Talk

Advanced search

No I don't know what's happened because you've talked over it!!

(40 Posts)
MojitoMollie Sun 26-Feb-17 10:37:29

Is it just my family that do this??

Ask what they just said...? Or what's going on?angry No I don't know what's happened because you've talked over it!!

MojitoMollie Sun 26-Feb-17 10:37:50

(On TV programmes)

KondosSecretJunkRoom Sun 26-Feb-17 10:40:32

No. Not just yours angry I put the subtitles on everything!

Sparklingbrook Sun 26-Feb-17 10:42:11

We do a lot of rewinding.

hoopdeloop Sun 26-Feb-17 10:42:24

My DH does this all the time! Gives me the actual rage angry

Guitargirl Sun 26-Feb-17 10:42:27

DP does it all the time. We have very incompatible tv watching practices. I prefer total silence - he never shuts up.

ArchNotImpudent Sun 26-Feb-17 10:43:17

My husband does this all the time. It's maddening. He talks over something, then talks over the next bit, asking what he's missed. If it's a comedy programme, he has unerring timing and always manages to talk over the punchline. You have my sympathies, OP.

Man10 Sun 26-Feb-17 10:44:29

On both Freeview and Sky you can rewind a live broadcast to hear something again.

intrusivethoughts Sun 26-Feb-17 10:48:35

My household is the same, drives me crazy. Worse though is when they waltz in on about episode 5 of a series and expect me to bring them up to speed!

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sun 26-Feb-17 10:51:05

My dh does this. I didn't fucking write it & I can't bloody hear so how do I know?! It's infuriating.

CaptainCanary Sun 26-Feb-17 10:51:33

YANBU. DH sometimes feels the need to provide a running commentary as we're watching a show. "Oh look, there she goes...so she's going to go in that room and-" yes I fucking know she is I can see her walking through the door! Then inevitably he misses dialogue, asks "what did they say?" and I don't bloody know either because he's been talking and we have to rewind. angry

SnugglySnerd Sun 26-Feb-17 10:52:01

My mum does it. She always claims not to enjoy films but I think it's because she talks over the crucial first 20 mins and then can't follow the plot.
DH always says he's not interested in watching it so goes to have a shower/wash up etc then comes back half way through a programme and wants to be brought up to speed!

MojitoMollie Sun 26-Feb-17 10:53:06

Phew not just me then!!!

CosyNook Sun 26-Feb-17 10:54:16

DD does this.

MIL doesn't talk over programmes but has a completely different interpretation of whats happening ie no clue to the obvious (Unless its Death in Paradise with simple plot lines)

Llamacorn Sun 26-Feb-17 10:58:18

I do this blush
Dh gets annoyed with it constantly, but I can't help myself! 'What did he say, what does that mean?!' 'I've no idea because you're talking and you've watched the same amount as me so far!' I think I just get too excited about certain series and scared I'll miss anything.
Ironically dd2 does it too and it drives me mad.

Gingernaut Sun 26-Feb-17 10:59:52

Not just television programmes.

I have one of those 'friendly' faces which attracts wierdos. I need to work on my resting bitch face, but that's another story.

The number of times I've been spoken to at train stations just as the announcer is giving details of MY TRAIN is too many to count.

The latest was on a train delayed by passenger illness and this gobshite talked all over the station announcement AND the faint train announcement. I could have screamed.

Watching a DVD isn't such a problem now I live alone. And wear headphones.

ememem84 Sun 26-Feb-17 11:04:04

Dh does this. Usually during something I want to watch. It infuriates me.

We can't record or rewind. Aaahhhh

ClopySow Sun 26-Feb-17 11:06:21

My mum does this. Tells us what she thinks is going to happen, asks us why things are happening, asks what we think they're going to do. It drives me nuts. Just watch the fucking programme.

Zaphodsotherhead Sun 26-Feb-17 11:07:03

OH does the 'not understanding the plotline' thing. We get to the end of something fairly straightforward and he'll say 'I didn't understand a word of that'. I used to do a summary for him but now I just say 'oh. I did' and leave it at that.

JonesyAndTheSalad Sun 26-Feb-17 11:07:36

My MIL does it and I find it so frigging RUDE!

She's always commentating. I wouldn';t mind if it were questions but she says things like "Oh! What a fool!" or "WHY is she doing that!??" and you just think SHUT THE FECK UP MIL!!

WateryTart Sun 26-Feb-17 11:08:00

Another one with a DH who does this. It's a good job firearms are illegal.

theoracleofdelphi Sun 26-Feb-17 11:12:11

Uuughhhhhhh yes!!! DD does this! Wanders in halfway through a film and says "Who's she?" "Are they together!" etc etc. I pause and rewind and internally scream!! Then when I pause to go to the loo or get a drunk she turns the fucking channel over to watch something else!!! 😡😡😡😡

ummlilia Sun 26-Feb-17 11:12:13

DD talks through everything. I remind her we are not auditioning for Gogglebox. Thank goodness for Tivo and the ability to pause and rewind.

theoracleofdelphi Sun 26-Feb-17 11:12:49

*Get a drink but feel like getting drunk!!

ILikeBeansWithKetchup Sun 26-Feb-17 11:16:23

I do wonder about this with the people on Gogglebox! How on earth do they ever actually know what's going on with all that gabbing?? I laughed once when Lean told June to 'shh'.

I'd be useless on Gogglebox as I don't like talking when I am concentrating. SSGB last week I had to concentrate so much my head hurt. DH gave up asking me questions and stopped watching.

I can't watch a film with him as he simply does not understand the idea that the first 20 minutes are meant to be enigmatic. he spends the whole time (and with thrillers on TV too) going' who's that? have we met them before?' and then repeats the next time we see the same person...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now