:32

I have never thought of thyroid problems, is that a blood test to check then? Have just had a look at nhs choices and I match most of the symptoms - some of which I've always been told are just 'me'..

I will ask GP when I see them, I think I might have had my thyroid checked quite a while ago (about 6 years ago) so will see if they can maybe test me again.

It's awful and it's persistent , it's been this way for 2 or 3 years but getting worse slowly over time.

kormachameleon Mon 27-Feb-17 17:16:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Acornantics Mon 27-Feb-17 17:26:14

I overheat really quickly and when I exercise, I look like I've been in a shower after about 10 minutes, I don't see anyone else looking like I do. I can quickly go from 'normal' to 'running with sweat' when walking and especially in the warmer weather, and I sweat a lot at night all year round, often having to change pyjamas and pillowcase in the night.

It never crossed my.mind it might be thyroid related...I might just go get checked out.

Flisstizzy Mon 27-Feb-17 17:26:17

Google hyperhydrosis - definitely see your GP this doesn't sound normal.

Ginkypig Mon 27-Feb-17 17:29:58

Have you heard of hyperhidrosis?
Il post the nhs link for you but if you google it there are quite a few sites and support groups.
www.nhs.uk/conditions/Hyperhidrosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Could you be pre/menopausal or have any othe symptoms that could point to it being part of a bigger issue?

My advice is see the gp.

It's totally shit isn't it? I have a circulation disorder and so I sweat too

SanitysSake Mon 27-Feb-17 17:35:26

I got this when I got sick overseas and had loads of infections. My immune system was shot. My whole family have thyroid issues so yes, I'd definitely get that checked. In the interim, I used this product - which after it stopped I gave to my friend who was going through the change. It really does work, but does have a tendency to push the sweating to other areas if the body naturally needs to cool down. However, the visibly noticeable sweating was what I wanted to control (face/neck/backs of legs), but it absolutely did that.

www.sweatstop.co.uk

Best of luck. It really isn't a nice thing x

changedmynn123 Mon 27-Feb-17 17:44:31

Other symptoms - acne since I was 12 (so 14 years) , excess facial hair (I shave my chin and top lip), numerous cysts down below (blocked glands apparently), I'm always exhausted but can't sleep at night, end up sleeping in the afternoon. I get palpitations a lot and have had a 24 tape that showed PVCs and PACs. Also have low blood pressure, feel dizzy on standing up. Get urine retention on and off and I'm always constipated as well.

I have an anxiety disorder and overweight (bmi 33), most of it has always been put down to them, was told being overweight can throw all your hormones out of sync and if I lose the weight everything should go back to 'normal'.

Most of that's been the same for a long time. It just never gets any better though.

Will have a look at the hyperhydrosis links flowers

I'm so relieved to hear it doesn't sound normal, I was starting to think it's just me and just because I'm fat - but I see bigger people than me all the time wearing coats and I can't even wear a jumper!

Unicorn81 Mon 27-Feb-17 17:47:23

Yeah can get bloods done to test thyroid, took a lot of persistence with gp before they gave me meds as i was borderline but had so many symptoms including increase in migraine attacks.

Have a read of this site, www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/index.html

NotaSnowflake Mon 27-Feb-17 17:55:13

I'm exactly the same as you OP. Still can't get doctors to take me seriously. I have been prescribed propantheline Bromide but it it doesn't always work.
My docs won't refer me for Botox as I also have it on my scalp. So I guess it's just a waiting game until some treatment is invented!

Oddly enough, I never perspires ONCE during pregnancy....though apparently my hormones are fine?? X

NotaSnowflake Mon 27-Feb-17 17:57:47

Sorry but it is SUCHHHHHHH a relief to see someone else say they 'can't even wear a jumper' I honestly thought I was the only one...! X

bilbodog Mon 27-Feb-17 19:07:00

Hi, im similar too. Have mentioned it to gp but like you isnt taken seriously. I think i am thru the menopause but hot flushes are different to the sweating. Even this winter when its been cold we have had the heating on as everyone except me is cold and i sit down with my fan on!

For me it is very much head, scalp and face - just washing up for 20 minutes can start it off - but once hot and sweating it can take 30-45 mins with the fan on to cool me down completely. If i do gardening in 20 degrees or more i look like ive just stepped out of the shower.
Ive been like this for over 15 years both pre menopause, during and now, after!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now