Talk

Advanced search

Upstairs neighbours' washing machine - would this be U?

(25 Posts)
BraCrumble Sun 26-Feb-17 21:34:08

My upstairs neighbours have their kitchen above my bedroom, and their washing machine basically above my bed. When they first moved in I asked if they would mind not running it at night, and they were very polite and happily agreed. They've since had a baby and understandably I presume less able to schedule their washing as it has started being run at night. The spin cycle is loud enough to wake me up, and I can hear the whole cycle.

Would it be U or weird if I offered to buy a sound insulating pad to go under their machine? I'm very British about this sort of thing, and on top also very shy. We hardly speak as I never see them, but don't have an actively bad relationship. We both own our flats, but mine comes with the freehold.

I have to get up at 6 for work, and on top it makes me really stressed as I can hear the machine start and know it's going to get louder and louder and wake me if I fall asleep!

You might have guessed it's happening now sad

Mummysh0rtlegs Sun 26-Feb-17 21:36:22

It's 9.35pm, I think that's ok personally. If it will be finished by 10.30pm I think it is reasonable. If it is being started at 10.30pm I'd have a problem. It isn't very nice for you, but they probably assume you wouldn't be in bed till later?

Bailey101 Sun 26-Feb-17 21:36:43

Not unreasonable at all the mention an insulating pad.

As you also own the freehold, I'd check their lease for noise restrictions in case they don't take you up on your offer.

CrazyGreyhoundLady Sun 26-Feb-17 21:38:38

You're not asking them to do anything other than accept a gift and put it under the washing machine. Nothing unreasonable there at all and I can't think of any reason anyone other than an utterly horrible neighbour would object

UmmNo Sun 26-Feb-17 21:38:42

I think that would be a good idea, it might make quite a lot of difference.
It might also remind them not to use the washing machine at night.

Good luck.

Bagpussss Sun 26-Feb-17 21:39:55

Feel for you, my neighbour did this at 4am one time, and 6am the others to take advantage of the cheap overnight electric on economy 7. Incredibly selfish, go and speak to them smile

ThePinkOcelot Sun 26-Feb-17 21:40:42

I would just give them a friendly reminder OP. They may have forgotten that you asked. They may think it's not too late, but if you state you have to be up really early, I'm sure they can't take offence.

sabzii Sun 26-Feb-17 21:41:58

I think it's fine to pop round with the insulating pad (a new gesture) and ask if they mind using it. But U to expect them not to run washing machine at night, electricity is cheaper at night and they probably have multiple loads a day, or don't want to leave sick-encrusted babygrows overnight. Maybe ask them to put it on a quiet spin cycle eg delicates?

iamapixiebutnotaniceone Sun 26-Feb-17 21:42:09

You sound very reasonable, they probably just have a different idea of what is 'late' to you. If they had stopped previously then they will probably be reasonable too and accept the soundproof mat graciously wink

MongerTruffle Sun 26-Feb-17 21:42:59

This happened to us when we lived in a flat. Our neighbour had Economy 10, and the hours were really weird. He was always doing his washing at 2am.

BraCrumble Sun 26-Feb-17 21:43:28

I know it's not that late, but it's starting now, it'll be going until gone 10. I used to live in a block of flats where it was in the lease that all cycles had to be finished by 9pm. If it was above the living room I wouldn't give two hoots!

I don't think they'll be furious or anything, I just over think it so much! Like they'll think I'm selfish and be walking on eggshells in case the sensitive woman downstairs complains again. It's also been going on a while and I haven't had the guts to mention it, so it feels even more awkward!

Goldmandra Sun 26-Feb-17 21:44:36

My machine's standard cycle is three hours so if it is like mine it won't finish until well after midnight.

YANBU to offer to buy a sound insulting pad but what happens if it isn't effective? They may feel they can use the machine any time they like with it in place.

I would just go and ask when is a good time for a chat and then explain your experience. You could also offer to let them come and listen to how loud it is in your room when it is spinning.

I hope you can sort this out amicably.

JennyOnAPlate Sun 26-Feb-17 21:46:11

Can you buy some earplugs? I wore them in my student flat many years ago and they make a big difference.

I would knock again and ask them not to run it at night. Of course they might say no, but they might be reasonable.

boolifooli Sun 26-Feb-17 21:46:55

I second earplugs. They're amazing

JonesyAndTheSalad Sun 26-Feb-17 21:47:17

9.35pm is a tad late but not that bad. I'd ask if they wanted the pad. I would personally buy the baby a little gift, just a small thing...then take that up with the pad as an already decided thing.

Say that you saw the pads for under washing machines and thought they'd like one to help the noise and then say and here's a little gift for the baby! All cheery and bright.

BraCrumble Sun 26-Feb-17 21:47:44

sabzii
That's why I've been so reluctant to bring it up again! I know how hard it is with a baby otherwise I probably would have said something by now.

I think I will go through with the pad idea - I just have to psych myself up to it socially! If it works it would be lovely!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sun 26-Feb-17 21:51:58

not that it helps you , but my new machine came complete with an insulating noise reduction pad.

I haven't bothered with it as it's out in the washhouse, so I never hear the machine, but I suppose it's good they are available.

Domino20 Sun 26-Feb-17 21:52:16

Economy 7 is the only tariff for cheaper electricity and it's unlikely to start as early as 9/10:30pm.

RandomMess Sun 26-Feb-17 21:53:57

Buy the pad and remind them that it is above your bed and hear the whole cycle, tell them you get up at 6am so they could always use a timer to start it then so it's done first thing in the morning...

It really is very inconsiderate of them using it so late when they know it's above your bed!

NotAMammy Sun 26-Feb-17 22:00:18

Not being unreasonable at all, but I'd definitely mention what time you need to be up/what time you would consider late. I wouldn't have considered 10pm to be too late for the washing to finish, but I'm a bit a night owl, and maybe they won't have thought that was too late either?
They may not have realised how loud it is either, so you providing a solution along with a request will probably go down much better than suddenly having the downstairs neighbour telling you you're keeping them awake!

Strygil Sun 26-Feb-17 22:04:06

For Christ's sake why are people so afraid of talking to one another?

BraCrumble Sun 26-Feb-17 22:12:23

If you want to know the answer to that, strygill you either need a time machine to my childhood or a different thread!

YANBU to offer to buy a sound insulting pad but what happens if it isn't effective? They may feel they can use the machine any time they like with it in place.

That worries me! But it's all transmission through the joists so hopefully. I'd probably frame it as making it "not as loud", rather than silent.

viques Sun 26-Feb-17 22:13:42

Why should having a baby mean they have to reschedule their washing to the night? Obviously they will be running a few more loads, but if the
OP is at work they could run those during the day.

messystressy Sun 26-Feb-17 22:16:59

I live in a first floor flat. We do not use the washer/drier after 8pm (really 6pm), to be considerate to neighbours. Yanbu. I think you've made a very nice gesture in buying the pad. But, this is England, I would still feel awkward as hell and go out of my way to avoid you. :D

ClopySow Sun 26-Feb-17 22:22:52

Economy 7 isn't the only tarriff. I have economy 10. Cheap electricity between 4.30am - 7.30am, 1.30 - 4.30pm and 8.30pm - 12.30am so it could be that they're doing it when electricity is cheaper. I do, but my kitchen backs on to my neighbours kitchen and is above and below kitchens. If it was above a bedroom i wouldn't put a wash on much later than 8.30, but i don't think it's unreasonable up until about 10.30.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now