Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Watching David Baddiel's The Trouble with Dad and the only thing I'm thinking is...

(27 Posts)
financialiasco Sun 26-Feb-17 19:53:04

... that he (as in David) is old.. Old, old old. I'm sure the last time I saw him I was debating with myself whether I preferred him or Rob Newman (ok, in retrospect they were both a bit tosserish, but still), but now he looks like an old(ish) man, so what does that make me??

I can remember watching that show they were on with Punt and Dennis and feeling like I was a bit naughty for watching them and my parents didn't 'get' them etc etc, and now he is relating a very moving, partly humorous, but ultimately very serious story that, who knows, could have relevance for me and/or my family at some not too distant point.

I don't know, there's no AIBU, but it's made me feel quite emotional right now.

TheFirstMrsDV Sun 26-Feb-17 19:57:40

They were replaying the Mary Whitehouse Experience on 4extra a while back.
I remember thinking it was hilarious.
Now I cringe. Its just a lot of blokes spiting out childish crap.
Its really not funny at all. confused

Schwifty Sun 26-Feb-17 20:02:45

I found myself laughing and crying in almost equal measure at the documentary, I thought it was amazing. Yes I fancied the football shirts pants off him in the Fantasy Football days, DB has also been be very funny on 8 Out Of 10 Cats recently too. Part of it is seeing him being so serious, IMHO. But then his smile and laugh are so infectious, even in the face of adversity. I'm glad to see MNs talking about it smile

papayasareyum Sun 26-Feb-17 20:44:32

It was a beautiful documentary. I'm a sucker for a clever dude.

JamesDelaneysHat Sun 26-Feb-17 21:31:07

It was a great documentary. Yes he is looking old! I've never had a thing for him mind you, I was a Rob Newman girl. I can imagine that Mary Whitehouse Experience has aged badly - I wouldn't like to see it again because at the time I bloody loved it.

I thought David Baddiel's interpretation of how his father said he loved him was very sad and moving.

gtyrfctsrght Sun 26-Feb-17 21:35:53

He does look old but as someone who watched him in Mary Whitehouse back in the day I'm sure you do too!! Compared to the early 90s I mean. I know I do!

I was always more for Rob Newman back then.

Great documentary though.

MyWhatICallNameChange Sun 26-Feb-17 21:41:43

You see David Baddiel looking really old. That's you that is. grin

And me too.

BarbaraofSeville Sun 26-Feb-17 21:53:21

I've just listened to the Mary Whitehouse Experience on Radio 4 iplayer and was shocked how dated and unfunny it was and quite cringy in places. I used to wet myself laughing at it as a teenager.

Mynestisfullofempty Sun 26-Feb-17 21:53:21

You see David Baddiel looking really old. That's you that is.

I wish I'd thought of posting that, MyWhatICallNameChange, instead I might've gone to YouTube to watch some History Today videos. blush
I used to like that creepy character Rob Newman played too (can't remember the name but I will as soon as I click 'Post message'.
I'm not entirely sure of the point of this thread tbh. It's not a surprise that people get old surely. That reminds me that on the radio this morning a presenter went "No!" in such a disbelieving shocked voice at being told that Len Goodman is younger than Mick Jagger.

Namechangenumber10 Sun 26-Feb-17 21:54:29

YES! I was totally thinking this, OP. Out of interest does anyone know what Rob Newman looks like now? Frank Skinner looks exactly the same imo!

I do miss 90s Baddiel. Does anyone remember that 'Unplanned' show they used to do every night on Channel 4, I used to love that. grin

Littlegreyauditor Sun 26-Feb-17 21:55:57

Jarvis MyNest. The guy in the smoking jacket with the black fingernails who said "Ohhhhh noooo" a lot was Jarvis.

ChuckDaffodils Sun 26-Feb-17 21:56:44

I saw the stage show of his family last summer. Fucking brilliant and heartbreaking.

LillyLollyLandy Sun 26-Feb-17 21:59:19

Rob Newman is now 52...

unicornfairylights Sun 26-Feb-17 22:02:33

I don't want to see the Mary Whitehouse Experience again! I think I'm happy with letting it lie with many of my other teenage tastes, like crushed velvet bodysuits!

Hobbes8 Sun 26-Feb-17 22:05:33

mynest was it the Milky Milky guy? The one who sniffed all the milk?

I'd love to see the Mary Whitehouse Experience again. I got Fist ofnFun on DVD recently and thought it had aged pretty well.

Hobbes8 Sun 26-Feb-17 22:06:01

And I saw a crushed velvet bodysuit in top shop the other day!

mylittlephoney Sun 26-Feb-17 22:06:31

Christ Rob Newman is still as lush as he was 25 years ago. I still would.

raspberrysuicide Sun 26-Feb-17 22:15:54

See that really really old man over there?
That's you that is...

TessTube Sun 26-Feb-17 22:16:06

I had a look a while back and it's really not very funny is it.

I thought it was hilarious when I was a nipper.

Sparklingbrook Sun 26-Feb-17 22:18:49

I loved Fantasy Football League and Unplanned.

Bit OT (but within the theme) but I have been introducing the teen DSs to Kevin Turvey Investigates. That's still funny.

I haven't seen the DB documentary with his Dad but will look it up on catch up.

MorrisZapp Sun 26-Feb-17 22:23:00

He writes very good books. And he's married to Mummy Pig.

TizzyDongue Sun 26-Feb-17 22:23:47

Rob Newman girl here too, he's aged well. I loved Mary Whitehouse Experience!

ilovesooty Sun 26-Feb-17 22:26:15

Brilliant documentary.

toffee1000 Sun 26-Feb-17 22:31:40

No no Milky Milky was definitely Hugh Dennis.

Littlegreyauditor Sun 26-Feb-17 22:34:48

[Hmm] Oh, I'm invisible like The Poltergeist. It was definitely Jarvis .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now