Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask for help being sneaky...

(116 Posts)
OpalFruitsMarathonsandSpira Fri 24-Feb-17 23:08:44

...and AIBU to do this?

We are on an economy drive. Already we are pretty good but I know we can get better still!

I want to refill the containers with similar but cheaper product - family won't notice, but will piss and moan if the bottle is different. I want to keep morale up.

E.g:

Listerine sensitive clean mint
Laundry powder
Dove men shower creme
Aquafresh kids mouthwash
Fairy liquid

OpalFruitsMarathonsandSpira Fri 24-Feb-17 23:09:40

As in tell me your best cheap alternatives!

FluffyEwok Fri 24-Feb-17 23:12:45

Just go to home and bargain!

annielouise Fri 24-Feb-17 23:13:25

Not sure about everything on your list but for years I've bought Tesco or Sainsbury own brand or value brand washing powder - plain white box with a bit of orange on at Sainsbury or the plain white box with bits of green on at Tesco. I actually think it's better for our skin as Bold and Persil have given us all rashes - probably the perfume additives.

Buying anything other than Fairy Washing up Liquid I think is a false economy. It lasts ages. Much better than all the others.

MiddleClassProblem Fri 24-Feb-17 23:14:47

I've found mouthwashes taste completely different so you might get caught out on that one unless you find a match

Stabbytheunicorn Fri 24-Feb-17 23:14:48

So by family you really mean husband? My kids wouldn't notice those things. I really thought u were going to say coca cola vs roller cola. Kellogg's vs asda own, Heinz vs asda own.

OpalFruitsMarathonsandSpira Fri 24-Feb-17 23:14:59

Thank you. The listerine is extremely expensive but I haven't tried home and bargain, do they sell it?

OpalFruitsMarathonsandSpira Fri 24-Feb-17 23:16:37

MiddleClassProblem that's true, I may have to accept defeat there!

OpalFruitsMarathonsandSpira Fri 24-Feb-17 23:17:41

Shabby yes, husband would be the fussiest one! grin

omnishamblesssssssssssssss Fri 24-Feb-17 23:18:36

Just make them just suck it up even if it tastes different. Can't be doing with fussiness!

presidentfart Fri 24-Feb-17 23:19:36

Mouthwash is just a waste of money anyway smile

ASilhouetteAndNothingMore Fri 24-Feb-17 23:19:41

I buy the tesco own brand kids mouthwash, think it's £1 a bottle. My kids like it.
I go to Home Bargains for all my toiletry stuff. A massive bottle of Pantene only costs £3.50 and lasts about 2 months. (I wash my hair every day)

OpalFruitsMarathonsandSpira Fri 24-Feb-17 23:21:05

I'm ok with it, especially as this isn't necessity saving now, more of an opal challenge to see how far I can squeeze the budgets.

ladylunchalot1 Fri 24-Feb-17 23:24:04

I've been putting Lidl tomatoes ketchup in a Heinz bottle for 1 year no one has noticed 45p vs 2.00 Heinz every time I laugh a little inside every tea time x😂

omnishamblesssssssssssssss Fri 24-Feb-17 23:24:12

For the height of sneakiness. You could use a full bottle of real listerine and slowly as it is used up, keep partially topping up with a cheap value brand till everyone's taste buds have adjusted

Any comments about it being different must be met with 'oh the lady in Tescos said it had changed flavour'

OpalFruitsMarathonsandSpira Fri 24-Feb-17 23:26:19

omnishamblesssssssssssssss you fucking genius! That's brilliant!

silkpyjamasallday Fri 24-Feb-17 23:33:42

YANBU as long as they don't catch you, then you will be branded by the aggrieved party as BVU! My only suggestion is for alternative to fairy liquid, and I was always an advocate for it over anything else even as a poor student, but after I had dd a relative did some shopping for us and got us Asda own washing up liquid in a silver-ish bottle (liquid was yellow) and it lasted FOREVER! Although I did perhaps have a slight increase in takeaways due to laziness

FuckingSausageFingers Fri 24-Feb-17 23:33:50

Kind of related but not to any of the ones you've listed...

I currently have the following skincare products in my bathroom cabinet:
100ml Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish (£15.50)
150ml NSPA Hot Cloth Polish from Asda (approx £3 on offer but normal price is £6.40)

Was converted to Liz Earle by a friend a few years back, but was running out of my normal one not long after I had DC and grabbed a quick fix while doing an Asda big shop.

ZERO difference.

Ok, small lie. They smell a bit different (both as nice as each other). I actually read the labels while I was brushing my teeth the other night. Same ingredients. till you get right down to the bottom of the list which doesn't really count anyway

It's ridiculous really. I'm sticking with my Asda one and even then I'm only buying it when it's on offer. Cheapskate that I am grin

MaryMorpho Fri 24-Feb-17 23:39:55

I think you will get away with gradually replacing them in most cases, especially things you don't taste. Own brand washing up liquid is fine, I never buy brand, and there's always a green fairy-a-like one.

Also though, look out for bogofs and special offers. Laundry stuff is especially good for this. I like fairy laundry gel and I regularly find it at less than half price in offers, then I stock up on loads. Superdrug is also great for special offers which might help with some of the other stuff (and their own brand things are great too).

OpalFruitsMarathonsandSpira Fri 24-Feb-17 23:40:31

silkpyjamasallday It will all be good humoured if I'm rumbled. But if I get away with it... £££grin

SaucyJack Fri 24-Feb-17 23:42:13

YANBU, but don't use cheap washing-up liquid. You are worth the extra fifty pence.

MaryMorpho Fri 24-Feb-17 23:46:49

Actually my system might be acceptable to your family for novelty value. Waitrose (ooh get me!) do a nice washing up liquid in a squirty spray bottle. It's runnier than normal, but foams up as you spray it so you don't use much. I bought it once, and now I refill the squirty bottle with own-brand stuff mixed 50-50 with water - works perfectly. I don't even do this to save money, but because like the squirty effect, but it's cheap.

Rachel0Greep Fri 24-Feb-17 23:47:00

Just one example, and I know people can be fussy about coffee. I regularly buy Aldi coffee and throw it into the coffee storage jar. Nobody can tell the difference, ime.

PuddleJumper01 Fri 24-Feb-17 23:48:21

Agree that Fairy does do the best washing up liquid... the others are a false economy. (but not the best dishwasher tablets, strangely!).

Fab idea about mixing so it's less noticeable.

I've got dispensers of the best handwash you can buy (brought while on special after christmas about a gazillion years ago) filled with the cheapest of cheap soap.

HashiAsLarry Fri 24-Feb-17 23:50:00

Use the mysupermarket app or if you have a Home Bargains or B&M near your pop in there. You can find brands easily for cheaper. I grabbed some of my posh leave in conditioner for £7 which costs a lot more normally in a hairdresser randomly today.

Most things I would say are usually a fine swap to supermarket own excect Fairy Platinum - that stuff is worth every penny. TBF we don't wash a lot but we spent more on cheaper brands than buying one/two large bottle of it on promo in a year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now