Talk

Advanced search

It's okay to let dogs exercise in a fenced off children's playground if there are no kids there

(38 Posts)
Bambamrubblesmum Fri 24-Feb-17 19:06:48

Someone has just said to me confused

Woman exercising 3 dogs with her friend and two children in said playground. Dogs running loose everywhere. Playground fenced off with gate and very clear signs that say 'dogs not allowed in playground'.

Couldn't believe it and felt I had to say something because there have been numerous occasions of dog waste in bags left around the playground. I'll be honest I was annoyed. But I was calm and polite and said 'you do realise dogs shouldn't be in the playground' which she got flustered and said she'd already removed them when she saw us coming (she had literally just scampered through the gate) I said that wasn't really the point, that dogs create mess and there's a whole field next door for them to play in! And so on. She claimed that we just had a difference of opinion.

Fwiw I love dogs and have two. So not a dog basher at all.

Was I being the fun police or was she a self entitled twat angry

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Fri 24-Feb-17 19:08:25

No.

I wouldn't go to a fenced off children's playground with a dog.

IllMetByMoonlight Fri 24-Feb-17 19:10:11

Well done for saying something.

MimiSunshine Fri 24-Feb-17 19:10:17

Nope NBU she just sounds lazy and didn't want to watch her dogs in a separate area to her friend and kids.

Well done for saying something to her. It's not a difference of opinion as the sign clearly prohibits it and she said she left as soon as she saw you coming therefore knew she was in the wrong

Legrandboucle Fri 24-Feb-17 19:10:48

She's a twat. Playgrounds are dog free for a reason. Surely she couldn't possibly know that her dogs hadn't left mess there. Also, despite there not being anyone else there at the time, the presence of dogs might put other people off from going in to the playground.

user1471596238 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:11:42

There wasn't a difference of opinion. You were right and she was in the wrong. I love dogs but it's not appropriate to take them into a designated children's area.

Abraiid2 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:12:01

She shouldn't be there with dogs. Period.

Twinkletowedelephant Fri 24-Feb-17 19:12:39

Not at all I am very thankful the park wardens let us use the tennis courts ( on condition dog has had a poo already) I would never let her in the park...

AlmostAJillSandwich Fri 24-Feb-17 19:12:46

Maybe her dogs don't have good recall to be allowed off lead and fenced in is the only option?
Obviously she knows she's not meant to have them in the playground but if nobody is there at the time and she doesn't let them wee/poo there is it really hurting anyone to let them have a little run off lead?

BarbarianMum Fri 24-Feb-17 19:17:09

If her dogs have such poor recall then I doubt she's got them under enough control to stop them pissing/shitting if they feel the urge.

pigsDOfly Fri 24-Feb-17 19:19:31

This sort of thing really annoys me too. I mentioned this to two women I saw in a children's play area with their two dogs. Nice sunny afternoon, not recently obviously, the play area was packed and they're sitting there with their dogs.

What makes them think the rules don't apply to them?

I've also seen people with their dogs in closed in tennis courts in one park I used to take my dog to.

All these places have signs saying 'no dogs allowed' but they just go right ahead. No it's not a place where they can work on their puppy's recall or exercise their anti social dogs, it's a tennis court, for playing tennis.

seafoodeatit Fri 24-Feb-17 19:21:40

YANBU, not a matter of opinion - it clearly had a sign that dogs weren't allowed. Kids not being there is irrelevant.

Obsidian77 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:24:52

YANBU she is an idiot

EurusHolmesViolin Fri 24-Feb-17 19:48:38

YANBU and well done

glitterazi Fri 24-Feb-17 19:52:09

YADNBU. She's an idiot, and either can't read or doesn't care.
Dog free means dog free.
If there's a whole field next to it for them to run about in she's an even bigger idiot.
Some people are sadly just entitled know it alls.

MadamMooMoo Fri 24-Feb-17 19:52:58

Aren't those signs legally binding as opposed to a guide? Even if no kids there it would put some parents off being able to take their children to play.

FabulouslyGlamourousFerret Fri 24-Feb-17 19:53:57

I used to let my ex Racing greyhound off in the tennis court and the play park if there was no one around, he NEVER poo'd or wee'd whilst out, he'd had a fucking shit life, raced 'til 5 and dumped in kennels for 3 years until he came to us for his last 18mths.

I could let him off lead anywhere else as he just ran ... and ran and ran, no recall or sense of direction.

We didn't do any harm and would go in the evenings when children and tennis players weren't around.

Rufus200 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:57:18

It is completely unacceptable to ever let a dog loose in a dog free area. Dogs faeces can carry parasites that blind children. Even if you pick up your dog mess it up it will leave a trace behind, which if I child puts its hand on that area or licks it (as little children will), they are being endangered!

bigearsthethird Fri 24-Feb-17 20:08:19

Not acceptable. Kids shouldn't have to play where dogs have potentially pissed up the slide steps. What an inconsiderate woman

FabulouslyGlamourousFerret Fri 24-Feb-17 21:28:39

None of my dogs have ever poo'd outside of our garden (sadly!)

Mominatrix Fri 24-Feb-17 21:30:27

Absolutely not on. Entitled prats like this give dog owners a bad name.

Nanny0gg Fri 24-Feb-17 21:32:31

* but if nobody is there at the time and she doesn't let them wee/poo there is it really hurting anyone to let them have a little run off lead?*

How do you stop a dog 'doing its business' when it feels a need to?

user1471545174 Fri 24-Feb-17 22:17:25

SIBU, it's about preventing toxocara canis.

EB123 Fri 24-Feb-17 22:20:13

Totally unacceptable.

stopgap Fri 24-Feb-17 22:25:15

Awful. Never in a million years would I do that with my dog. My pug has a bladder of steel when indoors, but will pee on everything and anything when outside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now