Talk

Advanced search

Returning to work

(20 Posts)
lalaloops Sat 25-Feb-17 15:27:14

Just wondering when people returned to work?

I am having to go back 2 months earlier due to finances. Dd2 will be 6 months. I am absolutely heartbroken.

Trifleorbust Sat 25-Feb-17 15:30:53

I'm going back when she's 4 months so my DH can take some of the leave. Heartbroken as well flowers

Sugarcrystal2002 Sat 25-Feb-17 15:30:55

I had to do the same although we put it off a further month due to having to move house. One thing I did do was contact work and see if I could add some holiday to the end of my maternity which helped with the financial aspects.

TheBrilloPad Sat 25-Feb-17 15:33:36

I know the feeling. It sucks.

If this is DD2, do you have the reassurance of already knowing the childcare she will be in? When I had to go back earlier than I wanted after my second, I could at least reassure myself that he was going to be with a childminder who I knew and trusted, and I knew she would do a wonderful job.

Just focus on the positives while you are there - drinking tea while it's hot, going to the toilet in peace, wearing "nice" clothes. You'll get through it and it won't seem so bad after the early days. Your daughter will be fine, she has a mum showing her all about hard work and independence and finances, and you and her will appreciate your time together when you aren't at work so much.

Osirus Sat 25-Feb-17 15:44:47

It's horrible isn't it? I'm going back after the full year but I'm still dreading it. I'm trying to the minimum amount of hours possible!

lalaloops Sat 25-Feb-17 15:47:27

Dd2 will be going into nursery. Partner works shifts so need to accommodate that. I am able to work from home so at least that is something. I'm going to see if my mum and Dad will help so she doesn't go into nursery until September

Babyroobs Sat 25-Feb-17 15:49:23

I went back when ds1 was 6 months, ds2 was 5 months ( despite him being born 6 weeks prem),. I took a year off with ds3 as had 3 kids under 4, then 6 months of with dd1. With the first 2 children we lived abroad in a country where there was no real mat pay. Fortunately the babies were in a Nursery on the site of the hospital where I worked so I was able to go and breast feed them in my tea breaks. I think maternity provision in this country is pretty good on the whole. No-one has to take a full year if they can't afford it.

Blankiefan Sat 25-Feb-17 17:26:16

I went back at six months, hopping & skipping. Delighted to get a bit of myself back. DD was in nursery full time from 6 months - she loved it.

Three years later, me and DH are still full time. All the juggling works. DD still loving Nursery.

It doesn't have to be terrible.

Lilaclily Sat 25-Feb-17 17:28:11

I had to go back at 5 months as maternity leave was only 6 months paid and I had to start maternity leave at 36 weeks

Tantrictantrum Sat 25-Feb-17 18:45:33

I went back after 6 weeks as couldn't afford not to.

OMClaire Sat 25-Feb-17 18:46:43

I went back when DD was 5 months. It's really hard but it does get easier flowers

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sat 25-Feb-17 18:53:11

My dc were born when mat leave was 6 months maximum. I went back at 6 mouths with both of them. I actually think they are easier to settle at that age. My sister went back to work after a year at home and her dd took months to settle in nursery.

SovietKitsch Sat 25-Feb-17 19:01:05

I went back when DD was 6 months old, I felt awful about it, but she was much easier to settle than her brothers who were 12 and 10 months respectively. It's actually a much better age for them because the separation anxiety hasn't kicked in yet, so there's definitely a plus to it, even if it feels crap!

CPtart Sat 25-Feb-17 19:01:20

At 4 and 5 months respectively. More than ready tbh. Babies were fine and I felt so much better for it.

Munchkin1412 Sat 25-Feb-17 19:02:46

9 months. People thought it was early but my maternity pay ran out and I was honestly ready to go back by then.

Whattodo23 Sat 25-Feb-17 19:05:56

Going back when baby turns one, dreading it already

LordPeterWimsey Sat 25-Feb-17 19:06:32

6 months - logistically difficult because DD wouldn't take a bottle and DH had to spend hours with a spoon or cup to feed her, but otherwise absolutely fine. And had the added bonus that when the separation anxiety kicked in later, it was DH rather than me that she couldn't bear to be parted from - so I could drop her at nurseryn my way to work with no tears and DH could pick her up. (If we did it the other way round that was another story!)

dingdongthewitchisdead1 Sat 25-Feb-17 19:41:25

I went back when dd was 4.5 months 😢 it was really tough but when you have no option but to go to work, you manage to make peace with it.
What you are doing is providing for your family. Nothing to feel bad about. You are being a role model for your daughter and can take pride in the fact that every penny you spend is your own. You are an amazing mum.. don't forget it! flowers

KatharinaRosalie Sat 25-Feb-17 20:00:57

4 months with DC1 and 3,5 with DC2. Was more than ready, bored to tears at home.

GnomeDePlume Sat 25-Feb-17 20:11:53

6 weeks with DD1, 3 months with DS and 4 weeks with DD2. Financially we didn't have a choice so made the best of it. Don't beat yourself up about it. You are doing the best for your family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now