Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU "Little Englander?"

(7 Posts)
YERerseISootTHEwindy Mon 27-Feb-17 16:48:12

Does this phrase annoy anyone else?

It seems to imply that people who voted leave in the referendum were all English. Surely a scottish nationalist who voted leave would not like to be a "little Englander".

Do you think the term should be expanded to include all those people from the UK who voted leave?

"Little UKer" for example.

I feel it paints a picture that only English people voted leave, when this is not the case.

RachelRagged Mon 27-Feb-17 17:32:42

Yep

Quite honestly I am pretty fed up of the anti English sentiment , ,it always comes across as fucking sneery too .

I am with you OP

YERerseISootTHEwindy Mon 27-Feb-17 17:38:37

Cheers Rachelragged 🍷

It would never go unchallenged in the other direction.

Just thought it was worth a mention.

Sulusu Mon 27-Feb-17 17:46:45

Its mostly used in Scotland to deflect away from their own nationalism.

YERerseISootTHEwindy Mon 27-Feb-17 17:48:37

Do you think it is a way of "othering" english people sulusu?

Sulusu Mon 27-Feb-17 17:52:52

Yes Yerersel it is in my experience. Anything to make it about "them" and it being "their" fault same with all nationalists "civic"or otherwise.

Anyoo I'm a remain voter and think we should just get on with and try get along better with each other, less marginalising, less name calling its all so damn petty. Wishful thinking eh.

YERerseISootTHEwindy Mon 27-Feb-17 17:59:38

Yes sulusu I agree.

There is so much running each other down at the moment. I don't blame people for voting either way in brexit. I thought there were very valid reasons for both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now