Talk

Advanced search

To be unhappy with hairdresser

(35 Posts)
krystellie Fri 24-Feb-17 16:33:45

I've been going to the same hairdresser for just over a year, every 6 weeks or so for a trim and colour. She used to be absolutely fantastic and managed to get the cut, colour and style spot on, yet wasn't outrageously expensive and was very friendly too (but not annoyingly so!).

Yet, the past couple of times, it's as though she's lost interest and both the colour and cut haven't been great (slightly uneven trim at the back and patchy colour which others have noticed).

I was due to go back for a root touch-up yesterday but when I went to the salon, she wasn't there. Her colleagues thought that she had left for the day, despite the fact that we had re-confirmed the appointment the day before. When contacted by the salon, she said that she had forgotten and was sorry but she could see me next week.

I appreciate that this is a bit 'first world problems' but am I being unreasonable to be rather miffed with her and consider going to another salon altogether? I had a similar experience a few years ago, where I used to live of, a previously excellent hairdresser seemingly losing interest after a few appointments.

Do people think that some hairdressers just get complacent? I am a good tipper too!

jay55 Fri 24-Feb-17 16:39:57

Find someone new.
No need to be loyal to someone doing a bad job.

krystellie Fri 24-Feb-17 16:55:32

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking. Just disappointing when she was so good for about a year.

What is it with hairdressers that makes some drop their A game after a few appointments?

HiDBandSIL Fri 24-Feb-17 17:11:38

Probably because you didn't tip!

HiDBandSIL Fri 24-Feb-17 17:12:50

Although a year is a long time to go before getting pissed off about tips. And you probably tip!

krystellie Fri 24-Feb-17 17:14:40

Hi, as mentioned, I tip very well (15%+) each time and have been seeing her for nearly a year and a half, going there every 6-8 weeks.

chitofftheshovel Fri 24-Feb-17 17:15:17

You want somebody to be consistently interested in....your hair.

Ok.

krystellie Fri 24-Feb-17 17:15:42

That's part of the reason why it's so odd - she was SO good for around a year and she always seemed very happy (and a bit surprised!) by my tips.

Maybe she has personal stuff on?

DianaMitford Fri 24-Feb-17 19:10:47

Well, yes, chit. It's entirely reasonable to expect your HAIRDRESSER to be consistently interested in your HAIR hmm

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Fri 24-Feb-17 19:15:32

What a weird thing to say. Isn't a hairdresser supposed to be interested in your hair? Isn't that kind of the point of being a hairdresser?

I'd be loath to drop them if they were consistently great - but she's not. So I'd not bother going back I don't think. Fuck em. She clearly has no loyalty to her regular customers (chit - that's totally normal as well) so why should you have loyalty to her?

CactusFred Fri 24-Feb-17 19:18:53

Yes how unreasonable to expect your hairdresser to be interested in your hair! wink

Sounds like she's got something else in her mind maybe? Still, if you're not happy I'd go somewhere else. I certainly wouldn't like it if I'd been forgotten!

YANBU

GeillisTheWitch Fri 24-Feb-17 19:21:51

I wouldn't go back, the missed appointment would be the final straw for me. I dropped a hairdresser for similar, I was the first customer of the day and she was really, really late seeing me because she'd decided to go to the wholesaler beforehand and even when she turned up 20 minutes after my appointment time she spent ages pissing about getting the stuff in from her car so it was about 45 minutes after my appointment that I finally got seen. If I hadn't needed my hair done for a party I was going to later that day I would have walked out. I certainly never went back there.

The80sweregreat Fri 24-Feb-17 19:23:51

Just go elsewhere.
Its her loss.

krystellie Fri 24-Feb-17 19:29:01

Thanks everyone, this is what I'm thinking too.

Whilst she's not overly expensive, it still works out as a decent amount ever 6 weeks or so and 'forgetting' the appointment today was very unprofessional.

Roomster101 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:35:11

I wouldn't think twice about going elsewhere. Why are you even wondering if you are being unreasonable? Anyway, since when do hairdresser have to remember appointments i.e. how could she "forget"? Surely it would be in the diary/computer?

justilou Fri 24-Feb-17 22:00:49

Isn't it funny how we feel the need to "break up" with hairdressers and get all awkward? If it was any other service that we're paying for, we'd just storm out in outrage.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Fri 24-Feb-17 22:12:26

I think you're right OP, that hairdressers become complacent. When you first go to them, they listen to your ideas, make suggestions and you're happy. Then, over time, things slip and the cut is not what you want and it's difficult to manage.

I realise this is a massive generalisation, but it is why I'm now on my fourth hairdresser in two years. Poor colour, uneven cuts, unflattering styles have all contributed. I loved, loved, loved, one hairdresser and then we moved away. Sob!

Marmalady75 Fri 24-Feb-17 23:24:55

Would you go back to a GP who forgot your appointment, went home and then suggested you call back sometime next week??? Ditch her.

PickAChew Fri 24-Feb-17 23:28:29

Just quietly move on. She's not doing what she needs to in order to earn your unwavering loyalty.

Jenniferb21 Fri 24-Feb-17 23:32:01

Yeh try a new salon definitely. Life is hard enough without having a patchy colour! Xxxx

dustarr73 Fri 24-Feb-17 23:39:41

No i wouldnt go back,her not being there was the final straw.That was rude and very unprofessional.

Shes not worried about you,so extend her the same courtesy.

Lucked Fri 24-Feb-17 23:48:36

i have a friend who is a hairdresser, they make their living on repeat business it is expensive and time consuming to have to be focused on advertising and attracting new trade. You have to respect your clients and the stability they give your business.

Go elsewhere.

TheFlyingFauxPas Sat 25-Feb-17 00:04:42

I have had this a few times. One I went to for years and she was fab did what I wanted and I loved it. Then she made out she didn't understand what I. Wanted. When she'd done it forever! She got quite an arsy attitude and made me feel really uncomfortable so I stopped going there.

I'm waiting for my hair to grow a bit as I hacked bits of at the front with dogs thinning scissors. Now a bit of a mullet shock

Considering a change again as my lovely (she's really lovely) hairdresser seems to have gone off. It used to look lovely and Id keep looking at it saying oh I do love my hair. Not doing that now. Mum's got a new chap she keeps raving about. He's up in a little row of estate shops but people are raving about him! He's the next big thing in our town !

Sheezus Sat 25-Feb-17 00:50:30

Regardless of what she may have going on etc as previous posters have mentioned it's totally unprofessional to leave you hanging like that.

I once found a great hairdresser. Lovely, really interested suggesting styles and all of that.
My sister was so impressed, she started to use that salon too.
Once the stylist found out we were sisters it's like she couldn't separate us!
I'd go in, stylist would suggest a fringe. I'd be delighted with my new do. Would bump into sister two weeks later with the same haircut.
New colour, sister would have the same colour!
I stopped going there. Sister still does.

TheMaddHugger Sat 25-Feb-17 06:13:44

She might have something going on in her life that is troubling her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now