Talk

Advanced search

Banning golliwogs?

(156 Posts)
Dreamgal Fri 24-Feb-17 10:52:23

After watching a C4 programme on "PC gone mad" last night, I spotted a link to a Facebook video - see link below which gives 3 key reasons. Not sure how I feel about actually banning golliwogs (as that's censorship), but they do seem to bring out the worst in some factions of our society.

www.facebook.com/Gollytots/videos/1598189463544441

Chloe84 Fri 24-Feb-17 11:01:12

3 reasons for what? Banning or not banning golliwogs?

This subject has been done to death.

SayNoToCarrots Fri 24-Feb-17 11:02:18

It's suggesting stopping their manufacture. It's one of the few 'black' dolls, and it's an offensive and ugly representation. Black children see glamorous / human looking white dolls and then this monstrosity and internalise the idea that that is how they are viewed.

Die hard racists can keep the one their great granny knitted, but I think it's fair to ask that they are not manufactured any more.

KidLorneRoll Fri 24-Feb-17 11:02:44

We shouldn't go around banning things just because we don't like them.

That said, anyone who doesn't understand the inherent issue with golliwogs really needs to educate themselves.

kittybiscuits Fri 24-Feb-17 11:02:53

Lord how many times....

alltouchedout Fri 24-Feb-17 11:05:09

I think refusing to take action that protects people from prejudice and discrimination on the grounds that "it's censorship" to do so is ridiculous. if people tell you something hurts them, listen and act. Their right not to be hurt overrides other people's right to hurt them.

Dreamgal Fri 24-Feb-17 11:07:30

Chloe84: 3 reasons for banning golliwogs. Like the title of the thread suggested.

KidLorneRoll Fri 24-Feb-17 11:08:44

Given that the video has been produced by a company that produces PC versions of the dolls, it is hard not to be cynical about the motivation behind it...

user1471517900 Fri 24-Feb-17 11:09:46

Could you summarise the reasons for us so everyone doesn't have to watch a video to find out what they are?

Chloe84 Fri 24-Feb-17 11:17:36

It really wasn't clear from the title, OP, as the programme was called 'PC gone mad', so the video may have 3 non-PC reasons why Golliwogs should be banned.

Chloe84 Fri 24-Feb-17 11:19:54

*should not be banned

CaoNiMa Fri 24-Feb-17 11:23:59

I know three good reasons for banning golliwogs (even though I thought they'd already been banned...)

1. They're racist.

2. They're racist.

3. They're racist.

c3pu Fri 24-Feb-17 11:27:27

I remember my mum saved up tokens from the marmalade, then sent off for one.

When it arrived, I was like "Dafuq is this?"

They're clearly a bit wrong.

caffeineanddryshampoo Fri 24-Feb-17 11:36:48

As a kid I used to collect the marmalade badges but I had no idea what they were, just thought they were a toy.

GanderSauce Fri 24-Feb-17 11:37:26

I think Politically Correct people are just the "curtain twitchers" of old on a new 'moral' campaign. The fact that they want to police people's thoughts and the most trivial nonsense, always proves to me they have never had a serious issue to think about in their whole life.

Areyoufree Fri 24-Feb-17 11:37:52

They still make golliwogs?

BertrandRussell Fri 24-Feb-17 11:41:42

"I think Politically Correct people are just the "curtain twitchers" of old on a new 'moral' campaign. The fact that they want to police people's thoughts and the most trivial nonsense, always proves to me they have never had a serious issue to think about in their whole life."

I don't want to police people's thoughts. Words and actions, possibly. If they are racist, sexist, homophobic, disablist or ageist thoughts and actions. But I don't want anything to do with your thoughts.

ghostyslovesheets Fri 24-Feb-17 11:43:52

Trivial nonsense like racism sexism or homophobia- I'm guessing that's the kind of trivial nonsense you've not had to deal with

Willow2016 Fri 24-Feb-17 11:48:47

Golliwogs have nothing to do with censorship of free speech etc.

Did you actually watch the video? If you did its obvious why they should be banned. What bit didnt you understand? Why did you even post if you watched the video?

I had one as a child many moons ago, to me it was just a toy I didnt know the racist connotations at all. Now its pretty obvious.

BertrandRussell Fri 24-Feb-17 12:00:37

Just to be clear- some people have always known that gollywogs are racist. My mother explained to to me 50 years ago.

ghostyslovesheets Fri 24-Feb-17 12:15:55

Yes Bert - we collected the Robinsons ones for years as a kid (early 1970s) then my mum realised how awful they where - they are now in a museum in Liverpool
I'm astonished that in 2017 people still don't get it

RaisinsAndApple Fri 24-Feb-17 12:28:43

I found my childhood one in the attic the other day and threw it away. <shudder>

kittybiscuits Fri 24-Feb-17 12:43:39

They do get it....

stopfuckingshoutingatme Fri 24-Feb-17 12:47:08

oh we have not had a golly thread for a while

took one look at the comments next to the video and am stepping away

lets see if the stupids pop up here

harderandharder2breathe Fri 24-Feb-17 12:50:09

Racism is such a petty reason to ban something hmm

OP perhaps you should look up racism in the dictionary

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now