Talk

Advanced search

washer-dryer 3 months out of warranty

(2 Posts)
kat088 Fri 24-Feb-17 12:54:41

My washer dryer stopped turning yesterday out of the blue. I'm 3 months out of the 1 year warranty so called the retailer and I've been advised there's nothing they can do, I could try the manufacturer.

AIBU to think that the sale of goods or some such thing means a £500 washing/dryer is not fit for purpose if it breaks that soon into it's working life and the retailer should still be liable for repairs.

Do I need to escalate this with the retailer or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Fri 24-Feb-17 13:00:45

Go back to the retailer as your contract is with them. The warranty means nothing - a product has to be fit for purpose and that includes durability. It's no longer Sale of Goods Act as the Consumer Rights Act has succeed it and consolidated two other acts. See here for lots of helpful info: www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

A reasonable person would expect a washer dryer to last at least 5 years I would think?

That said, have you tried emptying the filter? That usually fixes most things in new-ish machines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now