Talk

Advanced search

To be so excited for DD to talk properly?

(27 Posts)
BlueDaBaDee Thu 23-Feb-17 20:47:30

My DD is nearly two. She's suddenly coming out with so many words. When I asked her tonight if she wanted some milk, she looked at me and said 'yesh please' instead of just screaming the word milk like a banshee grin

I'm soooo excited for her to be able to have proper conversations with me about stuff. For her to be able to come out with those funny preschooler quotes I always see threads about. For us to plan cute little nights in together watching the X factor or whatever with treats (single mum so I'm pretty much alone in the evenings).

But when I share these thoughts, everyone always laughs at me and says I have no idea what it will be like, and after the hundredth cry of 'whyyyyy???' I'll wish for my babbling baby back.

Feel like they're pissing on my parade tbh. I know she'll have her annoying moments she does now but I'm buzzing for her to be my best little bud. Am I deluded?

AnotherYellowBelly Thu 23-Feb-17 20:52:06

No you're not! My ds was a late talker and suddenly started talking in sentences just before he turned 3! I love hearing what is going on in his head and his cute way of saying words. He is so funny too and it's like having a little friend , he's brilliant company when we go out. The best thing is seeing how innocent he is from alllll the many questions he asks! I love that we can have a conversation now.

tabithakitty Thu 23-Feb-17 20:52:09

Enjoy every new stage as it comes, and take your fond memories with you, of the stage you are leaving behind star

My DD just turned 3 and says the most hilarious stuff

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 23-Feb-17 20:52:53

Oh I love it when they start talking its so adorable.
They way they pronounce certain words. You just want to pick them up and squeeeeze them
She'll be nattering a mile a minute soon. grin

AnotherYellowBelly Thu 23-Feb-17 20:53:45

He's a very laid back, happy and comical boy though which helps. Dd was very demanding and opinionated and I often found that frustrating!

Gardencentregroupie Thu 23-Feb-17 20:55:09

YANBU. My DD is 2.8 and still can't talk beyond single words, many difficult to understand. I would give my back teeth for a yes please and a conversation. Enjoy!

Musicaltheatremum Thu 23-Feb-17 20:57:11

My daughter didn't do words and just came out with complete sentences at 2 and a bit. Now she never shuts up and she will be 24 in 2 months! That's years not months!

She does all her phoning when walking to and from work or to the station (she's in London) and phones my parents at least once a week and chats for ages.

So yes, enjoy and encourage it. I've been blessed.

(Her brother started to talk by the book... Words then longer and longer sentences.... But he's hopeless on the phone and most of our conversations are by text quite frequently)

Just talk it's good

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Thu 23-Feb-17 20:59:00

Don't forget to log the first time she embarrasses you in public. The other week my toddler shouted that our supermarket smelled of cows bums!!

Blazedandconfused Thu 23-Feb-17 20:59:25

My DS is 3 now, and he's amazing. His comprehension and expression is wonderful. His little voice makes me melt. The best is "I love you, you're so cute" when cuddled up at bedtime.

Ds2 is especially frustrating though as I really hate the non talking (non sleeping) stage.

TheseAreTheGoodOldDays Thu 23-Feb-17 21:00:07

YANBU at all!
My DSD is 4 and a very good talker, it's enjoyable having conversations with her smile she's very good company, and we both look forward to the rare nights DP goes out so we can watch a film with snacks and have a girls night. It makes her a pleasure to spend time with, and some of the things she comes out with are hilarious!

DoloresAbernathy Thu 23-Feb-17 21:00:53

Oh lovely happy post! My DC is only 11 months, I'm wishing the time away getting excited about the next things he will learn to do but I can't help it 😁 enjoy it Op and don't let anyone piss on your chips!

Nquartz Thu 23-Feb-17 21:01:59

Enjoy it, it's so gosh darn cute when they start talking. I can still remember the first time DD put two words together & she's nearly 5.
It just gets better too, the conversations we have now are fab

Nquartz Thu 23-Feb-17 21:02:38

PS film her as much as possible so you can watch it back whenever you like

Buildalegohouse Thu 23-Feb-17 21:13:11

I love this age. DD is 2.4 and has just started putting sentences together. Tonight she said 'mama and dada and me. Fam fam'. Arrrr soooo cute. She point blank refuses to say 'love you' though. When we say it to her she says 'yep'. grin

Somehowsomewhere Thu 23-Feb-17 21:13:25

Ah it's lovely, I adore my conversations with my 3 year old. Especially the stories she tells me about her day at pre school.
My 19 month old has picked up language really quickly and puts together 3-4 word sentences which is great. Can't wait til I can chat to them both properly!

Somehowsomewhere Thu 23-Feb-17 21:13:56

We do get 'why?' a lot though!

BellonaBelladonna Thu 23-Feb-17 21:15:41

Oh yes its lovely. Enjoy your chatting dd. I know just what you mean

Kokapetl Thu 23-Feb-17 21:19:44

YANBU, it's brilliant when they are starting to talk properly. My 3 year old comes out with some amazing phrases. Also once they are talking properly, bribery and negotiation come into play! He hardly ever asks why though, maybe because I tend to respond with a very complicated explanation!

BellyBean Thu 23-Feb-17 21:19:52

Yes I love my chatty nearly 3yo. Makes life easier when she can tell me exactly what she needs (with complicated games she makes up for eg), and she can now tell me what she did at nursery which is lovely. Not many whys, more strong negotiation!

Somehowsomewhere Thu 23-Feb-17 21:26:45

He hardly ever asks why though, maybe because I tend to respond with a very complicated explanation!

I do this too, she loves the complicated explanations! Gives her chance to ask more questions...
She's even tested my a-level biology and physics a few times!

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 23-Feb-17 21:29:42

It's so lovely when they can talk but they are still babies really so they ask you crazy questions about how the world works.

When DD was about 2.4 she asked me why there was salad all over our car. It was the first fallen leaves of Autumn. She looked at me like I was losing the plot when I told her that pretty soon most of the leaves would be falling off the trees.

Aroundtheworldandback Thu 23-Feb-17 21:47:51

Sorry to piss on everyone's paradegrin but my gorgeous little cherub has somehow turned 19 and just told me to get a life...

Sandsnake Thu 23-Feb-17 21:47:56

Lovely thread. So nice to hear from people finding joy in their kids smile

monkeyfacegrace Thu 23-Feb-17 21:51:58

I love little toddler chats.

Dd1 was mega mega slow, about 3.5 before she could talk properly.
Ds was normal ish, good chats around 2.5

Toddler dd2 has been talking in full 5-10 word sentences since 18 months. It's freakish. She's 2 soon and we have THE BEST chats on car journeys. She's awesome and absolutely my best little buddy.

Except when she wakes me at 7am saying 'haha mummy I trumpet on your head'. I blame ds for teaching her that one grin

SomethingBorrowed Thu 23-Feb-17 22:03:33

YANBU!
My DTs are 3, I love it when they talk!
My friends say they are tired of their DC talking all the time, I don't get it.

They are so funny at this age!!
"This pea is naughty! It escaped from my spoon!" is today's dinner best quote

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now