Talk

Advanced search

Should I really drive my husband from Knightsbridge to St. Pancras at 6pm?

(55 Posts)
MuseumOfCurry Thu 23-Feb-17 21:27:37

So today we had to visit (distant - husband's) relatives for lunch in Croydon. We live in Fulham, so it was not an easy drive.

We picked up/dropped my MIL off in Knightsbridge and my husband had to go onto the Eurostar tonight. My kids were home alone at this point and I'd been driving for 2 hours so I said: take a taxi to KX.

Should I have driven him? I'd have gotten home at 8.30!!!! He's pissed off and didn't take my call earlier.

offblackeggshell Thu 23-Feb-17 21:29:10

I'd have thought the tube would make most sense at that time! YANBU! He needs to get a grip.

Deadsouls Thu 23-Feb-17 21:30:19

No driving across central london at 6pm is insanity. Surely he could just get the Piccadilly line from Knightsbridge to Kings X. Sorry he sounds like he was being lazy.

justaweeone Thu 23-Feb-17 21:31:29

He needs to man up and get the tube
Sorry

SparklyLeprechaun Thu 23-Feb-17 21:31:58

What's wrong with the picadilly line? It's only a 20min journey or thereabouts

hibbledobble Thu 23-Feb-17 21:32:21

Tube is far quicker for that route at that time as others have pointed out.

DrivingMeBonkers Thu 23-Feb-17 21:32:38

Are the tubes even running?

Euston Underground, Kings Cross, St Pancras, Marylebone are evacuated

www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/storm-doris-london-rail-chaos-for-commuters-as-stations-evacuated-and-trains-cancelled-a3474761.html

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Thu 23-Feb-17 21:33:19

My DH had to rescue me from Milton Keynes tonight and is currently driving me to Darlington so I'm there for a work meeting tomorrow. I felt so bad asking him to drive all that way from Birmingham to MK - I can sympathise with you for not feeling like it as central London traffic is evil at the best of times.

MuseumOfCurry Thu 23-Feb-17 21:34:00

Are the tubes even running?

I dropped him at an intersection where he quickly caught a taxi.

Wigeon Thu 23-Feb-17 21:34:12

Surely the tube would be quicker? Crazy to be thinking of doing that journey on the road. Also, London this eve at rush hour was absolutely bonkers because of all the train cancellations caused by the high winds, so I would think the roads were busier with lots of people taking buses and taxis to different places.

He was being unreasonable.

MajorSharpesButtons Thu 23-Feb-17 21:35:38

Fuck no, the streets will be madness. It would probably be faster to walk than drive

MuseumOfCurry Thu 23-Feb-17 21:35:44

I'd just driven from Croydon to Knightsbridge so I kind of wanted to die without even considering KX.

Thanks all, glad to know I'm not being unreasonable.

Wigeon Thu 23-Feb-17 21:37:33

Yes, the tubes were running, and Euston was only temporarily closed due to overcrowding. Lots of delays and cancellations, but trains were actually setting off.

Cheby Thu 23-Feb-17 21:39:18

Taxi would take forever. Tube much faster/easier, even with luggage.

poochiepants Thu 23-Feb-17 21:40:31

No, you're not being unreasonable. Don't mind driving in london, but not if I'm going to be stuck in traffic for hours for someone else's benefit......

MuseumOfCurry Thu 23-Feb-17 21:41:32

Husband steadfastly refuses to take tube at rush hour, he's not fond of crowds.

My argument was that taxis can use the bus lane and I think that the major road leading to KX (Euston road?) has a bus lane?

ImperialBlether Thu 23-Feb-17 21:43:16

He's absolutely mad! And don't dare apologise for your decision. It was a really bad day for weather and transport - the least he could do was to get a cab.

Hassled Thu 23-Feb-17 21:43:59

Yes, there's a bus lane on Euston Road and no, YANBU. It would have been a bastard of a drive.

SparklyLeprechaun Thu 23-Feb-17 21:46:40

Yes, tube was running.

RedSauce Thu 23-Feb-17 21:48:24

TBF, the only thing worse than the tube at rush hour is traffic at rush hour.

But if he really prefers the latter, I'm sure he could get a bus.

He would have probably missed his train if you had tried to drive him. He should have taken the tube.

FromDistantOphir Thu 23-Feb-17 21:51:42

Total no-brainer to take the tube.

Has he lived in London for longer than 5 minutes? If so, he should know this.

FromDistantOphir Thu 23-Feb-17 21:53:34

Sorry, just read your post about his refusal to take tube. It's totally unfair of him to spare himself the 'discomfort' of a tube journey at rush hour and yet impose on you the hassle and discomfort of driving across town and back at that hour.
He's selfish.

MuseumOfCurry Thu 23-Feb-17 21:53:34

Has he lived in London for longer than 5 minutes?

40 years.

It was a choice between taxi and me driving. I think he made his train. I don't think he had a specific time booked but he's made it to Brussels.

LadyLapsang Thu 23-Feb-17 21:53:49

I would have used public transport for the whole trip unless someone was severely disabled / unable to use public transport.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now