Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

... to not eat re-frozen chicken

(36 Posts)
JacquelineChan Mon 27-Feb-17 14:03:47

Who is right ?
DP bought a tray of raw chicken thighs and declined to portion them up before freezing because he was going to 'cut them with a hot knife' ! when he wanted to take some out for cooking.
Well unsurprisingly he cannot 'cut them with a hot knife' so has taken them out to thaw , batch cook curries, then put back portions in the freezer.
Tell me - is this safe ?
I say no !

PickAChew Mon 27-Feb-17 14:04:31

Not safe at all.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 27-Feb-17 14:04:40

If the chicken has been cooked it's fine to re freeze.

Sirzy Mon 27-Feb-17 14:05:25

If it has been cooked then frozen then I would eat it. Just make sure it's well heated

NorksAkimbo72 Mon 27-Feb-17 14:05:49

If they are thawed, then cooked, the cooked portions can be frozen.

JacquelineChan Mon 27-Feb-17 14:06:18

thanks both for your quick replies !

I say No , so Giles do you do this and presumably you have survived ?

Soubriquet Mon 27-Feb-17 14:07:14

So he's took them out, thawed them, cooked them and then re-froze?

That's perfectly fine

If he has taken them out, thawed and then put them back to freeze without cooking that's not fine

Coulddowithanap Mon 27-Feb-17 14:07:33

Yes it will be safe if they have been frozen, defrosted, cooked then frozen.

JacquelineChan Mon 27-Feb-17 14:07:35

well i will go with the majority......maybe I will let him sample the first batch then wait 24 hours , then make my decision !

Soubriquet Mon 27-Feb-17 14:07:59

I've eaten curry done the first way

Cooked meat is fine to freeze even if it's been frozen before

mikado1 Mon 27-Feb-17 14:08:05

Do this every week! It's fine as it's in a different 'state'. You cannot refreezs it raw of course.

It's fine if they have been cooked - you can freeze once when raw and once when cooked

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 27-Feb-17 14:08:15

Well the way I read it was that he used the chicken to batch cook the curries so I assumed you meant all the chicken was taken out freezer thawed and all used in a curry.

Meat can be frozen raw then cooked and re frozen.

NorksAkimbo72 Mon 27-Feb-17 14:08:31

I did it last week! Thawed some minced beef, made meatballs, had loads left over, bunged in freezer for another meal. Will do it again today with cottage pie.

MissBattleaxe Mon 27-Feb-17 14:08:43

Yes. Once defrosted food has been cooked it can be refrozen. I often make shpeherds pie with frozen mince and freeze the cooked leftovers. I've never poisoned anyone. It's fine.

It's not OK to defrost chicken and refreeze it without cooking it.

JacquelineChan Mon 27-Feb-17 14:09:00

thank you everybody I will have to eat my words ( along with the chicken curry ! ) x

LurkingHusband Mon 27-Feb-17 14:09:41

www.tv.com/shows/bang-goes-the-theory/bang-goes-the-theory-s5-e6-2869185/

Yan explains why refreezing food is not a great idea

One of the few programmes which changed my behaviour ... it's not the bacteria (which are killed by cooking) that are harmful. It's the toxins they leave behind.

FruitBadger Mon 27-Feb-17 14:10:28

They're fine to freeze again if they're fully cooked in between.

But yes, I would have split the packet before freezing them too, because it's easier to get out the right amount for what you want to cook wink

Chloe84 Mon 27-Feb-17 14:10:37

He's not refreezing thawed uncooked chicken so not a problem.

I would make sure frozen cooked chicken is hot and piping before it is served.

superfringe Mon 27-Feb-17 14:12:07

If you change the state(cooking) then it can be refrozen safely. Never refreeze thawed meat which is still raw though.

www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/campaigns-0/germwatch/science-fsw/freezing

Ewock Mon 27-Feb-17 14:17:04

As pp say if he has defrosted the chicken, cooked it and then frozen it, that is fine. We do this all the time with chicken, mince anything really and we are still alive 😉. Basically its batch cooking I try to make more than we need so that I can have a few go to meals in the freezer for days when I know I will not have time to cook. If he has defrosted it then re-frozen without cooking the no way.

gamerchick Mon 27-Feb-17 14:22:23

It's fine, you don't batch cook usually then?

Ah I fancy chicken curry now!

JacquelineChan Mon 27-Feb-17 14:33:19

Hi Gamer
yes i batch cook but always with fresh meat then freeze , then defrost , reheat and eat.

I honestly thought you could not re freeze meat - well i must have been going by some very outdated advice !

i am really glad i checked and DP even gladder because I said ok i'm sorry I am wrong
(only on this occasion haha )

TheOnlyLivingBoyinNewCork Mon 27-Feb-17 14:37:37

It's perfectly safe. You can freeze once in each state, so uncooked, freeze, defrost, cook, freeze, defrost and eat is absolutely fine.
This has always been the case.

Oysterbabe Mon 27-Feb-17 14:55:35

I do this all the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now