Talk

Advanced search

Careers advice

(2 Posts)
highinthesky Mon 27-Feb-17 12:09:35

I've had a fantastic career and got to the top of my chosen field early. I now feel there's so much more to life, and so much more I could be doing with my skills to help others and give me my spark back, but completely lack a sense of direction.

+ves: My skills are analytical and knowledge-based across a huge range of subjects and I have worked at a very senior level. Ironically, problem-solving in the workplace / other people's personal problems is a strength. Also have a v strong social conscience.

-ves: Unfortunately I also have the attention span of a flea, and gain and lose interest in things fast. I also refuse to do anything I realise will cause harm to others, however far down the line. I am aware that some people find me intimidating, not physically but at the point at which I open my mouth and then either a fear sets in / people's opinion of me escalates, depending on how (in)secure they are!

I don't know where to go with this, whether there is any agency that can help me. Government career services aren't really suitable, I see it for those without much life / work experience who need to get back into the workforce but I'm happy to be corrected. Am I being cynical to think so-called head hunters / executive search agencies are interested in their own profits rather than offering balanced advice?

I'm not really interested in a personal career coach or an "intelligent mirror" - I do this enough for other people. What I want is a bit more practical direction. What are my options in terms of careers advice?

womanwithoutasong Mon 27-Feb-17 20:25:47

Can I just say, you sound fabulous!

Seriously though, there are some very good head hunters out there. Search the Guardian's website for female headhunters. They feature occassionally and deal with people similar to you. There was a Radio4 program on a while ago about someone based in Cheshire who sounded right up your street.

Have you thought about working for the missing persons website or a charity dedicated to one of your interests or area of expertise? How about a specific type of law?

Whatever you choose, Im sure you'll do well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now