Talk

Advanced search

To ask for help on how to reply to this customer?

(523 Posts)
Squidpinky Fri 24-Feb-17 18:52:36

I need your help on how to reply to this customer.

I make cakes for living, home based but all on the books. Never had a complaint apart from today....

Quoted a lady for a 21st birthday cake for her daughter. Quite an elaborate design but she was very vague in what she wanted - I.e didn't specify colour etc just sort of said what she wanted and said "make it look pretty"

Her daughter's party is tomorrow, the cake is finished and she asked me to send a picture. I did and she was horrified - said it's not what she wanted, I was going to ruin her daughters birthday, the colour was wrong (even though she hadn't specified a colour. I offered to change details on it, obviously couldn't change the colour. She wanted extras adding to it which would have taken 6 hours atleast to make - that would have meant I made zero profit.

I made some changes to the cake which took me 3 hours and I sent her a pic and she was grateful saying it was much better and Thankyou.

I then get a message saying she wants it delivered now as I caused her so much stress and upset. The venue is an hours drive from my house. The original agreement was she was to pick up the cake. I explained this wasn't possible for me to deliver and she said that she has no free time tomorrow and can't collect it.

How do I respond to this? She's the type that will leave a bad review everywhere and anywhere so I have to tread carefully! Help!!!

19lottie82 Fri 24-Feb-17 18:55:51

Not sure about the response, but In fairness by not getting her to agree to a design you were asking for trouble. "Pretty" is a very objective term!

How long would it take you to deliver it?

19lottie82 Fri 24-Feb-17 18:56:33

Sorry just noticed it's an hours drive away. That would be a no from me!

ThePinkOcelot Fri 24-Feb-17 18:58:27

I would stick to your guns OP. You can't deliver. She really should have given you more info. Were her requests verbally or written. If written, I thought I would be inclined to copy them to her! What a pain!

littlefrog3 Fri 24-Feb-17 18:58:35

Say no. She can come get it.

From what you say, she will still leave a bad review, even if you DO take it to her.

Crunchymum Fri 24-Feb-17 18:58:49

Depends how much you don't want that bad review? And to be honest sounds like she is going to give you one whatever you do.

Has she paid anything towards the cake?

Are you prepared to offer a "goodwill discount" but on the proviso she collects the cake.

Squidpinky Fri 24-Feb-17 18:59:01

I did push for a specification on what she was after but she kept saying "I don't know, I'm crap with things like this" "use your artistic skills" - so I did!

jpclarke Fri 24-Feb-17 18:59:10

I think it sounds like one of those scenarios that you might need to suffer the loss for the sake of your reputation.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Fri 24-Feb-17 18:59:11

She is a pisstaker. Set up a Google Alert for your business and if she does post anything online you can politely and factually respond.

Squidpinky Fri 24-Feb-17 19:00:09

She hasn't paid anything towards the cake yet. The cake has already lost me atleast £100 by the extra work that's gone into it

AristotlesTrousers Fri 24-Feb-17 19:00:39

YANBU!

I can't stand people like this. Tbh, I expect she'd have found fault with anything and probably still will (she sounds like that sort of person). You're damned if you do and damned if you don't, I reckon, so if I were you I'd stand your ground.

EyeSaidTheFly Fri 24-Feb-17 19:01:38

Why don't you say you'd love to be able to help but it's such short notice that you can't this time - you are in fact delivering someone else's cake (ordered a long time ago) and there's no one to help you. Offer her some money off. I know you won't want to, but I'd do it just to stop her bleating. I think she is BVU.

DontTouchTheMoustache Fri 24-Feb-17 19:01:43

What a PITA! If she does leave a bad review make sure you respond and fight your corner (even quote the specification given alongside a photo of the finished design so people will know she is a pratt)

Mrsemcgregor Fri 24-Feb-17 19:01:49

I really want to know what your design looked like?!

Floods123 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:02:17

I bet this is the kind of person who makes a habit out of this. Was vague on purpose. I bet the next message will be asking for a massive discount for all the trouble caused and having to collect. I would make up a form signed by the customer with full details Inc cloud decor Tec for future orders.

CoraPirbright Fri 24-Feb-17 19:02:20

I don't understand how she can suddenly can have "no free time" tomorrow - if she was supposed to pick it up then. How ridiculous.

I would reply saying that you do not have the use of a car tomorrow but would be happy to arrange for it to be delivered via taxi. You have looked into the costs and it is XX. This will have to be met by her as it was always the arrangement that she would pick it up.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Fri 24-Feb-17 19:02:30

I'd eat the cake myself if she becomes any more difficult.

Akire Fri 24-Feb-17 19:03:53

Has she already paid you? If
She has stuck to your guns, you have already tried your best and done extra work. At some point you are going to get a bad review from a dodgy customer, if you have great reviews elsewhere I be tempted take
It on the head as 2h drive is too much especially if she may then still
Give you a bad- meh review after all.

PurpleMinionMummy Fri 24-Feb-17 19:03:53

One bad review if you have lots of good ones would not put me off. shit happens to everyone, and everyone gets shitty customers.

AlmostAJillSandwich Fri 24-Feb-17 19:04:37

Not charging before they pick up is a BAD idea. She's probably going to play on the fact she can't pick up that if you don't deliver she doesn't want the cake and won't pay for it. If she really hated the cake she probably doesn't want it and is using the "i can't pick up" as an excuse. I'm seriously doubting you're going to get paid for this cake.

PageStillNotFound404 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:04:46

Was she originally supposed to pick up the cake at some point during what turned out to be the extra time you spent modifying it? Or was she always supposed to pick it up tomorrow?

imsorryiasked Fri 24-Feb-17 19:04:49

Surely she was always going to have to pick it up from you?
Stick to your guns. If she does put a complaint online ask your other clients if they would be so kind add to leave a review on a website of your choice.

ImperialBlether Fri 24-Feb-17 19:05:15

Has she paid you anything in advance? I'd worry that if you don't take it, she won't pay. She's incredibly unfair - this is where we need a review site for customers!

HecateAntaia Fri 24-Feb-17 19:06:52

she wont pay you. i bet you anything.
get the cash up front or you wont see it.

and in future, agree a design in writing. even draw it out if needed.

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 24-Feb-17 19:07:30

I wouldn't take it to be honest. I suspect when you get there with it she'll try to negotiate something off the price.

If you do need to recoup costs and if you are going to deliver I would suggest saying that she needs to do a bank transfer to your account today for the full amount she agreed plus £x for petrol.

If she won't transfer I wouldn't go. The cake lady I use will always ask for a deposit of half the cost. Perhaps in future you might wish to consider doing that.

What a pain for you.

How did she find you?

If by Facebook I'd name and shame her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now