Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be so grumpy about my birthday?

(14 Posts)
TimTamTerrier Fri 24-Feb-17 21:08:14

Ok, I already know that you are all going to say that IABU, and not just that but an ungrateful cow to boot. But I'm going to say it anyway, perhaps a really good online slanging match will improve my mood.

I'm going to be 50 on Monday. I don't want to be 50. I don't like birthdays. I particularly don't like any of the zero birthdays (except possibly when I was 10). I haven't told anyone it's my birthday, but there are some people who know when it is, not least because one of them gave birth to me. And those people keep wittering on about how I HAVE to do something for my birthday, and I have to get a cake, and what do I want for a present, and when I say something they (by 'they' I mean my Mother) say "why don't you organise that and then I'll give you the money". I just want to be left alone to ignore it, but that seems to irritate everyone around me.

I don't mind people wishing me a happy birthday if that makes them happy, but I don't see why there should be a fuss, or why I should be the one to organise the fuss that I don't even want.

<grump>

Fevertree Fri 24-Feb-17 21:09:54

I feel you op I am 30 in a few weeks and am getting exactly the same (luckily not from my mum but from my Dh and friends and colleagues)

ImperialBlether Fri 24-Feb-17 21:12:53

It's your mum's celebration as well, though, isn't it? And why are you so miserable about it? Everyone ages at the same rate!

MrsMoastyToasty Fri 24-Feb-17 21:17:02

50 isn't bad (I turned 50 a few months ago ).
In fact you will have completed 50 years and will be starting your 51st.

TimTamTerrier Fri 24-Feb-17 21:20:08

My Mum is perfectly free to celebrate if she wants to Imperial, just not with me.

There's nothing 'wrong' with being any age, I just can't see the point of making a fuss over nothing about it.

LillyBugg Fri 24-Feb-17 21:25:25

It's my birthday on Monday and I haven't organised a thing. Kind of wish I had tbh. Maybe we can celebrate together OP. Tell them all you're busy with a mutual birthday friend.

ImperialBlether Fri 24-Feb-17 21:30:17

Do you and your mum not get along then?

TimTamTerrier Fri 24-Feb-17 21:31:36

We get along ok, we just have very differing views on a lot of things, including birthdays and whether or not they MUST be celebrated.

justilou Fri 24-Feb-17 21:37:59

Get yourself on a long-haul, international flight. I managed to skip my 40th by flying to Australia. Despite it being nearly five years ago, I have never turned 40 - ergo I am still 39!

TimTamTerrier Fri 24-Feb-17 21:42:05

I hate long-haul flights almost as much as birthdays. I didn't know how much I disliked them until I married a man from the far east and had to do long haul annually (although I haven't bothered in last few years, I've just let him go with one or both DC and had a lovely break at home).

cheminotte Fri 24-Feb-17 21:43:28

I totally agree that you shouldn't have to organise your own party ( that you didn't even want).

RandomMess Fri 24-Feb-17 21:44:35

40 so horrific I'm dreading 45!

Hate them hate them hate them.

TimTamTerrier Fri 24-Feb-17 21:47:15

To be fair, they know me too well to suggest an actual party, but apparently I should be organising a trip to a nice restaurant or, at the very least, tea and cake at home.

PidgeyfinderGeneral Fri 24-Feb-17 22:09:44

I feel the same. I hate a big fuss over my birthday and would much rather just have a quiet dinner out with DH.

When it was my 30th, apparently, mil was desperate to have a big party for me at her house, which would be living death for me. She suggested it to me and I said thank you but no. She then suggested it to DH when I wasn't around and he told her I didn't want a party. She then raised it AGAIN to him saying that she would do it as a surprise party and I'd enjoy it once I was there. shock

Fortunately, he put his foot down and said absolutely no, pidgey will hate it and she backed down, but FFS!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now