Talk

Advanced search

Offer on house and no news.

(21 Posts)
Foxysoxy01 Mon 27-Feb-17 12:42:03

Very quick and easy aibu,

Would you find it very unreasonable to put an offer in on a house but not hear anything back from the estate agents for a week? (full 6 days)

It's not half term and no holidays. It's also a second slightly higher offer if that makes any difference.

NavyandWhite Mon 27-Feb-17 12:43:13

I'd chase it up.

PurpleDaisies Mon 27-Feb-17 12:43:14

Yes-phone them and ask what's going on and keep looking at other houses in the meantime.

FastandLoose Mon 27-Feb-17 12:43:19

In short, no. Presumably you've phoned them to follow up? What do they say?

Rosae Mon 27-Feb-17 12:43:51

Have you followed it up at all? No, I would expect to have heard something.

Rhayader Mon 27-Feb-17 12:44:11

Just chase them up about it... They might have your number down wrong or something.

Zampa Mon 27-Feb-17 12:44:19

I would expect the agents to keep you apprised of your position, regardless of any feedback from the vendors.

purplecollar Mon 27-Feb-17 12:44:47

I think EA must have forgotten. I'd chase it up with them.

I'd expect to be given overnight to consider it but no longer really. Maybe they are waiting for other viewings to be completed before deciding.

ginorwine Mon 27-Feb-17 12:46:09

They may have forgotten to submit offer ? Follow up - it happens .

Foxysoxy01 Mon 27-Feb-17 12:49:01

Well the advice from the financial advisor was to give an offer and then leave it as if you chase you look too keen and they are more likely to reject your offer confused

The first offer took a couple of days for the actual letter confirmation and then another few days for the rejection email. Obviously upped offer after 5 days as an email but now nothing for a week.

Think everyone involved is playing silly buggers tbh.

Bluntness100 Mon 27-Feb-17 12:52:37

That just sounds daft and I'm unsure why in writing, we've always just given offers verbally, call the agent and ask, say you need a response as interested in another property.

harderandharder2breathe Mon 27-Feb-17 12:54:09

I would definitely chase it up, I'd expect to have heard within a day or two

Kiroro Mon 27-Feb-17 12:59:37

Yeah just call and say can they give you an update because you are interested in another property that you would like to offer on if this vendor hasn't accepted your offer/doesn't wish to enter into negotiations.

Foxysoxy01 Mon 27-Feb-17 13:07:27

Thank you all for the advice!

I will give them a call, we like the house but wouldn't be absolutely devastated to not get the offer accepted and have seen another property just not quite as ideal location.

BluePancakes Mon 27-Feb-17 13:23:06

When we moved house, we had this situation. I chased it up, and the EA said the vendors were still deciding. It turned out that the people selling were going through a divorce (reason for sale) and one of them accepted our offer, and the other didn't. to be difficult

We ended up not buying that house, and now live round the corner in a better house. not biased at all It was a year before that other house sold.

WatchingIZombie Mon 27-Feb-17 13:23:42

Why are you communicating with them via email? You really need to speak with the estate agents directly or in person so you can start to build a relationship with them.

If it's a good offer you've made the estate agents should work hard to get your offer accepted as soon as possible (it's in their interests to as much as yours) or if it is rejected then they will then quickly get on the case to find you something else suitable. It may be that if you're not even communicating with them and haven't chased them up for an answer then you're not particularly serious buyers.

If your offer is accepted then you will also need the estate agents on side because you'll inevitably need them to liaise with the current owners to get things moving.

I think the advice you've been given is dreadful!

Good luck!

The80sweregreat Mon 27-Feb-17 14:17:12

Ring them up and see whats going on! good luck

EmeraldScorn Mon 27-Feb-17 14:59:39

Maybe the email has been overlooked? It can happen. I'd ring them and in future I'd conduct any dealings with them on the phone or in person, that way you can definitely be sure that the information has been relayed to a human!

Gobbolinothewitchscat Mon 27-Feb-17 15:02:13

I always put a time limit on offers and the say it will be withdrawn. Can't be bothered with playing silly buggers and I want to be free to put offers in on other properties without having to revert back.

I would call and then, dependant on what is said, restate the offer by email with a 48 hour time limit

daisygirlmac Mon 27-Feb-17 18:04:44

They are legally obliged to confirm your offer in writing within 48 hours so if you haven't had confirmation they may not have received it.

GlassSeahorse Mon 27-Feb-17 18:09:46

I had this. Three times I had to chase it and was advised by the same person that they were waiting to hear back from the vendors.

On the fourth time of phoning I spoke to a different person. The vendors had never been given the offer. We had to be registered with them before the offer could be passed to the vendors. Not sure what was going on there. By the time all this was sorted the house had been withdrawn from sale. So if chase it up if I were you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now