Talk

Advanced search

to think Aldi isn't that brillinat?

(191 Posts)
ssd Mon 27-Feb-17 15:49:48

maybe I just haven't got into the hang of it yet, but I've been going for a while now, and whilst some of it is a lot cheaper than say asda, I just find some of their stuff not that great and I'm having to go to asda to buy it again

anyone else like that?

fallenempires Mon 27-Feb-17 15:51:22

What sort of things haven't you liked?

ChoudeBruxelles Mon 27-Feb-17 15:52:06

I think you get used to things that you like/don't like. I don't like most of their cereals so go to Sainsbury's to get them. On the whole it's good and cheaper

NotMeNoNo Mon 27-Feb-17 15:54:03

Does it matter?

TheLittlePaperbagPrincess Mon 27-Feb-17 15:54:54

We tried our local Aldi once. Didn't like it, food quality was fine but the checkout lady was very abrupt with everyone. I did think maybe this one's just got a bad manager or something, because lots of people do like Aldi. Local Lidl is nice though, find things that are nice/unusual/good quality and staff are happy and chatty.

alwaysthepessimist Mon 27-Feb-17 15:55:12

Yep me too - me and Aldi just don't get on at all I am afraid, I am not a food snob by any means but I cannot do a full weeks shop there and get pissed off having to go elsewhere to finish off the shop

WritingHome Mon 27-Feb-17 15:55:22

Nope because we find most things to be better than regular supermarkets. I shop between M&S and Aldi only now. I used to get things like marinated olives in M&S for dd as she loves them. At the weekend I grabbed a tub of the aldi version as we had unexpected guests. Afterwards dd said the olives were far nicer, where did i get them, keep getting those ones!

Same, I used to buy M&S aberdeen angus steak burgers but dh grabbed a pack of Specially select from Aldi and again they both thought they were nicer.

I am now at about 99% of my shopping there. We LOVE it.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Mon 27-Feb-17 15:56:31

#gotoAdliordie

#gotoLidlandlive

SuperManStoleMyPants Mon 27-Feb-17 15:56:40

I just wish they stocked breadcrumbs, pesto and yeast. Apart from that I am an aldi lover. The prices mean we can afford little luxuries we otherwise wouldn't be able to.

WritingHome Mon 27-Feb-17 15:58:24

Super ours stocks all of those things!
Fresh pesto in the chiller aisle
Breadcrumbs near the chicken, also pre-made stuffing which is excellent
and yeast in the baking goods - I just bought a pack recently

It's funny how the stock seems to vary so much from store to store

ImYourMama Mon 27-Feb-17 15:58:27

We're Aldi converts, I can do our entire shop there

WalrusGumboot Mon 27-Feb-17 15:59:19

I don't think anyone can get a whole week's shop there - that's not really the point of it is it?

WalrusGumboot Mon 27-Feb-17 16:00:15

Haha x post Mama! HOW?? I never can!

Trifleorbust Mon 27-Feb-17 16:01:38

I don't like it. I'm sure their stuff is fine but I rely on knowing the quality of certain branded items before I buy them (washing up liquid, yogurt, that sort of thing). Hate the jumble sale feel of the place too.

PinxTheTinxMinx Mon 27-Feb-17 16:02:00

I'm like WritingHome and shop between M&S sell buys and Aldi. Completely different shopping experience and I'm always trying to hurry along the buying process in M&S. It's saved us a fortune and means more holidays.

WritingHome Mon 27-Feb-17 16:03:09

These posts intrigue me!
walrus what can you not get??

When we first started shopping there, they had less of a range so I use to stock up on stuff from other places about once a month. But now...I def could get a full weeks shopping there no problem

specialsubject Mon 27-Feb-17 16:04:27

No overcrowded shelves with endless pointless non choices. No loyalty card or stupid posters jacking up prices. Quick checkout. Food that tastes and occasional unusual things.

Works for me. A supermarket need only be a shed where you collect things, no more.

WritingHome Mon 27-Feb-17 16:04:57

Pinx that is so funny as that is exactly what we spend the savings on too!

We will have 4 trips abroad this year (so far) and it is largely due to decreasing outgoings in other areas (3 of them are 4 day city breaks..but still...)

wobblywonderwoman Mon 27-Feb-17 16:05:27

I love aldi but every third or fourth weekly shop I go to tesco just to get different things / for a change.

But the money I save at aldi makes it worth going back and we find all of the food really good.

Aliveinwanderland Mon 27-Feb-17 16:05:55

I do our entire shop in Aldi. Granted we don't eat anything really exotic but I don't see what you couldn't get there?

KnittingOnEmpty Mon 27-Feb-17 16:06:40

Aldi fruit n veg is better than Sainsburys. My trouble with Aldi is they keep enticing me with their special buys and I always come back with a handy tool or implement that I didn't really need.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 27-Feb-17 16:06:57

In with you op

Struggled to do a proper shop there. Nothing bloody left no matter what time we went.

Food rotting on the shelves or on the floor where they'd removed it and dumped it amd alot of the stuff tasted like crap.

Veg went mouldy on the journey home.

Had the most revolting battered fish from there the other day.

I wouldn't go back there.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Mon 27-Feb-17 16:07:06

I don't think it's that great either. Which is a shame as I have one a 3 min walk away. I do pop there sometimes but only because it's easier for bits like bread/milk.

Their veg is in bags you can't see through properly so you can't tell the quality. I've bought potatoes and green beans from there that were manky but I couldn't tell.

My store never has own brand teabags and charge stupid money for the PG tips they do sell.

Vegetable oil and toothpaste is more expensive there than tesco.

Chattymummyhere Mon 27-Feb-17 16:07:15

Nope everytime we give it a chance we end up throwing it away and rebuying from else where or getting take away.

The fruit goes bad really quickly, tried making spag Bol with everything brought from there it went into the bin, the children refuse the crisps yet will eat other shops cheap own brands.

Total waste of money to me.

BaymaxismyHero Mon 27-Feb-17 16:07:58

I love aldi, the only bits I buy elsewhere are toiletries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now