Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU or is this not the best way to recruit for the PA?

(11 Posts)
fc301 Sun 26-Feb-17 12:09:15

Thread virgin - go easy.
So last night recruited a team of friends and took them to DD school for PA quiz night fundraiser. £17 per head for a small portion of curry, undercooked rice, half a naan. Puddings were auctioned off, licensed bar.
Fun evening. At the end of which PA Chairman stood up and had some sort of breakdown. I can only assume wine was involved. Basically bollocked us all at length for not doing enough to step up to the committee. Said her husband (who was manning the bar) would divorce her if she carried on any longer. When a bit of (embarrassed) low chatter broke out on 1 of 20 tables she almost screamed "shut up at the back". Topped it off with "and help clear up".
So, as I said, a fun evening.

fc301 Sun 26-Feb-17 12:13:22

I estimate there are >2000 parents. At most there were 200 who were there supporting the event.

Reow Sun 26-Feb-17 12:15:28

Ha! Amazing. Bet she's cringing this morning.

annandale Sun 26-Feb-17 12:16:36

She clearly needs to step down. Perhaps the PA needs to close for a bit until some people turn up who want to do it.

200 people is good attendance so she's getting something right.

fc301 Sun 26-Feb-17 12:16:42

She's probably too busy fielding all those emails offering to take over her enviable position!

fc301 Sun 26-Feb-17 12:17:49

annandale yes that's what I thought. IME when someone's getting bitter about doing it they put others off. Just step down & force the issue.

OneWithTheForce Sun 26-Feb-17 12:19:39

Oooh I hope someone filmed it to show her when she is sober!

fc301 Sun 26-Feb-17 12:23:12

I don't know if you've ever watched 200 people try to have the floor swallow them up?...

WattdeEll Sun 26-Feb-17 12:34:39

Some people take on board too much personal stress over these events, and it builds up into a huge ball of stress and resentment.
I'm chair of our PTA, but we are so relaxed about events and volunteers. Help if you can/want to, don't if you can't or don't want to either way, we value your input in turning up or sending in the odd £2 here and there. We always explain we'll what needs to be done, make volunteers feel relaxed, make sure they have breaks, tea/coffee, are happy and we always say thanks. I personally always follow up with a thanks after the event. I never give anyone a job to do that I wouldn't be prepared to do myself and that goes for all of my team. We're all different and bring different skills or interest levels in supporting the PTA. What will be will be. We have super support from our parents and will always listen to ideas without any expectation that the person offering an idea wants to follow through and organise.
Sounds like she deffo needs to step away and the PA will either manage or not, but either way it isn't worth anyone's personal stress.

fc301 Sun 26-Feb-17 12:41:24

She was too worked up to thank anyone. Quiz masters, pudding cookers, curry cookers, no one.

WattdeEll Sun 26-Feb-17 12:56:26

😮 Oh the shame, she must be cringing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now