Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if it's too late for me to learn how to use make up?

(55 Posts)
Honeybee79 Mon 27-Feb-17 12:05:04

I have never really worn make up. My Mum didn't either so I never experimented with it as a youngster, perhaps because I had no one to show me the ropes, plus I have never had much interest in it. The most I do is put a bit of mascara on every few weeks if going out for a "smart" occasion.

I'm now 37 and, with two small kids, looking and feeling quite knackered. I caught a glimpse of myself in a shop mirror the other day and was a bit, erm, alarmed. I guess I would just like to wear a bit of make up to boost my confidence and brighten myself up - nothing that would take more than 5 mins or so to apply in the morning.

I am totally clueless as to the array of different products out there and how to use them. I cannot, for example, apply eyeliner or eyeshadow. I don't know where to start and I don't have much free time.

Is it too late to learn this stuff now and get into the habit of it? All my friends who wear make up have been wearing it since they were about 15 and have got it down to an art. They can do it in their sleep, basically. Same with hair (am also shit at that).

Thoughts?

RaspberryOverloadTheFirst Mon 27-Feb-17 12:10:41

I'm 48 and learning to use make up as I so rarely wear any.

I think it's just a case of practice. I've been using YouTube tutorials, starting with basic make up. X

IamFriedSpam Mon 27-Feb-17 12:11:10

No idea but I'm following because I could do with some help too - never wear make up and am too scared to start in case I end up looking like a clown.

DJBaggySmalls Mon 27-Feb-17 12:13:13

Its not too late but you need to find make up tutorials or lessons that suit your age and skin. Its not much use looking at ones by 18 year olds in my experience.

Moanyoldcow Mon 27-Feb-17 12:13:20

No - it's not too late and it's awesome fun too! I'm a 'product' junkie and it makes such a difference to how you feel.

You need a good basic moisturiser to form a base. Go to a decent makeup counter and get them to match a foundation to your skin (I like Clinique) - you can get a compact one which makes it nice and easy to apply.

Get a natural eyeshadow pallet, some mascara, a neutral lip liner and a matching lipstick and a basic set of brushes. None of this needs to be expensive.

Go on YouTube and search 'beginners make up tutorial' or similar and find a vid that will show you how.

And so begins a life-long addiction! Good luck.

You can PM if you want any advice - I used to work on a makeup counter as a student and used to make people up all the time.

SasBel Mon 27-Feb-17 12:13:44

This is a good place to start.

Honeybee79 Mon 27-Feb-17 12:14:08

IamFriedSpam - yes, am also a bit scared. I don't want to end up looking like the Joker . . .

SasBel Mon 27-Feb-17 12:15:28

I rarely wear makeup but using Lisa's techniques at least I still look like me when I do.....

Honeybee79 Mon 27-Feb-17 12:15:58

Thanks Moany!

SasBel Mon 27-Feb-17 12:16:08

I rarely wear makeup but using Lisa's techniques at least I still look like me when I do.....

wobblywonderwoman Mon 27-Feb-17 12:17:09

I have always worn make up but haven't really worn much since mg two DC have arrived. Just getting back into it again.

I recommend a compact too- much quicker. Light bronzer. A pink eye-shadow can look pretty and natural. Brown eyeliner - just use a magnifying mirror and practise. Eyebrow makeup.

Gloss. Revlon have a lovely natural colour.

sillypussy Mon 27-Feb-17 12:17:22

My DD, 19 has learnt how to put on the most incredible makeup despite me looking like Ronald McDonald most days!! She's watched loads of YouTube vids from basics through to some stunning eye designs. I think that's your best place to start.

LadyandTramp Mon 27-Feb-17 12:18:45

Go to a Benefits, Bobbi Brown or Mac counter, tell them and ask them to give you a makeover, hold a mirror up and get them to show you how to do it.
I was rubbish at applying eyebrow pencil and had a brilliant (free) session with a girl in MAC who did one eyebrow and got me to do the other one in front of the mirror.

Have fun!!

esmaesmomma Mon 27-Feb-17 12:18:53

Never too old to start (you are not old by the way) take yourself into somewhere like John Lewis to browse the make up the sales girls in there are friendly they will sit you down and show you different products and how to use them in a way that will flatter you and make you feel confident and beautiful (which I am sure you already are) x

Honeybee79 Mon 27-Feb-17 12:22:13

Thanks for the tips! smile

BoccadiLupa Mon 27-Feb-17 12:44:35

I second You Tube tutorials.

