Talk

Advanced search

To think it's a bit odd that DD's A-level Maths class is still only learning the stuff for the 2nd exam??!!

(10 Posts)
gracesmummy6 Mon 27-Feb-17 00:29:44

DD's class (its first year) are still only on the 'core 2' learning. Still have all of the third exam content to learn. AIBU to think this is quite close to the exams for this??

ShanghaiDiva Mon 27-Feb-17 00:34:40

When are the exams? My son took AS Maths last year and the S1 exam was on 15th June - so still plenty of time imo.

gracesmummy6 Mon 27-Feb-17 00:36:28

It's around the middle of May. For the first exam. Surely they should have learnt everything by then. With lots of time for revision.

abigwideworld Mon 27-Feb-17 00:36:56

It's normal for this time of year. I did AS maths a few years ago

KittyVonCatsington Mon 27-Feb-17 00:43:23

Oh god no. Perfectly normal. I don't know any subject that has finished 'Year 12' material yet, Linear or AS. Revision not all takes place over or after Easter holidays.

noblegiraffe Mon 27-Feb-17 00:44:18

With lots of time for revision.

No, there's no time for revision, getting through AS maths before the exams is always tight, your DD should be already revising at home, C1 and C2 past papers weekly.

That said, not having started the third module yet is cutting it fine. My group have finished C1 and S1 and are partway through C2 and I'm aware we need to keep up the pace to make it. I think it would be fair to ask the teacher what the plan is to ensure it's all done in time.

abigwideworld Mon 27-Feb-17 00:47:27

Noblegiraffe you'd really ask your 16-18 year old child's college tutor what the plan is? I'd have been furious with a parent for getting involved at that age.

noblegiraffe Mon 27-Feb-17 00:48:45

No, I meant her DD could ask! Sorry, it was clear in my head what I was picturing, but I didn't write that!

abigwideworld Mon 27-Feb-17 01:10:30

Ah that makes more sense!

Trifleorbust Mon 27-Feb-17 07:21:36

A level courses are bursting with content. Teachers have to choose between skimming/teaching it in the time available (still rushing but at least trying to cover everything once properly) and obviously revision time is the casualty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now