Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours problems

(25 Posts)
amIbeingu Sat 25-Feb-17 17:48:35

Have NC because I've not been quiet about this in 'real life'! Well that's a bit dramatic but basically I mean I spoke to friends and family for advice.

I live in a row of Vic terraces with the standard access across gardens thing. In our row there are 4, one to the left and two to the right (where the alley way is). We know both right neighbours and they are lovely. The house to the left is rented and the nice tenants moved out a few months ago... Don't even know what the new ones look like.

Today a letter plopped through our door from the estate agents that manage the rental. It is rather accusatory in tone but basically says that the access has been blocked and can it not be. We were stumped. The 'access' is just the path out the back door. Thinking perhaps something had come down in the storm we hadn't noticed we double checked... Nothing there. The only thing of note was the gate (to their garden) was wide open.

So how would you deal with this? I'm a tad annoyed that they didn't just knock on the door and speak to us if there was a problem (we are quite normal... wink). I did call the lady that had sent the letter but she was out of the office. Should I go and speak to them or is that a no no given they had a letter sent?

The only thing I can think is that they think there shouldn't be a gate there?!

Anyone had anything like this before?

mumonashoestring Sat 25-Feb-17 17:54:10

I'd write back to the agency and ask when it was blocked, what it was blocked with and how long for, since you've noticed no obstructions and can't really be expected to remove an obstruction you're not aware of... I'd leave the neighbours out of it for now.

JustSpeakSense Sat 25-Feb-17 17:59:23

I'd probably just knock on neighbours door and have a friendly chat.

And then when I knew why exactly letter was sent I'd contact agent (probably with a letter in the same tonehmm)

RaspberryOverloadTheFirst Sat 25-Feb-17 18:02:52

I think I'd contact the agent first to go d out what they think the problem is, and then respond to the agent accordingly.

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Sat 25-Feb-17 18:05:51

Is it open ended at the rear of the houses? Can they drive through the access way? I would ask the agent for specific information on the complaint.

amIbeingu Sat 25-Feb-17 18:10:57

Thanks for the advice all. No open ends. It's basically just normal gardens but with gates through them for access. I'm baffled... What's even more odd is that they keep their bins at the front of their house anyway (which is what the access is generally used for). Baffled!

JustSpeakSense Sat 25-Feb-17 18:22:58

Did you have the gate installed recently?

amIbeingu Sat 25-Feb-17 18:29:37

No, the gates have been here since we bought this house and presumably long before.

EatSpamAmandaLamb Sat 25-Feb-17 18:30:44

I'd be really annoyed that they hadn't just knocked on the door to discuss whatever the issue is. People who go straight to letting agents/neighbourhood committees/lawyers straight away are rarely decent neighbours in the long run.

2bluestars Sat 25-Feb-17 18:33:59

Just knock on the door and ask, have a friendly chat. As a neighbour who's been thought to have done things I have not done, and have only heard about it third hand, I would much rather people just came and spoke to me directly! If that sentence makes any sense at all...

DesolateWaist Sat 25-Feb-17 18:37:30

Just to check: am I right in thinking that there is a path that runs along the back of the houses between your house and the garden. All these paths link via gates.

Could it have been that your gate was locked?

In the house I lived in like this the milk man and dust men used the back path.

mumonashoestring Sat 25-Feb-17 18:42:00

I'm wondering if the tenant /agent has had a letter from the council about leaving the bins out and the tenant claimed the alley was blocked instead of owning up to being lazy? We used to live in a terraced house with access to the rear via alleys and we'd get snarky letters from the council if our bins were left out on the pavement. One of our neighbours tried claiming that our fence was making the alley too narrow to get their bin down because they couldn't be arsed to drag it out and back in on collection day...

amIbeingu Sat 25-Feb-17 18:43:00

That's correct, well it's not even a path really - we have a concrete bit, neighbours have paving slabs - basically there are a succession of gates right by the back doors and you can just walk through that section of garden. It's only really used for bins or occasional workmen/women. The gate doesn't lock to my knowledge - we don't use it because we are going the opposite way with our bins etc but we have chatted with the previous neighbours who used it with no issues.

amIbeingu Sat 25-Feb-17 18:44:44

That's interesting mum, I hadn't thought of that. That seems like a ridiculous effort to go to.

amIbeingu Sat 25-Feb-17 19:14:53

Just checked and the gate is wide open again!? confusedconfused

Cherrysoup Sat 25-Feb-17 19:20:56

Do you have pets/small DC? Why are they leaving the gate wide open? Access does not necessarily mean a clear path: an unlocked gate is fine, surely? Have you-shock, horror-spoken to the new neighbours and asked them to keep the gate shut when they're not using the access path?

wowfudge Sat 25-Feb-17 19:22:07

I agree with the pp that they've made up an excuse for not putting the bins round the back. They may have had an inspection if they've only been there a relatively short period of time.

JojoLapin Sat 25-Feb-17 19:31:54

Hardly a "problem"... Just speak to them or as suggested above reply to the letter saying that you are unaware of the mentioned obstruction but are happy to discuss.

amIbeingu Sat 25-Feb-17 19:36:00

I have already called the agents, the lady is calling me back on Monday. I have just been to knock but they must be out, they clearly don't want to talk to us though or they would have in the first place. No children or pets.

amIbeingu Sat 25-Feb-17 19:37:02

I agree fudge that could be it. I do have the number of the landlord but think it would be inappropriate to contact them. Will wait to hear back from the agents, the lady on the phone agreed it was ridiculous...!

amIbeingu Sat 25-Feb-17 20:43:56

Anyone else have an opinion?

JustSpeakSense Sat 25-Feb-17 22:24:09

The fact that they keep leaving the gate open makes me think that is what their issue is, the fact that you have a gate?

(Even though an unlocked gate, that has been there for years, is not an obstruction)

amIbeingu Sat 25-Feb-17 22:36:49

Well that's what I'm thinking... I've only noticed it open today but we are out of the house during the day and haven't spent much time in the garden as its winter and dark! Surely no one can take issue with a gate... That seems madness.

UmmNo Sat 25-Feb-17 22:48:45

I wouldn't read to much into this and I wouldn't nessecerarly think the neighbours or the rental agency have done anything wrong. It's probably just a misunderstanding. I'd send a polite and friendly email with photos to the agency and not give it anymore thought.

UmmNo Sat 25-Feb-17 22:49:04

Sorry for typos ..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now