We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pope quietly trims sex abuser's sentences

(21 Posts)
Terfinator Mon 27-Feb-17 14:16:58

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4259164/Pope-quietly-trims-sanctions-sex-abusers-seeking-mercy.html

I saw this on Reddit. I couldn't find a better UK source which was reporting this. There are several American sources reporting it, if you don't want to click on the Mail.

Anyway, the Pope has reduced the sentences of two child abusers by giving them a lifetime of prayer instead. I know that a big part of Catholicism is forgiveness, but surely some things are pretty much unforgivable? Child abuse being one of them!

I'm upset because I have many family members who look up to this man for guidance and morals.

LadyPW Mon 27-Feb-17 15:48:22

Don't be upset - they're actually being punished severely - they've got a lifetime of prayer hmm confused angry

IateallthePies654 Mon 27-Feb-17 15:49:43

Shouldn't they be praying anyway? Wtf?!!

Twistmeandturnme Mon 27-Feb-17 15:52:12

Tim Minchin Pope song
Do not click if you are likely to object to the views of an atheist in basest terms on this issue.

Bambambini Mon 27-Feb-17 15:59:40

How can the Pope reduce your he sentences - does he have that power? Where were they tried? Gone totally off the Catholic church the past few years.

ErrolTheDragon Mon 27-Feb-17 16:03:50

The Christian doctrine of 'forgiveness' is one of those things which sounds lovely but is actually not necessarily a good thing at all.

It shouldn't be up to the Pope, or a god, whether to forgive a criminal. It should only be up to the victims. And even then, the punishment for the crime should be a matter for secular justice. No special rules for one group over another. No magical 'get out of jail free' card.

ErrolTheDragon Mon 27-Feb-17 16:07:21

How can the Pope reduce your he sentences - does he have that power? Where were they tried?

Well, that's presumably the problem - in The Vatican, which is a state. It seems that at least one of these criminals has been subsequently tried and sentenced in the Italian courts, its a bit unclear but I'd hope the Pope has no say there.

4yoniD Mon 27-Feb-17 16:30:06

"One of the priests was the Reverend Mauro Inzoli, who was found guilty of abusing young boys by the Vatican in 2012 and was ordered to be defrocked.
However, he appealed, and in 2014 Francis reduced the penalty to a lifetime of prayer, prohibiting him from celebrating Mass in public or being near children, barring him from his diocese and ordering five years of psychotherapy."

The way I read it he wasn't released from jail/regular sentencing, but rather allowed back into the church as oppose to remaining kicked out of it. Not sure how I feel about it, but it does seem to have plenty of caveats and not necessarily a terrible thing.

SanitysSake Mon 27-Feb-17 16:32:30

Yes... you can effectively kiddie-fiddle with impunity, but don't you dare get divorced!!!

Chloe84 Mon 27-Feb-17 16:33:19

LadyPW

Don't be upset - they're actually being punished severely - they've got a lifetime of prayer hmm confused angry

The point is, Lady, that they're going to be free. A lifetime of prayer can't be enforced. They're not under house/church arrest.

2014newme Mon 27-Feb-17 16:33:58

The Pope is a wanker who does vast harm in the world.

ImperialBlether Mon 27-Feb-17 16:36:05

Please don't call it "kiddie fiddling" - that's a really disgusting term.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 27-Feb-17 17:12:03

Well the God I pray to will be disgusted and furious

LadyPW Mon 27-Feb-17 18:35:42

Chloe I was being sarcastic (hence the faces) - I think it's disgusting. They should be locked up, not forgiven and quietly moved out of sight till next time.

Chloe84 Mon 27-Feb-17 18:39:03

Ah sorry LadyPW

TheFallenMadonna Mon 27-Feb-17 18:43:08

The Pope hasn'the released them from prison. He can't imprison them. The priest in question has also been tried within the criminal justice system. His canonical punishment was defrocking, ie not being a priest any more. Now he is still a priest (and thus under the church's jurisdiction), but is not allowed to celebrate Mass in public, be near children or be in his former diocese. Plus the psychotherapy. Which sounds more controlled than defrocking.

LadyPW Mon 27-Feb-17 18:46:34

No problem. I'd say 'Have a couple of Hail Mary's as repentence' but that would probably be the same punishment reserved for granny-bashers or something in the Pope's eyes!
Haven't liked him since they appointed him. Now I know why.

DevelopingDetritus Mon 27-Feb-17 18:49:19

Disgusting.

Terfinator Mon 06-Mar-17 14:29:45

Are you defending him @thefallenmadonna? grin

Terfinator Mon 06-Mar-17 14:30:21

Wrong emoji! It was meant to be shock! shock

ExitStage Mon 06-Mar-17 14:39:22

I don't think there is anything in fallenmadonnas post that sounds anything like defending him.

She sets out the frame work within church law that he is punished by. That's all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now