Talk

Advanced search

To challenge you all to help remember a strange room shown in schools in the 70s?

(12 Posts)
Brokenbutbreathing Sat 25-Feb-17 15:42:54

I think this would have been shown in a primary in school in Scotland around 1977-1980 (but possibly England 1980-1983).

It was animated, I think, and shown under the guise of science education, and possibly demonstrated some theory of relativity or gravity? Parts were something like a castle with lots of staircases which went turned and went up and down in ways that didn't make sense. Things seemed to move up and down without gravity, on the underside of the staircases for example.

I was mesmerised and have been trying to remember what it was for years. Anyone else remember anything similar? Anyone?

EastMidsMummy Sat 25-Feb-17 15:45:27

Is it an Escher drawing?

ProfYaffle Sat 25-Feb-17 15:46:59

I agree, sounds like Escher.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sat 25-Feb-17 15:47:43

This?

NormanTheForeman Sat 25-Feb-17 15:48:51

The only thing I can think of which is anything like that would be the drawings of M. C. Escher, but those aren't animated, and are art rather than some part of science education.

I was around then, but at secondary school/uni, so never saw anything like you describe at primary.

NormanTheForeman Sat 25-Feb-17 15:51:12

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativity_(M._C._Escher)

This drawing by Escher is called Relativity btw.

dylsmimi Sat 25-Feb-17 15:52:52

Not sure it would have been shown in school but are you thinking of the film labyrinth ?
There is the bit at the end with Sarah, Toby and the goblin king on Escher type staircases

Brokenbutbreathing Sat 25-Feb-17 18:01:17

Ah, thank you all so much! I think definitely based on Escher. It was a film though, sorry I wasn't clear. Very modernistic (for the time), and lots of the staircases (like in Labyrinth, but not that).

So, a film, probably based on Escher, very technical, in a big castle type place but clean and modern. At least half an hour I think. It can't be only me that saw it?

Brokenbutbreathing Sat 25-Feb-17 18:02:30

I don't remember people in it, thank you shotgun, and it was much much bigger.

atheistmantis Sat 25-Feb-17 18:16:02

This?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=erQ4Mqv9l4A

(not RTFT, sorry)

atheistmantis Sat 25-Feb-17 18:17:47

or his Tower of Babel - www.escherinhetpaleis.nl/escher-of-the-month/castle-the-air/?lang=en

half way down in the middle.

Brokenbutbreathing Sat 25-Feb-17 22:07:38

Atheist thank you! It's not what I'm remembering but is definitely from the same stable. At least I didn't make it up totally in my head hopes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now