Talk

Advanced search

just a few suggestions please....

(6 Posts)
pinkiepie1 Sat 25-Feb-17 21:03:39

Hoping i could get few opinions/suggestions, so DD is 3 nearly 4 and i just wondered if anyone's dc started hobbies at that age and if so what type or is she too young? Or should i leave her till she asks to do something? she goes to a school nursery every afternoon so she does socialize its more giving her something fun to do that's different and she might make some friends too, because her 3 friends at nursery have all applied to different primary schools so a little worried as it took a good term and half till she made friends, she's really shy and I hope doing something will build confidence.
Thanks.

altiara Sat 25-Feb-17 21:13:47

I think my DD did ballet between 3.5 and 4, maybe for a term before she started school and a couple of terms after. I wouldn't say it built up her confidence though. Not sure she was that fussed about it. Also did gymnastic tots thing. She didn't make any friends just liked jumping/swinging on stuff.

At school they work hard in reception on the social aspects so they settle in and make friends.

meganorks Sat 25-Feb-17 21:15:39

At that age they aren't really going to ask to do things. So up to you. She will be starting school soon and she will make friends. I have a similar age shy dd and she does gymnastics as that is what her older sis does. I asked is she wanted to do swimming like her sis she said 'no not really'. Asked about another thing that I thought she enjoyed, she said no.
By all means join something if you think she might have an interest. My experience of this age is that it doesn't really make a friend friend (ie someone you see outside of the class iyswim)

pinkiepie1 Sat 25-Feb-17 21:21:29

Thanks for replies. I think im just worried when she starts reception in September that she's going to find it hard. Obviously I've never had a 3 yr old before lol so just trying to give her best chance/start/shot I'm not sure what word I'm looking for lol.
But thanks ill have a look at dancing, things like that, I'd say it might make her sleep but doubt it lol xx

BoboBunnyH0p Sat 25-Feb-17 21:23:28

Recommend that you put her name on a waiting list for Rainbows, they can start at age 5 but often the waiting list is long. My daughter loved Rainbows and made several friends there, she progressed to Brownies and is now in guides and has a wider social circle. This is done comfort for when she moves to seniors as she will know more people thanks to Guides.
Consider looking at swimming lessons, anything else I would wait until she shows an interest.

OreosOreosOreos Sat 25-Feb-17 21:34:10

My 3yo started tumble tots in Sept last year when he was just 3. He's very active, so I thought he'd enjoy it - and he does!

I'm a SAHM and although we've always done quite a few groups, he only started a playgroup on his own (for just a few hours each week) from when he was 2.5, increasing to 15 hours from Sept when he got his free hours. I felt it was important for him to have a go at doing a few things without me, just to build independence before starting school.

He's always gone in very happily, and has loved it from the first session!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now