Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To want to cut down this tree

(10 Posts)
snarferson Sun 26-Feb-17 13:11:19

Pic attached!

DP thinks I am and wants to keep it (clay soil and it helps with draining).

Tree was a wee sapling when we bought the house and was attached to the post in the pic. Tree is now 9. It did separate from the post at sometime in its life. It looks like it's leaning more than it used to after storm Doris and I can see a root so I think it may become dangerous. As above DP thinks it's OK and wants to keep it (for reasons above and the world needs trees, trees are nice etc).

What do you all think?

NotAPuffin Sun 26-Feb-17 13:13:01

Looks perfectly fine to me.

madcapcat Sun 26-Feb-17 13:14:17

I'm with your dh on this one - tree looks fine to me. Healthy not leaning unduly. You've said it helps with drainage. Can't see a problem, sorry

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Sun 26-Feb-17 13:14:34

What sort of tree is it? and how close is it to the house?

You can get rid of the post though smile they only need them for the first season or two before they're established.

PolterGoose Sun 26-Feb-17 13:17:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

snarferson Sun 26-Feb-17 13:18:35

It does seem a nice healthy tree. Maybe I am being paranoid. it's about a car length away from the house and is much taller than the house. Not sure what sort it is blush DP will be happy to know he is NBU grin

Garnethair Sun 26-Feb-17 13:20:48

It's a silver birch. It looks fine to me

snarferson Sun 26-Feb-17 13:21:55

Thanks Garnethair always been curious to know!

Lostpangolin Sun 26-Feb-17 13:25:36

As with many trees, the roots will extend beyond the spread of the branches. Silver birch tend to root neat the surface. May damage the wall eventually. Why not remove and replant something with a smaller shrub with perhaps, colour/ scent to add to the appeal?

FrancisCrawford Sun 26-Feb-17 13:44:04

it looks fine and healthy.

Silver birches are lovely.

I'd leave it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now