I watched a 'how to create natural beach waves with your hair straightener' 2 weeks ago and for the first time this weekend I went out with it and got loads of compliments! (I'm 43, too old for beachy waves really grin )

Orangecake123 Mon 27-Feb-17 13:08:26

You really aren't too old. I'm 25 and very new to the game. I grew up in a strict household and my mother didn't want me wearing makeup so I didn't. It may sound silly for me to say this, but on my very first night out with friends.Mac's Russian Red Lipstick literally changed my life, because for the first time I felt pretty and it gave me confidence that I never had.

I would recommend going to any department store counter, where you have the actual opportunity to try what you like and ask questions. Make up is one size fits all and my favourite youtubers are Patrick Starr and MannyMua. The charlotte Tillbury website also has good videos.

Whathaveilost Mon 27-Feb-17 13:19:41

Are you heck too old!

I would suggest that you go to a make up counter midweek morning if you can. They are likely to have more time to spend with you.

Pick one that suits your budget whether it be No7, Mac, , whatever or go to Space NK who use products across the ranges. You don't have to buy everything in one go and they write things down for you as well. You usually get a few freebies, if not just ask for some.

LavanderBrown Mon 27-Feb-17 13:35:48

Although it can be great to go to a counter and get colour matched. You don't really know what you are going to like get what formulas are gonna work for you. So in your position I would start out where you most people would of started out and try different things

Applebite Mon 27-Feb-17 13:40:07

god no! just remember the basics:

- get the right shade of foundation - the assistant will help
- highlight eyes or lips, not both
- neat brows make a big difference
- blend, blend, blend. so for example take a goldy/brown eyeshadow set - sweep the light gold over all of your lid, slightly darker in the crease and corner, touch of white underneath the brow, blend it all
- a bit of white shimmer under the brow and a dot of white in the inner corner of your eyes makes a massive difference. go to the benefit makeup counter for really good pencils for this
- depending on budget, get the best quality stuff you can; you do get what you pay for with makeup
- most importantly of all, NEVER sleep in it. however drunk you are, always take it off!

I find it helps a lot to wash my face with very cold water before moisturising and making-up. it seems to tighten up the pores, which are not necessarily your friends after the age of about 30!

but mostly, have fun - it's a nice thing to do, and if you aren't enjoying it or you don't like how you look after a few attempts, don't bother.

Applebite Mon 27-Feb-17 13:43:12

also, the best blusher by miles IMO is benefit's benetint - it's a liquid blusher that you dot on and rub in with your fingertips, and it's much more natural looking than a powder one.

best mascara I've ever found is the YSL volumising one, it makes your lashes massive and doesn't smudge at all.

Honeybee79 Mon 27-Feb-17 13:47:47

Thanks Applebite. It really is a totally different world! I think I find the sheer variety of products confusing tbh.

Applebite Mon 27-Feb-17 13:53:47

ah don't let them confuse you - they are all pretty much the same! once you've learned what you like, then you can experiment with different brands.

you need:

a good moisturiser
a primer like clarins flash beauty balm
a concealer if you have spots or other patches but not if you don't
a liquid foundation
a powder foundation (pressed or loose)
blusher
eye shadows in complementing colours
eyeliner (start with a pencil that you can smudge sexily and worry about liquids and gels later!)
mascara
lip liner
lip gloss or lipstick
a mirror

and a glass of wine smile

Applebite Mon 27-Feb-17 13:54:50

I normally apply in that order, but if you are worried about your hand shaking, do the eyes first - that way you can remove any stray mascara or eyeliner without wrecking your foundation and blusher!

Scribbles1980 Mon 27-Feb-17 13:59:12

I feel exactly the same, I am 45 and have never really used make up.
I hate the thought of going to a beauty counter & sitting therewith people watching.
Are there any actual make up lessons you can go to and learn?
I have looked online and they all seem to be for people who want to train as make up artists.
It would be nice to get unbiased advice.
I was actually thinking the other day how this would be a good business for someone. Lots of my similar aged friends feel like me and are far too embarrassed to go to beauty counters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now